Author Topic: Pro 2 rain tipper  (Read 607 times)

Offline rob.quick

Pro 2 rain tipper
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:55:15 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased a Davis Pro 2 (6152UK) weather station which arrived early December 2019. Having read various posts on this forum I'm starting to think that my station should have come with the new Davis single spoon tipping bucket (7345.425) assembly rather than the older 'seesaw' tipping Bucket Assembly (7345.444) that it came with.

Is that a fair assumption, have I been given older stock ?

Thanks.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
Re: Pro 2 rain tipper
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:45:53 PM »
Hi,

I recently purchased a Davis Pro 2 (6152UK) weather station which arrived early December 2019. Having read various posts on this forum I'm starting to think that my station should have come with the new Davis single spoon tipping bucket (7345.425) assembly rather than the older 'seesaw' tipping Bucket Assembly (7345.444) that it came with.
Is that a fair assumption, have I been given older stock ?

Thanks.

Yes, I’m afraid you got the older stock.
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
Since the spoon has been out for awhile, is there any general consensus that this design represents an advance or improvement over the older style tipper?

I have tippers all over the place but hope to get a VP2 this late winter for installation in the spring, and according to Ryan, all the new Davis stuff has the spoon style.  I can always swap the sensor with a tipper such as a WeatherTronics or Texas Instruments or such if there is an advantage to the older style, too.

Just curious as to what those who've used this new one think now that it is out for awhile.

I'm suspicious, but willing to be educated!

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 10:44:12 PM »
Since the spoon has been out for awhile, is there any general consensus that this design represents an advance or improvement over the older style tipper?

I have tippers all over the place but hope to get a VP2 this late winter for installation in the spring, and according to Ryan, all the new Davis stuff has the spoon style.  I can always swap the sensor with a tipper such as a WeatherTronics or Texas Instruments or such if there is an advantage to the older style, too.

Just curious as to what those who've used this new one think now that it is out for awhile.

Dale
The new design has gotten mixed reviews, I think a little more bad than good. Just spend $80 on a Rainwise 111 and hard wire it into the ISS, incredibly simple to do. The RW has the larger catch, twice as accurate on paper, and very consistent. I would never even consider the new design over the RW, it's a great VP2 mod.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 03:59:55 AM »

The changeover from the old to new tipper designs by Davis has happened only slowly and steadily, certainly for UK spec stations. It took a long time after the spoon was announced before we saw the first new stock shipped from the factory with the spoon and then only in wireless Plus stations. Standard 6152 stations were still shipping with the previous tipper until very recently (in fact, without checking, I'm not sure if the changeover to 100% spoon is complete even now).

So a station shipped at the start of Dec would likely have represented stock available to the dealer at the time and so, no, not likely in any sense to be old stock.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:16:19 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rob.quick

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 04:45:47 AM »

The changeover from the old to new tipper designs by Davis has happened only slowly and steadily, certainly for UK spec stations. It took a long time after the spoon was announced before we saw the first new stock shipped from the factory with the spoon and then only in wireless Plus stations. Standard 6152 stations were still shipping with the previous tipper until very recently (in fact, without checking, I'm not sure if the changeover to 100% spoon is complete even now).

So a station shipped at the start of Dec would likely have represented stock available to the dealer at the time and so, no, not likely in any sense to be old stock.

That's helpful, I did think about ringing the dealer.......but it sounds like they've supplied current stock anyway.

Offline jgentry

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:53 PM »

Dale

I have the spoon for one of my stations and it performs very well. Typically reads the same or .01-.03” more than the cocorahs
Davis Vantage Pro2 & WeatherFlow Tempest. WU: KXALJEMI2, KALJEMIS7, KFLPANAM363 & KALTHORS2. CWOP/APRS: C6353 & E6358

anything