Author Topic: Using VVP  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
Using VVP
« on: May 14, 2017, 05:22:02 AM »
Hi folks, 1st time using vvp, am i right in thinking that this program will enable me to be able
to have say 3 programs using the same com port, i.e., have WD, WL and VPLive all running at the same time?
Kind regards
Bashy

Online broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Using VVP
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 05:25:06 AM »
Yes however this program is getting old now and there is no support as the developer had personal problems and went away some years ago now. So use with care. I used it for some time with no problems but that was on XP and I kow on the latest Windows some folks have had issues with getting it going. I no longer use it purely as I have no need now.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 05:31:32 AM »
Hi Stuart, thanks for the reply, I have it working and set up 3 comports but I could only get wd to find the new virtual port, WL couldn't find a new one, gonna try it in compatability mode and running as  admin and will report back..
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 05:57:14 AM »
OK, that failed, I give up, I will lose my gold star at this rate. 😁
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »
I have another program called virtual serial port driver but I am not so sure that does the same thing, it's on about pairing ports :/
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »
Virtual serial port driver?  do you mean virtual serial port emulator?  If so that works too, imho it isn't as easy to set up however but does work on 64-bit Windows.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 06:05:05 AM »
No, this one..

https://www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/

oh wait, could be the same one.... if so, i cannot get it to work :(
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 06:10:49 AM by Bashy »
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 07:12:00 AM »
I have it running on a win 9 machine. Works fine.
But it is all through tcp/ip. The virtual com port way did not work even with  N8VBvCO.
Try tcp/ip first and run as administrator.

The sad part is that VVP is a great program used by many people. But the owners status has been AWOL for many years. He was very sick. Unfortunately, hate to say it, may not be alive AFAIK. There are others like the owner of Weather Display that could update the code if he had access to it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:16:06 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 07:55:24 AM »
The sad part is that VVP is a great program used by many people. But the owners status has been AWOL for many years. He was very sick. Unfortunately, hate to say it, may not be alive AFAIK.

Just in the interests of accuracy, it wasn't Steve that was ill, but someone else in his family. I haven't heard directly from Steve for a couple of years now, but suspect that whatever else was happening in his life (and I know he was very busy professionally in addition to the family illness) VVP is effectively a closed chapter. Maybe if he gets another break between contracts then he may have time to look back at it, but that's looking increasingly unlikely as time passes.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
With the popularity of VVP I'm surprised no one else has stepped forward with a version of their own. I have absolutely no understanding of what it would take to develop a program like this but there are a lot of bright minds out there in the weather community. Hopefully one day someone will develop their own software. [-o< 
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
The sad part is that VVP is a great program used by many people. But the owners status has been AWOL for many years. He was very sick. Unfortunately, hate to say it, may not be alive AFAIK.

Just in the interests of accuracy, it wasn't Steve that was ill, but someone else in his family. I haven't heard directly from Steve for a couple of years now, but suspect that whatever else was happening in his life (and I know he was very busy professionally in addition to the family illness) VVP is effectively a closed chapter. Maybe if he gets another break between contracts then he may have time to look back at it, but that's looking increasingly unlikely as time passes.

ok. I guess I read/understood it a different way. that was a long time ago too.  I remember thinking "ugh" But either way, sad for him. and the software.

I have a relative that teaches college students to code, but cannot get him interested in a new version of VVP.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 08:45:15 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.