Author Topic: VVP Won't talk to Com 3  (Read 4717 times)

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
VVP Won't talk to Com 3
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:37:45 PM »
Had to replace my old weather computer, and I went with a serial to USB adapter using the Prolific drivers.

The port is Com 3 and both VWS and WD talk to the console, but VVP doesn't. It and the Prolific driver are set to 19200. All it does is say "Reading Archive Data" but nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: VVP Won't talk to Com 3
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 12:37:33 PM »
Nothin'?

I need to look at my version of VVP, I'm sure it's pretty old but it may be the latest there is.  It's just odd that both VWS and WD can talk to the console (I have VWS running no problem right now) but VVP acts like it doesn't even see the port.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
Hi Steve,

Not that this will help you but, here is how I have my VP2 setup with VVP. Am also using a Serial-USB adapter without any problems.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:40 PM »
Yep, pretty much how I have mine setup. I just wonder if VVP doesn't like the Prolific drivers.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
What virtual serial driver are you using ? Com0com or NV8 ?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:00:17 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 06:23:10 PM »
For those who are licensed Amateur Radio operators, you can use a signed driver from K5FR - Steve. As indicated on the link, if you aren't a licensed ham, don't bother asking for the driver. It is called VSP-Manager and works beautifully. I've used it for the past few months without any connection issues at all. The software is described in the following link:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 06:32:15 PM »
The problem is... the serial to usb adapter has it's own specific drivers, that is what VVP isn't talking to. I doubt any other drivers would work with that.

USB data-logger has been ordered

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 06:38:10 PM »
The problem is... the serial to usb adapter has it's own specific drivers, that is what VVP isn't talking to. I doubt any other drivers would work with that.

USB data-logger has been ordered

But, I am using a Serial VP2 logger with a usb adapter and it works just fine and has for a long time even with the old prolific drivers installed.

What rev of VP2 firmware are you running?

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
Old, I'll have to go look.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 06:50:13 PM »
But... VWS talks to the console through the adapter no problem. WD talks to it with no problem. The Prolific test software finds it no problem. Everything works through the adapter EXCEPT VVP, and it acts like it can't see it at all.

The little pop-up window that loads when you click "Connect", just sits there and does nothing. The Status window doesn't show a connection, nothing. I tried the newest version that Steve posted and the "Connect" link was greyed out, I'm assuming because the port I chose was invalid in the eyes of VVP. Went back to the old version and I could at least click "Connect" and the window pops up, but the same old result. You can't cancel either, gotta call up task manager and kill it.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »
Hmmm, I've also had major problems getting VVP to connect because I didn't know the exact Comm port that was being used. So, I simply started WeatherLink by itself (no other routines running that would attempt to connect to the comm ports). WL has the ability to automatically find the live comm port. I ran that and discovered I was trying to use another port. I switched VVP to that one and everything started working just like it should. My symptoms were just like yours where everything seemed to run stand-alone but not under VVP. I can't explain why it did that but the WL trick proved which comm port needed to be used.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
Steve,

For USB to UART Bridge (COM3 on my PC):

I'm running the CP210X USB to UART Bridge with an updated driver v6.7: https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Virtual Serial Port Driver:

I've been using http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html which cost $24.95 and is working just fine. This was recommended from SteveFitz1.

There is this one too. Pretty expensive $99.00. http://www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/

I don't have VMS, but I would try the Silabs drivers. I stuck with it since the one that Davis is using is the C210X driver. My two cents worth.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
Our university sent in the VPro2+ for repair and recalibration. Davis updated the logger to the latest firmware (I think the original was v1.9). VVPro would not work but WL and VWS worked fine in direct connect mode. Found out from several posts here that VVPro does not work with the latest logger firmware. It sits and waits for a response it never gets because Davis made a change in the firmware. Since I no longer take care of the university weather station (and the IT guy who replaced me is clueless on a lot of stuff) I told the IT guy just to run VWS and forget about everything else. (This dude is so clueless he called me to ask how much he should insure the station for shipping ??? Uhhh...look it up...DA). So if you updated your logger...that is the issue.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 09:52:47 AM »
Well Garth... that's not good. I just ordered a new USB data-logger.

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 10:36:11 AM »
You can flash it back to the old firmware version. Atleast that is what I read in one of the links here. What the updated firmware fixes/improves....I have not had the time to research.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 10:38:39 AM »
I also saw in the pinned post that Steve has a newer version of VVP that may work.

Offline CurtisZM

• Forecaster
    • CurtisZMWeather
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2015, 01:03:34 PM »
Steve,

I just started using Virtual VP three weeks ago and download the latest exe from SoftWx. That is version 1.2.5.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 01:29:19 PM »
Thanks Curtis, I'll give that one a try.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 01:32:39 PM »
Steve,

How long are you allowing VirtualVP to run with the "Reading Archive Data" message? The reason I ask is, if I remember correctly, the first time VirtualVP runs it archives all the data currently in your data logger to disk. The next time VVP is run, it's able to use this "cache" and doesn't have to reload it again. You might want to let it run 15 minutes or more if you haven't just to see if this might be the issue since this is the initialization run of VVP on your new system.

Just a thought.

Steve

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:05 PM »
Will the Status screen show a connection while it's downloading? Mine doesn't, just wondering.

My new USB logger is suppose to be here today, but maybe I'll try the serial one more time and give it 15 minutes or so. I was wondering about that. I know VWS can take forever in getting all of that data as well.

Thanks.

Offline SteveFitz1

• Forecaster
    • Tyler Texas Weather
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »
Steve,

Sorry, I just don't remember what it shows. Been a while since I had a new install.

You might bring up Task Manager before you bring up VVP and watch the I/O count VVP. If it's increasing quite a bit, that's a good thing.

Steve

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 02:20:44 PM »
Me too, the last time I installed this was years and years ago. :-)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 12:27:22 AM »
The last released version of VVP was 1.2.5.74 back in 2010, I think.

When VVP first connects to the VP2 console/datalogger (with the Status tab selected) you should see the red line between the image of the console and the VVP logo turn to green with an arrow pointing to or from the console to VVP. If that stays red, it indicates you do not have a connect between the two. Clicking on the Activity tab will show you all of the activity for each program connected including the top one for Vp-Console. Mine shows that as a Type of "COM".

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 05:46:11 AM »
I tried the serial adapter one more time. I could see Get Archive Page and Get Archive Page Response but nothing would ever happen after waiting for about 25 minutes.

I installed the USB data-logger, got into WL and found COM7, entered that in VVP. and I was off and running. Now both WD and VWS are talking to VVP with no issues.

Now I'm having to re-learn what I did in WD to get everything working.  :-) No offense to Brian, but that has got to be one of the most "throw it against the wall and see where it sticks" interfaces I've ever worked with.  ;)