Author Topic: Ambient Weather site not updating  (Read 4194 times)

Offline williambs55

• Living in the greatest town in Missouri!
    • Clinton Northside Station
Ambient Weather site not updating
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:50:54 PM »
Not sure if this is the place to post this question, please move as necessary.
About a week ago my Ambient Weather webpage stopped refreshing and when I select refresh nothing happens.
My Weather Underground site is picking up the updated information as expected.
As well, my Ambient Weather unit is picking up the latest data from the Weather Station without fail.
Any ideas of what is going on with my Ambient Weather websit not updating?
A follower of the weather and our creator, Jesus Christ.
<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMOCLINT10

Offline superduty

Re: Ambient Weather site not updating
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:37:15 PM »

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »
If you were using Meteobridge to do the uploads to Ambientweather.net, then that access has been shut down.  Only devices purchased from Ambient Weather (including their Weatherbridge) are free to use ambientweather.net.  Other devices will have to pay a (steep) fee of $150 to re-enable their macAddress to submit to AmbientWeather.net.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline superduty

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 01:09:23 AM »
If you were using Meteobridge to do the uploads to Ambientweather.net, then that access has been shut down.  Only devices purchased from Ambient Weather (including their Weatherbridge) are free to use ambientweather.net.  Other devices will have to pay a (steep) fee of $150 to re-enable their macAddress to submit to AmbientWeather.net.
Kind of a bummer for those that bought meteobridge elsewhere.

As I said in the other post, I don't think it's worth $150.

I did like the interface on my android phone.  It displayed useful and easy to read data.

Any suggestions for a good android app to view data from a personal WX station?

I think an app called weather station is the best out there and that app leaves some to be desired. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2018, 03:47:15 AM »
Has anyone tried spoofing their MAC address to be a MAC address from a compatible device?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 10:11:35 AM »
Has anyone tried spoofing their MAC address to be a MAC address from a compatible device?

I don't think spoofing will work. When you spoof a MAC address of a local network device you are changing the MAC address only at the local network (level 2.) Because then the packet passes through your router and the MAC address of the local device gets stripped out and the network packet has its MAC address replaced with that of your router. So ambientweather.net is checking the MAC address at the local device as part of the data that gets sent in the packet data section, basically the MAC is being placed as data among the sensor data. When you change the MAC address at the local device for spoofing, the device still retains its original MAC address and this is the number that the Meteobridge software is probably grabbing to send with the sensor data. So changing the MAC address at the device for spoofing purposes won't solve anything.

You would have to hack OpenWRT running in the Meteobridge in such a way that you actually changed the real MAC address. This would not be the same method as what is done when setting up MAC address spoofing. But maybe the Meteobridge software overlay* that gets downloaded and runs on top of OpenWRT is checking for OpenWRT tampering...just maybe. I don't think this thought process is worth perusing unless you really are into firmware hacking.

* The Meteobridge software is actually an overlay that runs from the Internet every time you boot up. The device is actually running a modified OpenWRT. If you boot up without Internet service you only see the Meteobridge loader black screen, as there is no Meteobridge software in the device yet at that point. So you can't see or modify the Meteobridge software. The only thing you can touch or maybe change is OpenWRT.

Besides if you have valid MAC address to spoof with, it is probably off an Ambient console...so why not just use that console anyway to send to ambientweather.net?

Actually I do have real WeatherBridge. I was going to make my own Meteobridge at one point but I stumbled on a used WeatherBridge cheap on eBay. So I lucked out with a cheap ambientweather.net licensed Meteobridge. I'm uploading to ambientweather.net from both devices (console and Meteobridge.) I'm doing it to compare data averaging that I noticed comes from the ObserverIP when connecting a Meteobridge versus uploading through the Ambient console. With WU the difference was huge in level of detail with the console versus data averaging through ObserverIP and Meteobridge combo. I haven't gotten around yet to finalizing my analysis of Meteobridge vs Ambient console with ambientweather.net. But I can tell you that I'm definitely seeing some differences and I'm not sure yet which is better as there seems to be pros and cons on both sides unlike with WU where I saw a clear winner in the Ambient console. Look for my analysis soon in the Ambient section of this forum.

One thing I find interesting in my WeatherBridge is that in the Weather Network tab ambientweather.net is always listed at the top of the page of configured services even if I have it disabled. It's like the Meteobridge software somehow knows this is a real WeatherBridge. Normally in the Meteobridge if you disable a Weather Network service it disappears from the list of configured services. I'm not saying it continues to send to ambientweather.net when disabled. I'm saying it just doesn't disappear from the list as other disabled services do disappear.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 11:12:25 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »
After trying to enable Ambient Weather on mine, it always says Ambient Weather on the Live page, even when it's set to no upload. I think I'll try changing the MAC via ifconfig, just to see if the MAC changes on the Services page .

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 04:34:10 PM »
One thing I find interesting in my WeatherBridge is that in the Weather Network tab ambientweather.net is always listed at the top of the page of configured services even if I have it disabled. It's like the Meteobridge software somehow knows this is a real WeatherBridge. Normally in the Meteobridge if you disable a Weather Network service it disappears from the list of configured services. I'm not saying it continues to send to ambientweather.net when disabled. I'm saying it just doesn't disappear from the list as other disabled services do disappear.
Weatherbridges have the ambientweather network instead of WU as the first recommendation. But when you don't select an update interval for it, no data will be uploaded. The user fully controls where data goes to.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick