Author Topic: Ambientweather.net uploads  (Read 661 times)

Offline madkiwi

Ambientweather.net uploads
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
So I set up my WS-2902a to do 1 minute upload intervals. I notice the info displayed on my dashboard is 5 minute intervals. OK, makes sense, displaying all that data gets complicated. So I click on the database download option, thinking it would contain all the uploaded data... nope. The CSV file is 5 minute intervals.

So where is all that raw data? Should I maybe just adjust the upload interval to 5 minutes? No point in using the bandwidth if it isn't being stored for me.

Thanks...
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Ambientweather.net uploads
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:00:49 PM »
It works pretty much like Weather Underground. With WU you can upload every couple seconds. It is not uncommon to upload every 5 to 15 seconds in what WU calls Rapid Fire uploading. But the data kept is likewise only every 5 minutes.

With ambientweather.net the purpose of uploading every 1 minute (or seconds in the case of WU), is to have an online dashboard that is live almost like your display console. In both cases the online services only keep the average or peak or 5 minute mark of that 5 minute span for historical data. I don't know exactly what gets committed.

If you change it to only upload every 5 minutes then you are loosing resolution for data averaging or peak capture. But predominantly you lose the "Live" instant view of the data.

As for added bandwidth usage, I would say unless you are on a metered connection you probably don't need to worry. It isn't going to affect other Internet activity like browsing or video streaming.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:35:35 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: Ambientweather.net uploads
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »
Thanks Glen, oops, sorry about that, I mean George - good to know.  :oops: