Author Topic: Fall/Winter '18/'19  (Read 34850 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Fall/Winter '18/'19
« Reply #500 on: February 26, 2019, 03:02:08 PM »
No doubt. The west and southwest have been under the influence of trough after trough after trough since basically mid Nov. I can't recall more cloudy days, more below normal temps than I have this season, and I've been here 30 years now. Finally, we have something called a 'ridge', I think, starting to dominate our weather with mid to upper 70's as the week progresses. The rain has been nice, but certainly good to see some 'seasonable' weather for a change.  =D>

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #501 on: February 26, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
Not sorry LA.
Father in Law in Palm Spring says it was cool there too. May not have been 80 this winter.

Las Vegas has had 5 different snow days this winter.
Today we were supposed to reach into the teens but only 6° at 2pm. I'm about ready to call out UNCLE myself, as much as I enjoy winter you can get cabin fever after awhile.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #502 on: February 26, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
No doubt. The west and southwest have been under the influence of trough after trough after trough since basically mid Nov. I can't recall more cloudy days, more below normal temps than I have this season, and I've been here 30 years now. Finally, we have something called a 'ridge', I think, starting to dominate our weather with mid to upper 70's as the week progresses. The rain has been nice, but certainly good to see some 'seasonable' weather for a change.  =D>

I saw Flagstaff set an all-time daily snow record last week. 36" or something like that, goes back 100 years. That was impressive. For those unfamiliar with Arizona Flagstaff is a mountain community of about 100k population 7000' elevation. I lived north of Flag for over 40 years.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #503 on: February 26, 2019, 03:53:51 PM »
And yet, we've had an extremely mild Winter.  Like I mentioned a few pages back, looking at the CPC outlooks, it seems there has been a significant dividing line somewhere around the Mississippi river up to Indiana or so.  Cold west and north of there, warm east and south.

For us, October, December, January and February have all been above normal.  November was below.

We've had very little snow, maybe a couple of 3 inchers.  But we've had tons of rain.  The ground has stayed mostly muddy with very few mornings it froze a bit.  Only a few days has it stayed frozen all day.  My outdoor fish pond has had almost no ice on it all Winter except for a few days in November.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #504 on: February 26, 2019, 03:58:14 PM »
Forecast is showing a cold snap the 3rd to the 6th however, so we'll see what happens.  Nothing extreme though.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #505 on: February 26, 2019, 04:24:12 PM »
And yet, we've had an extremely mild Winter. 

Nothing mild about it up here, we started getting snow October 6". If you look at the means for our cold 5 months Oct-Feb. we are running -19° so far.  March doesn't look promising either at least for first couple weeks being forecast below normal. So won't be surprised to be around -25° through March.

Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #506 on: February 26, 2019, 05:26:16 PM »
Not sorry LA.
Father in Law in Palm Spring says it was cool there too. May not have been 80 this winter.

Today we were supposed to reach into the teens but only 6° at 2pm. I'm about ready to call out UNCLE myself, as much as I enjoy winter you can get cabin fever after awhile.

That was the title of this article in the Fort Dodge Iowa paper.

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/02/uncle/

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #507 on: February 26, 2019, 05:29:58 PM »
And yet, we've had an extremely mild Winter.  Like I mentioned a few pages back, looking at the CPC outlooks, it seems there has been a significant dividing line somewhere around the Mississippi river up to Indiana or so.  Cold west and north of there, warm east and south.
Exactly for the reason mentioned above. The long term pattern has been an amplified jet stream (not unusual in winter) with troughs consistently over the west/sw and the east/south with the ridges all season. Usually we share, not this time.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #508 on: February 26, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
Not sorry LA.

That was the title of this article in the Fort Dodge Iowa paper.

http://www.messengernews.net/news/local-news/2019/02/uncle/

What a mess, worse than here.
You know its bad when "The snow was so bad, Wright County Engineer Adam Clemons said, the plow trucks were pulled off the roads."   [tup]
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #509 on: February 26, 2019, 05:43:53 PM »
And the beat goes on, the first 4 days of March. Discussion says the 23° may be overly optimistic Friday. I'm sure it is like the 17 for today was, we weren't close at 9°.
Mind you normal is 42° for high early March.
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #510 on: February 26, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
I think I stated before, I'm more than a wee bit concerned about what will happen down stream when all that snow begins to melt.  I know you want spring up there, but I almost hate to say, I hope the warm up is slow enough so it doesn't all melt in a short time.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #511 on: February 26, 2019, 06:48:33 PM »
Valentine--true.  There is a train stuck in Southern Minnesota.
My sister was supposed to drive back to DSM Sunday. They left today.

MPLS to DSM  5 hours.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #512 on: February 26, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
I think I stated before, I'm more than a wee bit concerned about what will happen down stream when all that snow begins to melt.  I know you want spring up there, but I almost hate to say, I hope the warm up is slow enough so it doesn't all melt in a short time.

Slow is good.  [tup]
Randy

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #513 on: February 26, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »
Pretty much right on normal down here, the CLM reports have the 'temp departure from normal' and averages at about +1F. IOW, the usual pleasant WX, which alternates here with the passages of various frontal systems, warm a few days (highs 70-80's), cooler a few more.
Normal all around the area, checked a few F-6's, etc., and the graph below shows the dailies just bouncing around in the average band. Not that some years haven't trended to the extremes.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #515 on: February 27, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »
In Stillwater late this morning, the streets and bridges generally weren't bad from the freezing mist or drizzle. Evidently, the street
surfaces were still above freezing from highs being in the low 60s on Monday. Temps this morning got a little lower than expected.  Stillwater Civil Defense Director took another tour of the streets here:

https://www.facebook.com/StwSema/videos/2001524866816940/?multi_permalinks=2085717278185451%2C2085385461551966%2C2085696231520889%2C2085688861521626%2C2085652481525264&notif_id=1551268722547410&notif_t=group_activity

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:23:46 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #516 on: February 27, 2019, 06:34:54 PM »
Aaahhhhhh... not quite paradise, but it'll do for now. Fired up the house aircon (again).
The weeds and grass (charitably speaking, it doesn't do all that well on a giant sand dune and limestone) are going crazy.
Gonna give up on the old Craftsman lawn tractor for now, going to get one of those neat Ryobi 100ah battery-powered electric tractors.
Add a few more solar panels (make a nice 'shed' over the parked tractor), then have hardly any maintenance and NO fuel, filters, oil, plugs, or belts needed; just the usual blade sharpening and tire repairs.
Quiet, no fumes or heat, powerful. About $25 worth of electricity per year to keep it charged from an outlet, solar is free; and there is a 'right' way to treat SLA batteries to make them last 5-7+ years.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:37:16 PM by Jstx »

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #517 on: February 28, 2019, 07:16:17 AM »
FYI, there are DIY kits available to do an electric conversion on most gas-powered lawn tractors, and they sell for $2,000 less than the Ryobi tractor.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #518 on: February 28, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »
63 Tuesday, 61 yesterday, forecast to barely make 35 today.

Brief warmup for a couple of days, then into the freeze for Monday and Tuesday, barely making 30, if at all.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #519 on: February 28, 2019, 01:29:50 PM »
FYI, there are DIY kits available to do an electric conversion on most gas-powered lawn tractors, and they sell for $2,000 less than the Ryobi tractor.....

Thanks for pointing that out, interesting. I can't see such conversions costing less than the $700-900 difference in price though. The Ryobi 100Ah/48V is ~$2.9K, around $1K more than a comparable gas unit. But the benefits (as partially covered above post) make it worth to me ATT: no fuel, oil, belts, etc.; keep it plugged into the charger, don't take the batts below 50% discharge, etc., and it's almost hassle-free, hopefully reliable and durable, hell at my age one of my kids will enjoy it for years :]... (recently got an SUV, the 'Burban is tired, would have jumped at an EV or Hybrid one at a reasonable price, but those few available are still way too pricey for me, and seem small compared to the ol' K1500 GMC 'burban).
The batteries alone (SLA AGM or gel deep cycle, 300-400Ah total cap, 4 12V batts in series) cost almost that much (I know: use cheaper golf cart batts instead...still $4-500/set last time I checked). Plus the cost of the drive and deck motors, wiring and controls...
Rather place an order, get the pallet delivered (700#), unpack and put it together, charge it, and cut away.
PS: Consumer Reports did a review a while ago, don't know if the link will work for y'all, might have to be a subscriber:
https://www.consumerreports.org/lawn-tractors/ryobi-r48110-electric-riding-lawn-mower-is-worth-a-look/

I know because I've wanted to refit my diesel aux powered sailboat for years to an electric auxiliary, and have watched the topic (complicated) and market fairly closely. The electric conversion systems on the (boat) market are still way too expensive for me (batts + propulsion), but with solar and wind gen, would be real nice to have.
If the Yanmar diesel itself needed replacing, the cost delta would improve to a 'maybe' (small marine diesels are often the same basic engine used in millions of land/construction uses, but are always much more $$$...).
Of course on a sailboat, an electric/diesel aux propulsion plant is just that- a secondary source, wind being primary, not so for a lawn mower. And yes, you can assemble and build your own electric propulsion and save a little money. Then there's the issue of lithium lifepo4 batts versus LA: $$$ v. $...

Besides, on my 20yo Craftsman 22hp lawn tractor the deck is becoming the main headache. The sand, very tough vegetation, heat, etc., here is rough on a mower.
It's time. Yes, I have both a gas and electric push mower, which is OK for trimming around the house, but getting old for the whole enchilada.

Dang, front this AM has it down in the 40's, maybe 50 something later today, but 70's tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 01:47:54 PM by Jstx »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2019, 09:37:38 AM »
Weather person just said MPLS had 45 inches of snow in 29 days. 4th snowiest month ever recorded.

-12 below tonight with wind chill.

Thank god the sun in strong.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #521 on: March 02, 2019, 08:55:16 PM »
This is March right?  7 day forecast more of the same.
Windchill warnings tomorrow (-35) struggling to get above 0° (-18c) on thermometer. -15° (-26c) below next couple nights. Feb ended 15 below normal mean temperature. 13 of 28 days went below zero...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 09:04:51 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #522 on: March 02, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »
Feb ended 15 below normal mean temperature.
:shock: That's nuts...and ain't gettin' no better.
Not to rub it in, I hit 83F today with upper 80's progged by Wed., but cooling off again next weekend.

You'll get there, someday...

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #523 on: March 02, 2019, 09:27:49 PM »
Feb ended 15 below normal mean temperature.
:shock: That's nuts...and ain't gettin' no better.
Not to rub it in, I hit 83F today with upper 80's progged by Wed., but cooling off again next weekend.

You'll get there, someday...

It is nuts... We are gaining almost 3 minutes of sunlight each day. Something has to give. Meanwhile I'm enjoying it.
Crazy we only ended around 7th coldest February ever but records go way back some 130 years.
Randy

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #524 on: March 02, 2019, 10:50:42 PM »
Weather person just said MPLS had 45 inches of snow in 29 days. 4th snowiest month ever recorded.

-12 below tonight with wind chill.

Thank god the sun in strong.
I am worried about the flooding potential this spring and early summer. A quick thaw with a couple of substantial spring rains could cause real trouble. I am in the Cedar Rapids area and the last thing we need is another disaster like we had in 2008.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223