Author Topic: Davis Vp2 24h fars Fairlawn New Jersey  (Read 2062 times)

Offline Marty

Davis Vp2 24h fars Fairlawn New Jersey
« on: November 22, 2019, 11:37:37 PM »
   Hey everyone had this station for a while, keep making it better and currently 3yrs at current location ..
Davis Vp2  24hr fars , station is at 5ft and anemometer 35ft    have some wild swings of temperature, specially when winds die down so  i have moved the station to its current location  , more of open space
anyway here it is..

20191109_143425

20191109_143608

here are some latest abnormalities  , closest asos station is kteb about 4miles to the south  .. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Davis Vp2 24h fars Fairlawn New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 12:07:24 AM »
Firstly, that's one of the most aesthetically pleasing ISS sittings I've seen, almost looks like a lawn sculpture (well, at least to this weather geek).
So, when you say  "moved", where was it before, on the roof?  How long have you had "wild swings" and what do you base that on? Also, curious why you have a DFARS cover on your transmitter box with a 24hr ISS?

Offline Marty

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 12:59:35 AM »
Yes it was a dfars at first so kept the extra solar , spliced it with the other one on top. As far the location goes i had it all around the yard mostly in the corners (small yard) , closer to tree , shed etc. Not looking pleasing wife says  :lol: Always numbers vary a little once winds subside....   first i thought it maybe my station placement but i guess characteristics of my area ...

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »
Always numbers vary a little once winds subside....   first i thought it maybe my station placement but i guess characteristics of my area ...
Certainly possible. Time for the Captain Obvious question...since you state the problem is in lesser wind conditions, you're sure the fan is working properly and pulling air in from the bottom of the ISS, right?

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
I have the same problem with sensors in the shade vs. the other stations I have in the field in full sunshine. Thats why the handbook says not to put temp. sensors in the shade. Some of us do not have a choice with this living close to a wooded area. Low wind can also cause temperatures to drop with no mixing of the air movement.

Thanks,
tweatherman

Offline fish-on

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
nice looking station. I like the post idea. One question is, do you have an in ground sprinkler system. If you do, that could cause strange readings. Also, if you do have 24hr FARS unit, like another poster asked, is the fan working and is it getting up to speed. Having the unit mounted in the shade is going to wipe out the charge in the FARS batteries unless you get at least 2-3 hrs of good direct sunlight. I have my FARS unit mounted where I get at least 4hrs of direct sunlight and I have a sprinkler system which adjust my temp/humidity readings every 3 days. This is the result of wet ground, not the station getting sprayed. Height of station is above sprinkler arc. My graphs show the "Sprinkler Effect" when I look at my Weatherlink app on my computer.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 10:57:19 AM »
Looks good, as tweatherman said do the best you can, full sun exposure is the goal but many have no choice but to have shade part of the day. Shade acts like cloud cover that's why we strive for full sun exposure.
Randy

Offline Marty

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
Looks good, as tweatherman said do the best you can, full sun exposure is the goal but many have no choice but to have shade part of the day. Shade acts like cloud cover that's why we strive for full sun exposure.

Station is fairly in  the sun most of the year,  now in November limited sun due to angle.. 

Regularly  check on the fan  all the time and also have a backup station  to verify  =D>

Offline fish-on

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:45:22 AM »
so maybe you are experiencing what I do. Since my station is surrounded by grass, when it cools at night the grass gets more surface moisture from moisture in the air condensing on grass and I see a sharp increase in humidity from station for a few hours in morning. This happens all the time and in winter with frost it last longer as the frost evaporates and goes back into the atmosphere. Your station looks awesome in the yard surrounded by lawn.

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Very nice setup!   Looks beautiful!