Author Topic: Is Virtual VP likely to work with the following hardware/software  (Read 5121 times)

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
Is it likely that Virtual VP will work with my setup?

Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 
Davis Weather Link 6.0.3
VantageVUE firmware version 2.14 in the console

Wanting to run WeatherLink, Cumulus, and Virtual Weather Station concurrenlty.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:32:55 PM by gfmucci »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Re: Is Virtual VP likely to work with the following hardware/software
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »
You are going to run into 2 issues.  The biggest issue is the firmware version of your VP console.  Davis went and updated the communications protocols on the newer VP consoles and the programmer never updated his code to support that new console version.  The newest console firmware you can run is 9/29/2009 Rev B.

If you can get past that hurdle, you'll need to decide how to get the programs to talk to VVP.  Since Windows 10 is new, you might have issues getting the virtual serial port drivers working.  I believe all three of those software packages support IP communications, so I would recommend going that route if at all possible.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 12:19:01 PM »
You are going to run into 2 issues.  The biggest issue is the firmware version of your VP console.  Davis went and updated the communications protocols on the newer VP consoles and the programmer never updated his code to support that new console version.  The newest console firmware you can run is 9/29/2009 Rev B.

If you can get past that hurdle, you'll need to decide how to get the programs to talk to VVP.  Since Windows 10 is new, you might have issues getting the virtual serial port drivers working.  I believe all three of those software packages support IP communications, so I would recommend going that route if at all possible.

Can you tell me a bit more about the IP route?  Does that enable running 3 weather programs currently off my Davis console?

What are examples of IP communications devices or software used for weather stations?  Is it the Ambient Weather Bridge-related stuff?   $$$$, but I guess it works.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:22:38 PM by gfmucci »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
Inside of the VVP program you can setup how program access it.  At the top in green, is my communications with the Davis Console.  I have a serial port data logger configured on COM1.

In the middle, you'll see where you could setup virtual com ports with the appropriate drivers.  Basically those add on COM ports like COM9 or COM16-19 in the picture.  Basically VVP ties one COM port to another.  It can get a bit tricky getting everything configured and each driver is a bit different, so I won't go into much detail there as I've never done it.

All of my programs are IP accessible.  That's the yellow part.  I'm running VWS, VPLive, and Weatherlink all on the same weather PC.  Windows has an internal IP address of 127.0.0.1 by default.  Then there are "ports" inside of that IP address.  Think of the IP address as your house and the port as a door to the house.  Each program uses it's own door or port to talk to the VVP program.  Once you configure VVP port numbers, you configure your software to use that same IP address and port.

What you don't see on my configuration is that I could use the internal IP address of my weather PC instead of the 127.0.0.1.  An address like 192.168.1.100 or what ever your router uses.  With that setup, I could run another piece of software on a different PC in the network and talk to the VVP remotely.  It doesn't have to be on the same machine.  I've even configured my router to allow that port through the firewall and used VPLive at work to see live data from my console.  Not really recommended for security reasons.  But it will work.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:34:58 PM »
Do I still need console firmware not newer than 9/29/2009 Rev B.ed ?

My Weather Link software is version 6.0.3 (2012).  Where/how do I determine my version of the VantageVue console Firmware?

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 03:15:16 PM »

My Weather Link software is version 6.0.3 (2012).  Where/how do I determine my version of the VantageVue console Firmware?
[/quote]             IN YOUR Vantage Vue console manual on page 41, half way down the page.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
Thanks.  I have the VantageVue console.  My firmware version is 2.14.  What year would that be?  Is this version compatible with Virtual VP?

Here are the versions for the Vue from the Davis web site, but no years are given.

Firmware version 3.00
Updated internal communication between console and data logger for improved performance.

Firmware version 2.14
Solved problem of inadvertent low transmitter battery message. It was displaying as soon as a low voltage was detected, now it will not display unless a low battery has been detected for a full 2 minutes.
Outside humidity no longer displays 0%.
Modified heat index table to match the algorithm used by the WeatherLink software.

Firmware version 2.12
Fixed display of historical yearly rain totals over 812 mm for 0.2 mm rain collectors (highs, lows, and graphs).
Range of LCD contrast adjustment reduced by half.
Now you must be in the Current Weather screen to move to the Receive Diagnostic screen.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:32:02 PM by gfmucci »

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »
I just checked my console.  It's at version 1.90.  I'm fairly sure that was the last version compatible.  In 2.X and above, they updated the protocols.

I think you may be able to downgrade the firmware.  I've never tried it.  But I think a few others have.  And I think if your data logger has the green dot on it, it can't be downgraded.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 03:45:44 PM »
So what might "Plan B" be to allow 2 or more programs to work off the same com?   I'm not excited about downgrading firmware in my console.  It's already one version out of date.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 05:10:25 PM »
To my knowledge, I think the MeteoBridge is it.

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 07:57:26 PM »
Well, Dudes and Dudettes (if any), with your help I now have Virtual VP running Weather Link, Cumulus, and Virtual Weather Station all from the same port.

My biggest challenge was making sure various softwares were not running, except VVP.  And then finding the VVP instructions on their web site to make sure their little yellow arrow connected my station with VVP.  Oh, and I didn't learn, until 15 minutes into my trial and error that the TRIAL version of VPP needs to be run in Administrator mode to get it registered.  Little details.

Since my Davis console is a VUE, correct me if I'm wrong, but I changed my WeatherDisplay to recognize my Davis station as a VantagePro and not an Vantage Vue pursuant to the request of the VVP software.  Weather Display appears to have accepted that designation.

My next challenge will be to check all the right boxes so that everything reboots when my computer shuts down and reboots, unaccompanied.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
My next challenge will be to check all the right boxes so that everything reboots when my computer shuts down and reboots, unaccompanied.
Excellent, great persistence.  Perhaps Start Watch, available at the same place as Virtual VP, will do that...

Paul

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:54:24 PM »
Thanks. 

Question users of StartWatch might have encountered:  Windows 10, like earlier versions, has a Start function in the Task Manager.  Also, AVG Ultimate and TuneUp have have their own start managers.  Neither allow sequencing.

What is your suggestion for how VVP and the various weather programs are treated in these other startup programs if StartWatch is used?

I'm thinking that if they are removable from these other start up apps to remove them.  What are your thoughts and experiences?

There is also WinPatrol (see below) but I haven't noticed anyone on here using it...

WinPatrol   https://www.winpatrol.com/mydownloads/
downloadDownload FREE & PLUS
(Requires code to activate PLUS features)
Please note: WinPatrol is not always starting after upgrade.
You can always start WinPatrol from your start-menu or by restarting your computer.

What’s new in V33.6.2015.18 (posted July 27th)
Fixes bug that resulted in some customers not seeing any scheduled tasks.
The scheduled tasks fix will result in some customers being prompted for UAC when opening WinPatrol Explorer.
V33.6.2015.17 (July 25th)

Enhanced start-up logic to include more start-up programs.
Better detection of 64 bit startup and active tasks.
Better detection of 64 bit program status.
Fixes for repeat alerts.
Improved installation/upgrade.
Support for Windows 10 Edge cookies (No Spartan Cookies).
Fixes potential error when disabling/enabling startup tasks that would corrupt data on the screen.
Active Tasks page now displays all running instances of the same executable.
Ability to terminate all active tasks for the same program.
Fixed bug that would result in unwanted UAC prompts when running WinPatrol Explorer
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:00:01 PM by gfmucci »

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »
Question about the continued functioning of VVP:

Everything is working fine, but the Yellow indicators on the VVP dashboard have all disappeared.  Do they only appear when links still have to be made?  Is it normal for the yellow markers to disappear?

Does the absence of the yellow markers mean that if the computer is shut down, automatic links to the programs will NOT be made upon reboot?

Interestingly, I see VVP chugging away in the Processes tab of the Task Manager using between 0 and 0.4% of my CPU, so it must be doing its thing.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:36:38 AM by gfmucci »

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
I was referring to the VVP Home screen, not the Communications window. 

Wel well.  When I searched for the name of the "Communications" window, I now notice my Yellow arrow and Yellow check boxes are showing again.  Son of a gun.

I must have earlier opened a 2nd iteration of the VVP program.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »
 The only thing I've noticed is with Startwatch monitoring Weatherlink. It kept shutting it down and restarting. I just use Startwatch to startup all the weather programs. No monitoring.

I'm going to switch over to using System Scheduler. I use it for everything else. Crons, WXSIM and others.

http://www.splinterware.com/products/wincron.htm

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 02:07:39 PM »
gfmucci,

Since you are new to running VWS, you might not be aware of the fact that StartWatch was written specifically to handle VWS and some unique issues that surround that sofware. VWS is unlike most other software packages when it comes to communicating with and handling data packs from the Davis weather stations. Steve at SoftWx wrote his StartWatch software so it would correctly handle the idiosyncrasies of VWS. No other software, that I am aware of, is capable of handling these issues. And no, I do not know the specifics and Steve never published all of the issues he had with VWS when building his software.

So, given the above considerations, using some other "watch" program that merely looks for hung or stopped processes or excessive memory usage simply won't result in a smooth, unattended operation of VWS.

It's too bad that SoftWx no longer supports their software. We really need a newly updated version of VVP and other SoftWx software to keep up with the latest changes made by Davis... (Steve, if you are still surreptitiously watching this forum we need you back!)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gfmucci

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »
gfmucci,

Since you are new to running VWS, you might not be aware of the fact that StartWatch was written specifically to handle VWS and some unique issues that surround that sofware. VWS is unlike most other software packages when it comes to communicating with and handling data packs from the Davis weather stations. Steve at SoftWx wrote his StartWatch software so it would correctly handle the idiosyncrasies of VWS. No other software, that I am aware of, is capable of handling these issues. And no, I do not know the specifics and Steve never published all of the issues he had with VWS when building his software.

So, given the above considerations, using some other "watch" program that merely looks for hung or stopped processes or excessive memory usage simply won't result in a smooth, unattended operation of VWS.

It's too bad that SoftWx no longer supports their software. We really need a newly updated version of VVP and other SoftWx software to keep up with the latest changes made by Davis... (Steve, if you are still surreptitiously watching this forum we need you back!)
Thanks.  Yes, I am running my VWS along with Cumulus and WeatherLink, using Virtual VP AND Startwatch.  I've been using them now going on 5 days and everything is working smoothly.  It helps to have 12 gigs of RAM.

I haven't been up at 2am when the computer occasionally does its shut down and reboot to accomodate updates and virus checks, but when I look at everything in the morning, it's all up and running without user intervention - so far - cross our fingers.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:29:25 PM by gfmucci »