Author Topic: Ecowitt or what?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline caveman

Ecowitt or what?
« on: January 04, 2024, 02:34:52 PM »
In the market for a wireless weather station for my bungalow but it's a minefield out there! Hundreds of them. Budget up to £250.

Looked at loads of "best weather stations 2023"etc on line and most are saying the Ecowitt range are up there with the best, so I'm looking at the Ecowitt HP3500.

Is this a good, entry level station?

Any advice will be appreciated by this young 85yo🤣🤣

Offline Glente45

• Long time weather geek from Denmark
Re: Ecowitt or what?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 05:24:10 PM »
The Ecowitt system with the clones are affordable and flexible in may ways. I have had a station for 4 years and is very pleased with it - no part of the system have failed until now.....

Be aware that the frequency is different depending on where you are
Froggit DP 1500 Pro Weatherserver
WH 3000 Outdoor sensor array
8 DP50 / WH31 temp/humidity sensors
3 DP100 Soil wetness sensors
1 DP60 Lightning sensor

Offline caveman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 03:37:03 AM »
Thanks for that Glente45. I'm in SW England but not sure what the "frequency" has to do with it. Isn't this just how the outdoor unit communicates with the indoor console?
Also what are the "clones"? Part of the system or a copy system?

I will install it on the top cable of my house, about 30m at the most from the indoor unit.

Cheers

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2024, 04:33:08 AM »
Thanks for that Glente45. I'm in SW England but not sure what the "frequency" has to do with it. Isn't this just how the outdoor unit communicates with the indoor console?
Also what are the "clones"? Part of the system or a copy system?

I will install it on the top cable of my house, about 30m at the most from the indoor unit.

Cheers
the frequency referred to is the frequency with which the individual sensors communicate with a gateway unit or console that in turn communicates to the wider world via your internet connection (usually WiFi bit in some cases you can use an ethernet connection)

The radio spectrum allocation rules vary across the world, in Europe you generally use 868 MHz (elsewhere in the world can use 433 or 915 Mhz). Europe based retailers will normally only sell at this frequency but if you buy online, especially direct from a manufacturer or somewhere like AliExpress there is a chance you could get the wrong one. The ecowitt website automatically selects the correct frequency based on the delivery address. Just make sure everything you buy is at the same frequency, especially if it is from different suppliers. 'clones' re efers to resellers/rebadgers of fine offset products. Ecowitt is fine offset's retail arm but they also sell to companies like Froggit, Misol etc who rebadge them. You often see them on Amazon

Despite the badging they are all the same and can be mixed (as long as they are the same frequency!!)

Loads of detail here https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40730.0

Offline caveman

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 04:58:35 AM »
Many thanks Box, just the job, most helpful.

My intention is just to buy a complete set-up, not bits and pieces, probably from Amazon like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0991GVBYK?th=1. which hopefully will ensure that everything is right for where I am.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 05:03:55 AM by caveman »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 05:15:05 AM »

My intention is just to buy a complete set-up, not bits and pieces, probably from Amazon like this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0991GVBYK?th=1. which hopefully will ensure that everything is right for where I am.

You should be fine

When this hobby bites (and it will!!!) You can extend your station by adding additional sensors that will talk to the console

They are all pretty similar but if you check that link it will specify what each console can support

Just remember you may need to do some maintenance so don't mount it in a place too difficult to get to! Or have someone lined up to do it!!

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 05:17:41 AM »

You should be fine

When this hobby bites (and it will!!!) You can extend your station by adding additional sensors that will talk to the console

They are all pretty similar but if you check that link it will specify what each console can support

Just remember you may need to do some maintenance (batteries and clearing bird mess!) so don't mount it in a place too difficult to get to! Or have someone lined up to do it!!

Offline caveman

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 09:09:43 AM »
Ooo, maintenance?? What sort and how frequently?

As I said, I intend to mount it on the apex of my bungalow roof, accessible by ladder. It's the only place I'll get clear wind 360º

I was going to include the remote battery box in case they need changing, we don't get a lot of sun for it to survive I wouldn't think?

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 09:37:58 AM »
Ooo, maintenance?? What sort and how frequently?

As I said, I intend to mount it on the apex of my bungalow roof, accessible by ladder. It's the only place I'll get clear wind 360º

I was going to include the remote battery box in case they need changing, we don't get a lot of sun for it to survive I wouldn't think?
Well, if you have the remote battery box there won't be much. The sensor package is powered by a capacitor charged by a small solar panel.  The batteries are backup for when that is discharged which most people reckon is 2 or 3 days without any sun. Use lithium batteries - they last longest and don't mind cold weather either

I see you are in Devon, so it depends on where you are

If you are on the coast, especially if you are in a village or town you may have to deal with birds and their mess, nests etc

If you are in a damp valley you may have moss etc to deal with

We are about 2 miles inland on the north coast of Cornwall.  My system just has a wipe over every 6 months or so, its usually pretty clean and I change the batteries at the same time (I don't have the battery box). My anmeometer is on a 6 metre pole but I have it arranged so it swings down for maintenance.  I cycle the old expensive batteries through my other ground level sensors that are easier to reach (I have separate sensors rather than the all-in-one you are considering)

Edit:typos

Offline caveman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 02:16:58 PM »
Hi again Box and thanks so much for the input.

I'm in Culmstock, in the Culm valley between Wellington and Tiverton so don't get a lot of seagulls but plenty of small birds.

6mt pole! Is that attached to the house or free standing and guyed in the garden? What's it made of? I like that for ease of access to the anemometer.

Maybe go for separate items, that way most of the stuff can be at ground level, I must have a look how this works as never owned one before!

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2024, 02:35:35 PM »
Maybe go for separate items, that way most of the stuff can be at ground level, I must have a look how this works as never owned one before!

Have to agree that's the way to go. . . temp should be measured at 1.25 m above ground, rain gauge rim at 450 mm, and wind at 10 m (although few can aspire to that - you might not get planning permission!). See Observations - Met Office

Having said that, just do the best you can and ENJOY  :D

EDIT: I was about to buy an Ecowitt HP2552 station until I realised it wouldn't work with Weather Display software.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 03:09:22 PM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2024, 03:26:20 PM »
Hi again Box and thanks so much for the input.

I'm in Culmstock, in the Culm valley between Wellington and Tiverton so don't get a lot of seagulls but plenty of small birds.

6mt pole! Is that attached to the house or free standing and guyed in the garden? What's it made of? I like that for ease of access to the anemometer.

Its worth considering - Vasco has all the criteria there

Of course if you don't have the space then you may need to have an all-in-one and it depends what you are trying to measure/achieve with your station. But it is always going to be a compromise location. 

For me I wanted to be reasonably accurate and I had the space to place my sensors as follows:

Separate external temperature sensor on the north wall of our house (so its always in shade) in a radiation shiled (not a very expensive one but good enough as weather protection) at 5 feet in height with a mount that takes it off the wall about 6 inches

Rain sensor in our small field, attached to a handy bit of tubing (post off an old trampoline!) at 4 feet above grass (thats important as it stops rain bouncing off concrete or hard standing into the collector) and 30 odd feet clear of trees etc. The rain collector in an all-in-one can suffer from rain being blown into it, especially if its placed at height which is what you need for accurate wind measurement

Anemometer is on a 6 metre pole (2 x10ft aluminium poles that screw together) as far way from our trees as we can get it without going into the neighbour's garden. I tried it without guy ropes but planned for three guys (two by the boundary fence and one into our small field) just in case they were needed - and they were. Of course stiffer tubing may mean you wouldn't need it, but that's heavier. I mounted the pole onto a length of 3x3 salvaged from an old pergola, that in turn is mounted on another bit of 3x3 securely cemented into the ground. They are attached by two large bolts that go through both pieces of wood, and if I undo the upper one and take it out I can hinge on the bottom one and drop it down for maintenance

Things with separates is that they all have to communicate with your gateway unit or console, so check they can do so before you do anything permanent. I had to move the gateway unit to another room so that it could 'see' the anemometer pole (which was the farthest away) through a window

That was my basic set-up, since then I have added a temperature sensor for the pond (make sure I don't let it freeze!) and  air quality sensor which is in the garage right next to an open window

I discussed all this on these forums - lots of useful advice, especially about mountings - didn't think of it all by myself!!

I attach some photos, the anemometer in the photos is my original WS69 cup anemometer since replaced with a WS80

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 03:30:16 PM »
No guy ropes in the previous photo

Here is the rain sensor

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Of course this may be overkill for your purposes, but its one example

Offline caveman

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2024, 04:06:53 PM »
Amazing! I'm not sure about the 6m pole, might get someone complaining even though they built a hot tub up against my fence!!

Many thanks, certainly plenty of food for thought.

Cheers

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 06:26:26 PM »
Amazing! I'm not sure about the 6m pole, might get someone complaining even though they built a hot tub up against my fence!!

Many thanks, certainly plenty of food for thought.

Cheers
good point!  I checked with my neighbours so they weren't surprised by a pole mast appearing with an object on top....they may have thought I was filming them!

Offline caveman

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2024, 03:51:20 AM »
 :lol: :lol: What diameter is the pole please, might go that way, just attach it to the side of the house so that I can un attach it when needed without having to climb up ladder to roof!

I think the battery pack would be a good idea as you say the capacitor is only good for a few days. We saw the sun yesterday for the first time in two weeks!

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2024, 05:12:01 AM »
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233466155632?hash=item365baad270:g:nMoAAOSwuB9h8RBO

This is the one I used, sections are about 5 foot long, but any decent quality TV/Radio equipment supplier could be used, Moonraker have their own website as well

I think as long as there is some light it will charge, you don't need bright sunshine
We have had some dreary days down here for the past month too!

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 07:06:51 AM »
Ps if you use a sectioned pole make sure you tape the joints otherwise they can rotate relative to each other and whatever you put on top will turn into wind!!!

#lesson learned :lol:

Offline caveman

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 09:44:01 AM »
I'm looking at these two at the moment, both give about the same information. Like the idea of the "no moving parts" option but guess I'd also have to buy a display of some sort for it. On the 2910 I like having battery backup, we don't see a lot of sun these days!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecowitt-Wireless-Weather-Station-Built/dp/B0991GVBYK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECOWITT-Stations-Wireless-Upgraded-Accurate/dp/B09QKXMKS4?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 02:44:19 PM »
I'm looking at these two at the moment, both give about the same information. Like the idea of the "no moving parts" option but guess I'd also have to buy a display of some sort for it. On the 2910 I like having battery backup, we don't see a lot of sun these days!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ecowitt-Wireless-Weather-Station-Built/dp/B0991GVBYK?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECOWITT-Stations-Wireless-Upgraded-Accurate/dp/B09QKXMKS4?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

your first link is the 'old style' console to which you can not add all the new range of sensors.

second one seems to be one of the most moaned about arrays from ecowitt....

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2024, 02:50:01 PM »
this is a good starter to which you can add sensors

https://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/product/watson-w-8686/

It would be better to have a separate rain bucket but the one on offer has a too shallow cone to which you may need to add an extension - its about time ecowitt sorted it out and admit that it was a bad design.

see what they have on offer here.

https://www.ecowitt.com/shop/homePage
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 02:58:08 PM by G.Brown »

Offline Vasco

• Forecaster
    • PWS
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2024, 03:08:26 PM »
Agree with @G.Brown re your choices - but not his Watson suggestion  ;)  I'm totally into separates  :)

Have you read @Gyvate MUST READ?

As I already said I was going to buy the Ecowitt HP2552 until I was told it wouldn't work with Weather Display, so I bought a GW1102. Both good entry level stations.

See weatherspares.co.uk for a selection.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 03:12:41 PM by Vasco »
Ecowitt GW1102 (with GW2000) + Weather Display in Windows 10

Offline caveman

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2024, 05:05:41 PM »
Thanks guys for all the input.

Just found this one which will do everything I need, and a bit more I think -https://weatherspares.co.uk/products/garni-wifi-weather-station-940

Should connect OK from my roof or maybe attach a pole so that I can lower it for periodic cleaning. Well within my budget as well.

Good choice??? On a par with the Ecowitts?

« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 05:12:59 PM by caveman »

Offline box

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2024, 06:14:46 PM »
I believe Garni  stations are FineOffset clones but am not familiar with them, they are mentioned in that mut read link I gave you earlier

Hopefully someone more familiar can give you advice

Offline caveman

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2024, 03:18:45 AM »
Thanks again Box, it's certainly all I need. I don't intend to add anything to it. Just a case of where to mount whatever I buy to give it clear 360º for the wind. The apex of the roof at the back is favourite but then access is not that easy if it requires regular maintenance as it's a ladder job and at 85 my wife isn't too keen on me scrambling up and down one🥴

I think that says I need one with an external battery which I can bring down into the conservatory for ease of access. How often does one have to change batteries, especially in this cold, cloudy weather?

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 03:30:28 AM by caveman »