Author Topic: Realtime Data from VantageVue and WeatherlinkIP for IOS  (Read 859 times)

Offline WestTx

Realtime Data from VantageVue and WeatherlinkIP for IOS
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:55:21 PM »
After days of scouring the forum I still can't find the answer...

Is there a way to see realtime data from my VantageVue on an Apple device?

I know it's available with the new Weatherlink Live product.  And with the wifilogger via browser.  But is there any easy solution the WeatherlinkIP I already have?

Thanks,
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: Realtime Data from VantageVue and WeatherlinkIP for IOS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:02:55 PM »
Maybe there is a way to run MAC version of WeatherLink on iPad?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »
I think the answer is no easy solution. It would require someone having written an iOS app to poll the IP logger for real-time data and AFAIK no-one has ever done that.

You could imagine more complicated solutions using an intermediate computer that does the real-time polling and that generates a data feed for eg a browser-based dashboard that Safari on an iPhone or iPad could display. Maybe Cumulus(MX) on the intermediate computer driving a Steelseries display or Weather Display driving eg FreshWDL could work. But quite a lot of work to move from the per-minute updates that the Weatherlink iOS app already delivers to something that's more real-time.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 01:46:05 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
It appears there are ways to kinda mirror the display of apps running on either a Mac or a PC to the iPad but that's as close as I've found.  And since that would not be feasible for my purpose, not an option for me.

As much as I would love to monitor realtime data during storms, I may have to settle for 1-per-minute updates on the ios WL app.  I'm not sure how much longer I can resist the urge to buy the Wifilogger - if for no other reason than the incredible support and innovation of Wojtek.

Thanks for the prompt answers guys.

Les
Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
In fact WL IP is very good product.
What is good in it?
- working perfectly
- no need to setup

1 min interval is second best options. If there won't be WU RapidFire, then WL.COM with 1 min intercal is the best.
Other services have latency. Like PWS where you have to wait for data 3-4 minutes. Plenty of services don't want your data more frequently than 5 min, or even 10.

So WL.COM with 1 min has second place, only because of RapidFire.

Offline WestTx

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 09:56:53 PM »
In my experience, the iOS apps don’t reliably update every minute. Sometimes I have to reload the page (the WeatherLink.com page) or tap the Back button (I the WL app).

I’m a little surprised no one has done more iOS development to support WLIP (and now WFL) - assuming it’s possible.

Thanks again for your input.

Vantage Vue
WiFiLogger