Author Topic: moving: need a new weather station for apartment  (Read 909 times)

Offline Zug

moving: need a new weather station for apartment
« on: March 30, 2019, 07:05:04 PM »
Well I'm finally moving out of the dump I've been trapped in for 2 years, I've had a Acuwrong 3 in 1 weather station for a long time with the sensor on my balcony, but the new apartment has no balcony, just a couple old aluminum frame windows.
So just wondering if there's any weather stations that have a smallish sensor  that could be attached just outside the window that actually have useful read outs?  preferably *not* another Acurite..

thanks
Kent

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: moving: need a new weather station for apartment
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 08:05:52 PM »
How about a Ambient Weather WS-8478 Falcon?

I am not to experience on smaller units but this is around your ally... :)

Edit: Also how about http://weatherflow.com/ Its expensive but fits in an apartment setup...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:12:41 PM by txweather.org »

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Zug

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2019, 05:21:23 PM »
Unfortunately I will only have space for something really basic, temp, humidity, barometer.  I'll have to mount it right on the window frame, so can't really use rain gauge or anemometer since it's be to close to the building to make any worth while readings..
Kent

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 06:32:35 PM »
I'll have to mount it right on the window frame, so can't really use rain gauge or anemometer since it's be to close to the building to make any worth while readings..
And unless that particular wall is always shaded, your temp readings won't be worth a damn either as the heat absorbed into the wall from the sun will radiate out into the sensor. I've said it many times here, some places aren't meant for a PWS, yours apparently is one.
Whichever, if you do buy something, I wouldn't spend a whole lot on it.

Offline Zug

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 07:00:42 PM »
I'll have to mount it right on the window frame, so can't really use rain gauge or anemometer since it's be to close to the building to make any worth while readings..
And unless that particular wall is always shaded, your temp readings won't be worth a damn either as the heat absorbed into the wall from the sun will radiate out into the sensor. I've said it many times here, some places aren't meant for a PWS, yours apparently is one.
Whichever, if you do buy something, I wouldn't spend a whole lot on it.

The more I think about it I'm afraid your are probably right.  The only place I can think of that could work is a fence by the back door to the building and it'd be in reach of anybody and probably won't last long.  but if I'm right, the bathroom window faces north.  So there might be a chance. maybe..
Kent

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 07:25:18 PM »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
Ecowitt GW1000. Then add outdoor sensor.  But you'll need to construct or buy a 3rd party Stevenson screen for weather proofing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:22:07 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything