Author Topic: Need help setting up Virtual VP coms  (Read 18257 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
Need help setting up Virtual VP coms
« on: January 01, 2018, 08:20:00 AM »
I have virtual IP installed and it is downloading data from my VP2 using 3.15 firmware.

I only want to use WD and cumulus. Everyone says to use TCP/IP i'm guessing that i just enter the same info that is in Virtual VP tcp/ip settings into WD, i try that and it does not work.

I don't understand what the number after the address 127.0.0.1 is.....is it like a port number? Or do i need to use IP address....I have my win 10 PC set to a static address.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:23:30 AM by Tazz 316 »

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: Need help setting up Virtual VP coms
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:36:38 AM »
The IP address 127.0.0.1 is a special-purpose IPv4 address called localhost or loopback address. All computers use this address as their own but it doesn't let them communicate with other devices like a real IP address does.
I don't understand what the number after the address 127.0.0.1 is.....is it like a port number?
That number is the netmask and it determines subnet range. eg if you have an ip address of 192.168.1.x and a mask of 255.255.255.0, your ip range will be 192.168.1.1 to 254.

Happy New Year
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:55:11 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:13:59 AM »
Are you speaking about this screen ?   Yes the numbers are port numbers.    Your other applications must listen to these address and ports.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 09:16:18 AM by Joel »

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »
Are you speaking about this screen ?   Yes the numbers are port numbers.    Your other applications must listen to these address and ports.

Yes that is the screen. So do i need to change 127.0.0.1 to an IP on my network in order for it to work? Also on cumulus does port number go in discon period?

Do you still need drivers if using TCP/ip?

Thanks for your time. :)

Offline Joel

• PWS Lobbes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:53:08 AM »
No, IP address 127.0.0.1 represents the PC on which VVP is installed and should not be changed.

Because other apps are installed on the same PC, they must listen to VVP using TCP/IP protocol on the IP address 127.0.0.1 and one of the specified TCP ports.
For instance WD listen to 127.0.0.1:5511 and Cumulus listen to 127.0.0.1:5512

I personally use COM instead of TCP/IP, so I cannot help too much, but you shouldn't need any drivers, as stated in the manual
"VirtualVP supports TCP/IP connections without the need for any special drivers"

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:22:18 AM »
I have been using TCP/IP for a while because on one computer the coms would not work.
It really does not matter which you use as long as the data gets into your software-right?
After you assign the ports on VVP and the software-shut down vvp and restart it. The software should start to collect data. 

The issue you may have is that VVP works great with data logger firmware 1.9, I am not sure that it works with 3.0. Someone will have to chime in on that issue.

Hope you get it working.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 12:06:11 PM »
I have been using TCP/IP for a while because on one computer the coms would not work.
It really does not matter which you use as long as the data gets into your software-right?
After you assign the ports on VVP and the software-shut down vvp and restart it. The software should start to collect data. 

The issue you may have is that VVP works great with data logger firmware 1.9, I am not sure that it works with 3.0. Someone will have to chime in on that issue.

Hope you get it working.

Still no luck maybe it is because i'm using 3.15 firmware.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »
you need to set the same port number in the software that vvp is set to (i.e 80 in your screen shots)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:09:23 PM »
you need to set the same port number in the software that vvp is set to (i.e 80 in your screen shots)

Your right, i changed it and it now works. I didn't see it up on the top lol

Now my next question is in  virtual VP  under activity it's flashing between "sent response for wake up console" and sending loop 1 of 1 that is what cumulus is using.

And weather link says "sending loop 3 0f 24"

I'm not sure what that means but things seem to be working so far.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 02:18:32 PM »
that is all normal

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 02:26:14 PM »
that is all normal

ok was just making sure. We will see how long this works! I have weather display, weather link, Cumulus going. Thanks for your help.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 02:54:54 PM »
 =D>

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 06:35:30 AM »
Well it worked for a while like it should but stopped last night. Re-starting Virtual VP and WD, Weather link and cumulus and it's working again. They all had to be re-started before it would work again. The only error i see is something about a output buffer to small for block.

Also in activity log i get a warring "weather display socket error Socket descriptor is (1) not a socket, or (2) is of wrong type (10038)"

« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:09:21 AM by Tazz 316 »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 12:49:51 PM »
IIRC there are new "LOOP commands" with the firmware 3.0 and above that VVP doesn't understand.  So what will happen is a new command is sent out from the software, but VVP doesn't relay them to the hardware.  Things will eventually just lock up.  Restarting is just a short term fix.  VVP won't work on the newer firmware.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:57:07 PM »
only certain software sends that new LOOP2 command though

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 06:58:38 PM »
Why will it work fine for hours then stop?

18:51:43:798 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data
18:51:45:002 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
18:51:47:061 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Get Live Sensor Data
18:51:48:269 Warning      - VpConsole: No response after several retries for Wake Up Console
18:51:49:689 Warning      - VpConsole: Far too long since last loop = 9.890, last command= Initiate Barometer Refresh

How hard is it to find a new console with below 3.0 firmware? What year would it be? Maybe i should just make a macro to open and close Virtual VP every 10 hours lol
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 07:07:07 PM by Tazz 316 »

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 07:32:26 PM »
If I'm not mistaken you can load older firmware but if your console is that new I can only hazard a guess.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 12:00:39 PM »
5 days now

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 05:17:42 PM »
If you haven't gotten the message yet regarding Virtual VP "not being compatible" with any of the newer Davis consoles and data loggers then, you are simply wasting your time. As has been stated numerous times, the newer versions of the data logger uses a Loop 2 command. VVP was never designed to look for that sequence of events and thus, simply can't interpret correctly the current version of the firmware being used. The entire set of software written many years ago by SoftWx included StartWatch, Virtual VP, VP Live and several other useful tools (at the time they were developed). None of those tools have been updated or maintained for many years now and thus, a waste of your time and those who have been attempting to help you to get them to run. Simply put, it "ain't gonna happen" unless somehow miraculously the original developer picks-up where he left off and updates his routines.

Now, I will say this though. I have used all of the SoftWx software and it was (is) great. We all certainly miss the ability to run multiple weather software packages via the VVP product. The StartWatch product is still a viable piece of software and I use it myself to keep everything humming along. I also use VVP but I have an old version data logger that still runs VVP just fine and I have no plans to ever upgrade the firmware to V3 or any later versions.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 06:05:44 PM »
If you haven't gotten the message yet regarding Virtual VP "not being compatible" with any of the newer Davis consoles and data loggers then, you are simply wasting your time. As has been stated numerous times, the newer versions of the data logger uses a Loop 2 command. VVP was never designed to look for that sequence of events and thus, simply can't interpret correctly the current version of the firmware being used. The entire set of software written many years ago by SoftWx included StartWatch, Virtual VP, VP Live and several other useful tools (at the time they were developed). None of those tools have been updated or maintained for many years now and thus, a waste of your time and those who have been attempting to help you to get them to run. Simply put, it "ain't gonna happen" unless somehow miraculously the original developer picks-up where he left off and updates his routines.

Now, I will say this though. I have used all of the SoftWx software and it was (is) great. We all certainly miss the ability to run multiple weather software packages via the VVP product. The StartWatch product is still a viable piece of software and I use it myself to keep everything humming along. I also use VVP but I have an old version data logger that still runs VVP just fine and I have no plans to ever upgrade the firmware to V3 or any later versions.

It's been working for me for 5 days straight now so it's not a waste of time and if it's "not compatible" how do you explain all the data i have from WD, Weather link and cumulus for last 5 days.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 06:19:45 PM by Tazz 316 »

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 03:36:24 AM »
I think its working OK because you are using the TCP/IP option, and I think weatherlink might not be using the LOOP2 data when using IP data logger mode
but I could be wrong

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 06:33:15 AM »
I think its working OK because you are using the TCP/IP option, and I think weatherlink might not be using the LOOP2 data when using IP data logger mode
but I could be wrong

Maybe so the only thing i changed was a setting in WD and the errors i was getting are gone. I had to reboot my PC (software updates) so it will be awhile before i know how long it can go. I use my PC for weather software, IP camera software and general use all while only using 35 watts of power.

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 12:22:10 PM »
7 days straight now and still going + the 5 days before a reboot. Simply put the data is there for WD, Weather-Link and Cumulus.

W3DRM is just jealous.

Thanks to all that helped! :)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 03:49:05 PM »
7 days straight now and still going + the 5 days before a reboot. Simply put the data is there for WD, Weather-Link and Cumulus.

W3DRM is just jealous.

Thanks to all that helped! :)

No, actually I am glad it seems to be working for you on firmware v3.x. I'm really just curious as to why since many of us, myself included, were unable to get VVP to run on v3.0 firmware when it first came out. Am wondering if Davis made some kind of change to later versions of the firmware that made it compatible but never told anyone. I may just have to try it someday when I get some free time to play with it. At least I can always go backwards to the older firmware, if necessary.

Please keep us informed if anything changes.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2018, 10:11:39 PM »
So I am trying the same thing, Virtual VP 1.25 is setup and Cumulus is talking to it fine. I have Weather Display installed and it works if connected to the Vue console on com 5. When I configure it to use the TCP/IP that matches what Virtual VP says, it never connects, just sits there dark green. The settings in WD are pointed to the 127.0.0.1 port 5511, but it never connects. Not sure what I am missing here, Virtual VP is connected to my console and feeding Cumulus. Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

anything