Author Topic: Windows 10 and VVP  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
Windows 10 and VVP
« on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:22 AM »
Hi,
I've been using VVP on Vista to run simultaneously VWS and WL 5.9. Everything is working fine. Just got a brand new more powerful  computer equipped with windows 10. Will it work if I use the latest versions of these suftwares? I'm keeping my old PC as a backup while I work on the new one. Other tools than VVP would work better considering it is old. Thanks for your help.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Windows 10 and VVP
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
I would recommend switching to all IP communications between VVP and the other software.  As long as you leave your console firmware on the older non V3, it should continue to work.

The biggest issue you would run into is the virtual COM port function no longer works unless you buy some new ones that are compatible with Windows 10.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
If I understand well, the way I'm set up under Vista would work Windows 10 ? See screen shot [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:55:26 AM »
It looks like you are only using IP coms, so you should be able to replicate it on the new PC.  The only thing you might need to do is turn your UAC off, and setup VVP to run as administrator all the time.

I think that should be it.  Mind you, I'm still running Windows 8.1, so I haven't personally tested it on Win10.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Blizzard

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 01:45:46 PM »
Super! What's UAC ? As for running VVP as administrator, I should figure it out...

Tx

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 11:14:32 PM »
What software is better to use than VVP these days?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »
We installed Win10 here. VVP works great as long as I started with Run as administrator.

I have it on TCP/IP and have had no issues.

My computer is imaged with school software and school permissions.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 04:43:19 PM »
Bunty, if you're referring to software to "split" the Davis signal out so that other software can simultaneously access it, there isn't anything.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 08:39:48 PM »
Kind of surprising that no one has jumped in where Steve left off with their own software fully compatible with the newer equipment.  By that I figure it must be pretty complicated and time consuming to code and get it to work and work reliably running 24/7.   :-(

I have to wonder if maybe out of all the Davis users if there are at least a handful of people out there running their own home brew program that just don't want the headache of supporting users if they were to make their software available to the public.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 08:53:04 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 09:54:19 AM »
Kind of surprising that no one has jumped in where Steve left off with their own software fully compatible with the newer equipment.  By that I figure it must be pretty complicated and time consuming to code and get it to work and work reliably running 24/7.   :-(

I have to wonder if maybe out of all the Davis users if there are at least a handful of people out there running their own home brew program that just don't want the headache of supporting users if they were to make their software available to the public.

Would you blame them?  Especially if they provided it for free.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Ideally, it would be nice if Davis just made the IP logger such that it would accept multiple connections.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
Ideally, it would be nice if Davis just made the IP logger such that it would accept multiple connections.

Is that even notionally possible? AFAIK Davis have never disclosed what's inside an IP logger but I'm not sure that it's even got its own microcontroller, let alone the microprocessor and operating system that it would presumably need to function effectively as a multi-client data server, ie to have the intelligence to buffer and update the weather data and then to service multiple 'simultaneous' incoming requests for that data.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 12:49:27 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 12:25:46 AM »
I would guess they'd more likely have to do it internal to the console (perhaps cheaper to do by adding additional functions to the processor already in there) as well as redesign the logger to carry the additional traffic.   :-k
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 03:42:04 AM »
I would guess they'd more likely have to do it internal to the console (perhaps cheaper to do by adding additional functions to the processor already in there) as well as redesign the logger to carry the additional traffic.   :-k

That may well be what happens already with the IP logger. But I get the impression that the console CPU and associated resources like RAM are already pretty much maxed out so that would require a major redesign of the console. I can't see that happening with VP2, but who knows what son-of-VP2, if and when that eventually appears, will look like (though I suspect that its architecture will be different from a super-WLIP).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.