Author Topic: VWS stops collecting data at midnight every night... RESOLVED - w/work around  (Read 2474 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Okay, VWS/WD gurus, what could be causing this to happen? It used to work just fine before I installed Weather Display in preparation for switching from VWS to WD. Now, every night - without fail - VWS simply stops inputting data but it still continues to run all of the other routines and updating webfiles and my webcam which uses Image Salsa.

I don't like having to get up at midnight every night just to restart VWS and need to figure this out soon. I am now using WD for all of my CWOP/APRS & WU uploads.

I suspect I have something interacting between VWS and WD and possibly WeatherLink that is causing it to stop but so far, I haven't found it.

My setup is as follows:
  • HP Laptop running Win7 Ultimate - lots of memory and multi-core i7 CPU.
  • Software:
    • StartWatch
    • VVP
    • VPLive
    • VWS
    • WeatherLink
    • ImageSalsa
    • WD
  • VVP handles
    • VPLive, VWS, WL & WD via TCP/IP connections
A few seconds after midnight, I see the VVP Activity line for VWS change to "Sent response to Wake Up Console" but, it never changes after that. The only way to get it running again is to shut-down StartWatch and then restart it once all of the processes have stopped. Restarting VWS by itself does not work either. One more thing - WD and the other programs just keep running nicely and don't seem to be impacted by this behavior of VWS except that those relying on VWS data updates show stale data elements.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 07:32:31 PM by W3DRM »
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: VWS stops collecting data at midnight every night...
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 01:50:14 PM »
Based on what I have read on the WD forum regarding the behavior of VVP, it disconnects at midnight to gather some data then reconnects to the programs that gather the VP data. For some reason, in my case anyway, WD, WL & VPLive all restart successfully after the brief interruption at midnight but VWS does not . So, I am wondering if there is some way that I can force the VWS process to quit and let Startwatch automatically restart it once it sees that the process has stopped or gone away? I am thinking about running a CRON job that will automatically determine the PID and simply stop it at 00:02:00 each day.

It would be a workaround but the only way I can think of getting past this issue.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: VWS stops collecting data at midnight every night...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 07:31:58 PM »
Problem solved - albeit it a work-around...

I created a job in Task Scheduler that runs a small batch routine using the TASKKILL utility. I have the batch job set to run at 00:05:00 every morning. I have tested it during the day and the VWS process is stopped and then Startwatch detects the process having gone away and automatically restarts it. I'll know more as I watch this over the next few days.

As I mentioned, this is only a work-around and doesn't really fix the problem with VWS/VVP insteractions. VWS still stops getting updates from VVP every night shortly after midnight. I wish Steve (Softwx) were still around so he could help to figure out what is causing this problem.

anything