Author Topic: VVP or VP Live - do they store data logger data?  (Read 3937 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
VVP or VP Live - do they store data logger data?
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »
My hard drive died on my weather computer (an HP laptop). The laptop is being repaired by COSTCO under warranty. In the meantime is there any way I can still collect the data from the data logger and then, once the laptop is ready to run again, using VVP VP Live, VWS & WD with the saved data that was captured while the laptop was out for repair?

The reason for wanting to do this is to keep collecting the weather data from the data logger while the main wx computer is out for repair. I don't want to install all of the wx software on my desktop permanently, just the minimum installation until I'm ready to resume on the laptop. The data logger is going to overflow shortly, if it hasn't already, and that captured data will be lost.

Hope this makes sense.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: VVP or VP Live - do they store data logger data?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
if you had set a longer data logging interval as soon as this happened that would have been a solution
changing that now I think wipes the logged data

other solution is, anyone nearish to you , you can get the data from?

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
if you had set a longer data logging interval as soon as this happened that would have been a solution
changing that now I think wipes the logged data

other solution is, anyone nearish to you , you can get the data from?

Well yes, changing the data logging interval would have reduced the number of records written to the logger; however, doing that results in less granularity of data. So, guess I'll just live with the missing data. The repair shop is estimating two to three weeks before I get it back. Not what I wanted to hear but that's the way it goes.

No, there are no other comparable data sources nearby.

I am currently going to attempt to install all of my weather software on my desktop in the next couple of days. That will give me live data for the duration and then move that data back to my repaired laptop when I get it back. Hindsight is always 20x20 and I wish now that I had had the foresight to put together a full-blown package on a thumb-drive that I could use in an emergency such as this.

Thanks for the suggestions
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:05:19 PM »
2 to 3 weeks ????? WTF ? That is why I have 2 identical Dell 960's. One for the weather and one for backup or parts. You can get a Dell 1545 or 15R laptop for around $130-150 or get a Dell 990 desktop for about $125 on eBay. You will probably get it way before Costco gets your laptop fixed. It is always good to have backup hardware and a plan incase your primary fails. My DJ laptops are both under Dell warrant with onsite repair.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
Don,
Not sure what and why you're asking, but I THINK VPLive will coordinate with WeatherLink so that VPLive will run all the time but allow WL to be activated periodically to keep your data recorded (smaller footprint).
FWIW
George

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:28:09 PM »
What was your interval?
Here's the storage capacity.
1 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 213 days
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. Here is what my situation evolved into over the past couple of weeks. I think Murphy was at work here or even O'Shea who thought Murphy was an optimist...  8)

My backup laptop which was an old HP Pavilion with a Celeron CPU (and very slow...) died. Shortly after that failure I ordered a new HP laptop to replace it. A day or two later, my weather computer hard-drive bit the dust. Attempts to restore either one of them failed completely. So, I wound up with two dead computers with one on order and the other heading back to COSTCO under warranty repair.

The current situation is that my new replacement HP laptop, also from COSTCO, is coming China and due in sometime next week. The laptop with the crashed hard-drive was received at the COSTCO repair center in Georgia yesterday at 4pm EST. The estimated turn-around time for the disk-repair, as quoted by COSTCO, is 2 to 3 weeks.

So, I am simply biding my time until these laptops arrive on my doorstep. I've given up trying to capture any of the data I'm missing during this outage and will just try to get back on the air as soon as possible. I'm hoping I can get everything going again by Christmas (of this year)  :)

When I do come back on-line, I will probably dump VWS and WL completely and only run Weather Display. I'll also have to switch over my webcam software to something else but haven't decided yet what that will be.