Author Topic: Need some advice on finding better weather software for my Weather Monitor II.  (Read 513 times)

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Hello all!! Its been a while since I was here last. Anyways for the past 6 years I have been running my WM II station with minimal problems, and I have been using the VWS software to upload to Wunderground and CWOP for just as long.  Now it seems that VWS has turned to crap since many features no longer work anymore. I also use Weather link with a serial adaptor on my 1.5 yr old Hp desktop with Windows 10 and it works, but with Wunderground continuing to get worse and pushing for only newer stations with a direct feed from a modem or router, it has me very concerned due to the fact that I may no longer be able to upload my data anymore. I considered biting the bullet and subscribing to WL Live but they only seem to support the VP 2 and Vue stations. I  recently upgraded my anemometer with the newer style with the brass tip and my rain collector tipping bucket assembly/ base with the Areo Cone, I also have the temp/hum sensor.  I understand that my station is fairly old, but I love it simply because its easy to use and very reliable. I really don't want to replace my entire station because I have heard about all the problems people have had with the new ones. If it does come down to it, I would like to get a wired version of the VP 2, but my question is this: Can I use the new anemometer and new rain collector I installed last summer with the Vp 2? I understand that the VP 2 uses an ISS which I am assuming is a glorified junction box? Or can I simply upgrade my data logger to a more current model?  I would appreciate any advice you folks have, Thanks!!!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
I considered biting the bullet and subscribing to WL Live but they only seem to support the VP 2 and Vue stations.

Do you mean Weatherlink Live or weatherlink.com? WLL is only for wireless stations and so is not compatible with either WMII or cabled VP2. If you link a WMII to Weatherlink for Windows then I think that should upload to weatherlink.com OK even for WMII stations.

If it does come down to it, I would like to get a wired version of the VP 2, but my question is this: Can I use the new anemometer and new rain collector I installed last summer with the Vp 2? I understand that the VP 2 uses an ISS which I am assuming is a glorified junction box?

The anemometer and rain gauge are fully compatible with a VP2, but buying a new VP2 you'd get both of those items anyway. The VP2 works differently to a WMII and the ISS circuit board is a lot more than just a junction box - it does all the preprocessing of the raw sensor data.

Or can I simply upgrade my data logger to a more current model?

No. Recent loggers are typically not WMII-compatible - you still need a 7862 logger.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Oh ok, that makes more sense in regards to the sensors and the VP 2.   I am signed up on weatherlink.com and [tup] they don't have the WM II listed, but they have Rain Collector as a choice.  These stations are a whole new animal I guess!

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
I am signed up on weatherlink.com and [tup] they don't have the WM II listed, but they have Rain Collector as a choice.

I've never had reason to link a WMII to wl.com so can't be 100% sure. But I suspect that if you were to Add Device as a standard Data Logger and get your virtual DID and keycode, calling it a Vue if necessary, to get the credentials to enter into the local WL program then it might well work OK for all of the WMII parameters. Doesn't cost anything to find out, unless you want to upgrade to Pro, but that's not essential.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Update!  I just tried your suggestion, and it worked!!!! That may just be all I really need for now, or at least it bought me some more time.  Thank You!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Another example of some good backwards compatibility of Davis.  Glad that you have it working =D>

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline superdudegta

• MT WX Watcher
Indeed, Thanks again!