Author Topic: Any Substitutions to WD  (Read 15212 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Any Substitutions to WD
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:24 AM »
You could give a try to Cumulus.

The only thing I am afraid of is that I understand what you are saying, but I also see it from the developer´s point of view and I understand Brian too. Because to refer back to the example you gave - I cannot think of any other way to describe or explain "DHCP" - it is just "something" that does not have any other name.

See if Cumulus does a better job for you. It is donationware so you can simply download it for free, give it a try and if you like it, consider donating to Steve (the developer). There is also a forum for it and many people on this forum use it too so if you have any problems there will always be somebody to help.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 08:50:05 AM »
Thanks Jachym,

I am going to take a serious look at it.

Do you know if it works with the scripts found here or is it a stand alone type of program.

Also before I forget -thanks for your patient support over the years. I don't know how you guys keep your head on when working with guys like me, lol

yamiacaveman

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 09:00:08 AM »
Hi,

not sure what exactly you mean by "scripts found here".

Cumulus is just like WD, it is a normal software that you install on your PC and runs locally, it is not a template, it communicates with your station.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »
Bushman and Jachym, U guys have room for one more?
Slackware and Debian here :D

Been using UNIX/Linux Sense FreeBSD was for sale up at CompUSA... :P

I just finish a project a few weeks back. Migrated the Virtualize version of Meteohub to Debian 7.9 x86 on a oVirt Cluster. :D
Dont hit me with a stick docbee! lol :P

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:33 AM »
Hi,

Cumulus is just like WD,

:shock: ... Cumulus is still at the beginning of the food chain (imo) just before VWS  :mrgreen:
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 11:06:09 AM »
I meant in principle - it is a software, it downloads data from your station to your PC and you can then process and analyze it. I agree that WD is better and more advanced, but look at the name of the thread... so recommending WD is probably not the best idea :-)

Also for some, simpler software could be better.

OT: I really feel sorry for you Carl when I see your banner in the signature with -15 °C :D

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
-15 is nothing.... :roll:
-30 ...now we're talkin  \:D/

;)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
-15 is nothing.... :roll:
-30 ...now we're talkin  \:D/

;)

inside or outside?  :grin:

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
I'm in NE Pennsylvania, so far this year I'm kind of liking global warming, lol.

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2015, 02:32:45 PM »
Good luck in your quest caveman, and don't let your spurs kick out  ;)

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:35:21 PM by Mtn_man »

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2015, 04:08:43 PM »
Thanks MTn_man!!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
:shock: ... Cumulus is still at the beginning of the food chain (imo) just before VWS  :mrgreen:
Your opinion, but not mine as it does an excellent job for my needs and many others.

Paul

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
Probably the best alternative to WD is Cumulus

http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus
I'll second Jachym's Cumulus suggestion.  I have Cumulus set so that it is immune from computer shutdowns and reboots in the middle of the night.  No more messages from WU that my data stream stopped like I was experiencing with WD and WL, especially.

It's not just Windows updates that could clog things up after a reboot, it's also reboots after certain virus and malware programs do their thing in the middle of the night and cause a reboot.

I've  been using Cumulus for only a week, but find it to be as complete as I need given that there are other things that compete for my time.  The predominant comments it gets on the boards is "stable", "bullet proof".  I will add: attractive, intuitive, very user friendly, yet all the features the great majority of us will ever want. 

And I will also second Jachym's observation that many of us don't need a program that is so "deep" and "feature rich" that we will never use 80% of what it offers.  Tons of features can sometimes get in the way of straight forward functionality.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply gfmucci!

Know me it will probably take some time before I decide and then implement.

It is good to hear from others (in this forum that I trust) that the product is stable and worth a look at.

yamiacaveman

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »
As a "Senior Member" going on 70 now :shock: getting Cumulus downloaded, installed, and linked to my Vue took about 10 minutes.  Playing with its settings so it reboots with the computer took another 10.  Hooking it up with WU took 2 minutes, and with CWOP another 2 minutes after I found my sign in info.  And for good measure I created a Weather Bug account and linked to that, even though they inform us they are not posting yet due to some sort of upgrade they are performing.

First step:  Just download the program to see if you like the interface.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 11:28:46 AM by gfmucci »

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2015, 11:34:59 AM »
Your opinion, but not mine as it does an excellent job for my needs and many others.

Paul

Its all about the interface i think...Cumulus does a great job...like most of the others... ;)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2015, 11:41:38 AM »
As a "Senior Member" going on 70 now :shock: getting Cumulus downloaded, installed, and linked to my Vue took about 10 minutes.  Playing with its settings so it reboots with the computer took another 10.  Hooking it up with WU took 2 minutes, and with CWOP another 2 minutes after I found my sign in info.  And for good measure I created a Weather Bug account and linked to that, even though they inform us they are not posting yet due to some sort of upgrade they are performing.

Yes I agree that setting up Cumulus is farily straight-forward, on the other hand I think that Weather Display is also not difficult, there are many more options and things it can do, but if you want just the basics, it does the job quite well too.

And most importantly, there is a very active and helpful forum, where many people offer help, in particular Brian (the developer) who has recently also started publishing "how to videos", which in my opinion is the best possible way of showing others how to do something. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and video where you can see exactly where to click and how to set it up, is in this case probably worth a million words :-)

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »

This scenario (waking up and something not working) eventually always happens for no reason after sometimes a good run of a year.

Not being facetious but for a program running 24/7/365 a year without problems doesn't seem that bad. I am running WD, 3 instances of GR3, Webcam 7,  WxSim,  SebecTec . Much more likely to wake up and find something other than WD not running.
All Windows auto-updates are shut down as are Malware scans. I run them while I am sitting at my weather computer and do any re-starts that are required at that time. Converting 10 years of data over to another weather program sounds a little time consuming.

Which ever route you choose to take good luck, Doug

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 12:04:56 PM »

Yes I agree that setting up Cumulus is farily straight-forward, on the other hand I think that Weather Display is also not difficult, there are many more options and things it can do, but if you want just the basics, it does the job quite well too.

And most importantly, there is a very active and helpful forum, where many people offer help, in particular Brian (the developer) who has recently also started publishing "how to videos", which in my opinion is the best possible way of showing others how to do something. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and video where you can see exactly where to click and how to set it up, is in this case probably worth a million words :)

I've never installed Cumulus but am running both VWS and WD. WD is much more challenging to get setup initially simply due to the number of optional settings it has. Making a video or a manual is great; HOWEVER, the major issue that rears its' ugly head is the task of keeping documentation/videos up-to-date so they match the current version of software. Look at VWS, for example. The manual hasn't been touched in many years and that adds to the confusion for new users.

It seems that the documentation always lags the software releases...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »

And most importantly, there is a very active and helpful forum, where many people offer help, in particular Brian (the developer) who has recently also started publishing "how to videos", which in my opinion is the best possible way of showing others how to do something. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and video where you can see exactly where to click and how to set it up, is in this case probably worth a million words :)

I've never installed Cumulus but am running both VWS and WD. WD is much more challenging to get setup initially simply due to the number of optional settings it has. Making a video or a manual is great; HOWEVER, the major issue that rears its' ugly head is the task of keeping documentation/videos up-to-date so they match the current version of software. Look at VWS, for example. The manual hasn't been touched in many years and that adds to the confusion for new users.

It seems that the documentation always lags the software releases...

True, but as far as I know, Brian does make changes quite often, but those are minor things, new features etc., but the basics have been the same for quite a long time. Videos are up-to-date.

I also see it from the developer´s point of view and one thing I love about WD is its consistency. For example, the clientraw. New things have been added to it over the years, but that is always to the end of the file - meaning field numbers remain the same. It uses always the same units, always the same date format, always the same decimal separator, data delimiter etc. From my point of view, this is ideal - as a developer you know exactly how to work with the data and how you then show it to the user is up to you, converting it is simple.

In this sense Cumulus for example uses various date delimiters, various decimal separators, various data field separators... and I was dealing with this only a few hours ago when one of the users wrote to me because their log imports did not work.

I am by no means saying Cumulus is not a good SW, but in some respects WD is much better and the videos are up-to-date and basics not changing.

Offline yamiacaveman

• Forecaster
    • Penn Lake Weather
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
Hey Jachym and All,

Thanks for the heads up on the WD's video's -- That is probably something I can use.

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
Take the time to ''mount'' your main interface like you want...so many possibilitys

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
The screen above (en francais) is exactly why my licensed copy of WD is gathering dust.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
The screen above (en francais) is exactly why my licensed copy of WD is gathering dust.

OK the point is - having extra features is always good. If you don´t want to use them - don´t, if you do - do so.

I understand WD could be at first sight confusing because of all the things it can do, but as I said already, in my opinion, there is unbeatable amount of info on the forum, there are now even videos and if still in doubt, you can always ask here or at the WD forum and you will soon get a reply from either Brian or others.

Offline ericfynne

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2015, 01:53:34 PM »
OK the point is - having extra features is always good. If you don´t want to use them - don´t, if you do - do so.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_bloat

anything