Author Topic: Graphical TRACReport  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
Graphical TRACReport
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:52:32 AM »
I've added a color coded graphical trac report that gets the data from the TRACReport text file. At this point, it works without any known errors  but the script can be shortened and sweetend up somehow and I'm at a dead end with my php skills. I just can't release it this way and would really like some help to finish it.
If you want to get involved with this, let me know!

The graphical trac report can be seen at the top of the page only if there is a storm being tracked. If there are no storms, click on the link at the bottom of the page for the demo. http://www.weather.ricksturf.com/lightning.php

Thanks
Curly

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Re: Graphical TRACReport
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
Very nice addition. I wish I could help you out. What is it you are stuck with?

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:12:49 PM »
Thanks MesquiteXmas.

This will list up to 10 active storms and each storm has a table with 11 cells. That's a lot of lines that can be reduced, somehow...

I'm still working on it and learning as I go.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:33:34 AM »
Ok this I might actually be able to help you with if it is what I think you are needed.

So you are wanting to limit less then 10 active storms? If this is true what way would you like to prioritize what storms you want to be shown?

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
The list gets too long and is distractive if there are more than 10 storms being tracked.  That's long enough for scrolling tickers too. IMHO
I thought about trend or strength priority but that would tend to make the storms in the chart jump around. No priority would work best.

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »
The Graphical TRACreport has been updated.
Smaller and XHTML 1.0 Strict.
http://weather.ricksturf.com/scripts/GTRsamples.php

Offline UniKyrn

• Local Weather for Otis Orchards, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:34:51 AM »
Thanks for making these available, it's a huge improvement over just dumping the raw text to the page.  I've noticed though that I get the following errors in my web servers error log each time the page is accessed, when no storms are being tracked.

[error] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  0 in /htdocs/Weather/NexStorm/tracreport2a.php on line 17
[error] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  0 in /htdocs/Weather/NexStorm/tracreport2a.php on line 24
[error] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  0 in /htdocs/Weather/NexStorm/tracreport2a.php on line 69
[error] PHP Notice:  Undefined offset:  0 in /htdocs/Weather/NexStorm/tracreport2a.php on line 73

It looks like the bounds of those arrays should be tested after the file is parsed to see if they actually contain anything.

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:12 AM »
Thanks UniKyrn,
I'll look into it this evening.
Curly