Author Topic: Acurite Wi-Fi Connection  (Read 5099 times)

Offline pianoman8849

Acurite Wi-Fi Connection
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Hi. I just bought an Acurite Pro 5 in 1 and have it installed. I'm now asking the most common question there is: I have read the instructions on how to hook up with WU from the Weather Display instruction manual. My problem is that my unit won't hook up with my wifi so I can't report anything. I have my station ID and password but that's as far as I can go. Number 3 on the instructions say: "Connect to the Wi-Fi signal (named AcuRite 06068M ) of the Acurite display from your computer or mobile device.

What "Wi-Fi signal? The wifi indicator on the display is flashing so it's not hooking up to my router and modem. How do I fix this?

Would having the Acurite Access device put me online and could I get to WU that way as well as My Acurite?

I would spend the money for the access unit, but only if it's going to work after I plug it into my router with the ethernet cable.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite Wi-Fi Connection
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 03:09:51 PM »
Hi. I just bought an Acurite Pro 5 in 1 and have it installed. I'm now asking the most common question there is: I have read the instructions on how to hook up with WU from the Weather Display instruction manual. My problem is that my unit won't hook up with my wifi so I can't report anything. I have my station ID and password but that's as far as I can go. Number 3 on the instructions say: "Connect to the Wi-Fi signal (named AcuRite 06068M ) of the Acurite display from your computer or mobile device.

What "Wi-Fi signal? The wifi indicator on the display is flashing so it's not hooking up to my router and modem. How do I fix this?

Would having the Acurite Access device put me online and could I get to WU that way as well as My Acurite?

I would spend the money for the access unit, but only if it's going to work after I plug it into my router with the ethernet cable.

Hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks.

Your display is currently working as a WiFi access point for itself and is emitting the network name "AcuRite 06068M".  That is to allow you to attach to the network name "AcuRite 06068M" with your smart phone or tablet.  Once that connection is established, you then set up the display through your smartphone or tablet so that it will have the necessary information to connect to your existing home WiFi network.

Once the setup is complete, the display will take down the "AcuRite 06068M" network, reset itself, and then attach to your existing home WiFi network.  Assuming the information you gave it is correct, all should be fine.  If not, you'll have to start over.

If you have an Access, you just connect an ethernet cable and everthing configures itself over the wire.

That will make wunderground work.  However, that model does not communicate to myAcurite.  I'm not sure why they built it that way... probably just to keep costs down since it doesn't require that they maintain a data center.

If you had an Access instead, you would get both wundergound and myAcurite.  Setting up the display connection wouldn't even be necessary except to get the Dark Sky forecasts from the internet (assuming your model has that feature).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:15:47 PM by nincehelser »

Offline pianoman8849

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »
HI. Thanks for the info. Am I misunderstanding something? I just went into the Wi-Fi settings on my smartphone and tried to add the network "AcuRite 06086". It doesn't pick up the signal from the display that you said it would be emitting. Thanks...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 04:42:13 PM »
HI. Thanks for the info. Am I misunderstanding something? I just went into the Wi-Fi settings on my smartphone and tried to add the network "AcuRite 06086". It doesn't pick up the signal from the display that you said it would be emitting. Thanks...

I imagine the WiFi setup may have timed out.  Further down in the instructions it says:

*Wi-Fi setup page is available for 30 minutes after the display is powered on.
After 30 minutes, press and release the "gear" button to re-activate the setup
page.

Offline pianoman8849

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »
Hi. I'm getting there. I did get the display on the WiFi but, of course, I can't be on my home wifi and the display simultaneously. I think I'll just get the AcuRite Access and get it over with. That way I can also be part of My Accurite as well as WU. I see my router has two more available Ethernet ports so no problem there.

Here in Canada, it's a better deal at Amazon than to buy from Acurite in US currency. The price is lower than Amazon but add the currency exchange of 25% plus higher shipping costs, that makes Amazon a better deal here in Canada.

Thanks for your help. Anything you could add about being on two wifi networks at the same time would be appreciated.

Rod

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
When I set mine up, I followed all the instructions step by step and it was a piece of cake.  FAR easier than setting up the Access or some of the other methods.

If I were you, I'd start all over and try again.  Perhaps watch a video on the topic.  Once you figure it out you'll love it.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Acurite Wi-Fi Connection
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
You don’t need to be on the display’s network in normal operation.  That is just to do the initial setup.  After setup, the display’s network goes away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BigSteve

• Wunderground sticker
    • My station on Weather underground
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 02:49:55 PM »
I had the exact problem with a new 3 in one Acurite station.  Your instructions were spot on.  Thanks.  I like to think I'm above average when it comes to computers, but I was still hitting the wall with the instructions.  Acurite should reprint your instructions in their manual.
Steve

Sarasota Florida:

anything