Author Topic: unable to get new WS-2000 console to connect to WiFi  (Read 2364 times)

Offline LrngToFly

unable to get new WS-2000 console to connect to WiFi
« on: February 12, 2019, 05:49:14 PM »
Hello-

I'm unable to get my new WS-2000 console to connect to WiFi.  Does anyone know if there's an issue connecting this to a 802.11ac wifi network with WPA Personal type security?

It doesn't find it searching (nor does it find my phone when I enable the hotspot), nor does it connect if I do the hidden network, type in the SSID and password (respecting case sensitivity) although my SSID is not hidden...

Thanks for any help!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: unable to get new WS-2000 console to connect to WiFi
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
Yes the WS-2000 was designed to connect to 2.4 GHz and supports 802.11ac routers and WPA2 ....not sure about WPA you listed as they are different.

Did you update the firmware via SD card? Latest version is 1.3.8. Check your display console in the About section to see what version you are running. It might make a difference.
https://www.ambientweather.com/amwewsfidoce.html

If it still doesn't work try going though the display console menu and select to do a Factory Reset.

What wireless router are you using?

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:57:05 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline LrngToFly

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:52 AM »
I have a Ubiquiti WAP-AC-AP-Pro, kind of a "prosumer" WAP.  I've not had any issues with any other devices connecting.

I was able to add another "network" to my WAP with WEP security and the station was able to see and connect to that.  I did update both the unit firmware and the wifi firmware once I created the 2nd network.  Hate to have a lousy security WEP network running, but it's segmented from everything else, and I suppose if I learn how, I can make it so that only communication can occur between my device and wunderground and ambientweather.

So on my normal wireless network, I have WPA Personal, and I had "WPA2 Only", but I tried the setting for "Both WPA1 and WPA2" but that was no help.  I fiddled with several other settings as well, it won't show...

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
That second wireless network you created with WEP encryption is not a good idea. That traffic is not separated from the rest of your network beyond the access point unless you create a VLAN for it. Even still then someone can still mess with your network and router even after setting up a VLAN because they can get into that VLAN and talk to the router's unprotected inside firewall side.

If you got the WS-2000 to work with WEP encryption that that is a good sign that the device isn't broken. So it seems to be some kind of incompatibility with the WS-2000 and the access point or some setting within it. There could be things like maybe it is in wireless AC only mode [not supporting wireless G or N], or maybe it is enforcing wide channels, or maybe there is MAC address white listing access control. Or maybe your SSID has some funky character (or it is too long of a name) that conflicts with some limitation in the WS-2000 and then causes it to not show.
Tele-Pole

Offline LrngToFly

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
Yeah, the "radio" on my WAP has options for Channel Width of HT40 and HT20 for the 2G side and for 5G, VHT20, VHT40 and VHT80.  It's set at the default of HT40 and VHT40.  But that setting is listed in such a way that it seems to be applicable to both of the networks, so I didn't try switching it.  I can try that tonight.

I assume the weather station does 802.11g or n and uses the 2G radio?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:37:46 AM by LrngToFly »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
It might be that the WEP encrypted SSID uses HT20 even though you've got the radio set to HT40. It may do so because most WEP devices would be legacy type devices that would only use 20 MHz channel width. So forcing HT40 may be the problem with WPA2 encyrption as that then allows HT40 channel width. Is there not a setting to allow for auto switching between 20 and 40 MHz channel width?  That is the setting I have on my Asus WiFi router as it is set for 20/40. But I have options to force 40 or 20 MHz.

The station display tablet console uses 2.4 GHz WiFi only. But I'm not sure if it is 802.11g or 802.11n or 802.11ac. Most likely not wireless ac so my bet is on g or n. This could be another setting that may be overridden by selecting WEP encryption for legacy compatibility.
Tele-Pole

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Hello-

nor does it connect if I do the hidden network, type in the SSID and password (respecting case sensitivity) although my SSID is not hidden...

Thanks for any help!

When you manually type in the SSID and PWD did you reboot the console by unplugging power for a few seconds.

(Mine did not find WiFi using scan but when I did manual entry followed by a reboot it came up just fine. However it did not connect without the reboot.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:51:57 AM by davefr »