Author Topic: The best I can do  (Read 1173 times)

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
The best I can do
« on: January 05, 2020, 05:34:18 PM »
I got my Davis Pro2 plus setup. This is about the best I can do in the suburb. The temp/hum is 5 feet 6 inches above the grass. The wind mast is 19 feet but still is influenced be the trees, fence and surrounding buildings. I did notice after I installed the day time fan my temp now matches the reading from a fire station using a Davis Pro2 about .4 miles from me.
Ya do what ya can!
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: The best I can do
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 06:00:04 PM »
You may want to put some cinder block, sand bags, something, on the base of the tripod. Good gust of wind may put it on it's side, the ISS isn't the most aerodynamic of a thing. Certainly not worth waiting to see if it will happen even thought the ISS will be probably be fine, but it'll surely trash the anemometer if it does.

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 06:16:12 PM »
Thanks Forcaster. That  is on my list for tomorrow. Head to Home Depot to get either blocks or sand bags. 
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2020, 06:19:59 PM »
Looks good. Other then some weight on the bottom of the stand that's the best you can do. Urban siting you take what you can get.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »
I got my Davis Pro2 plus setup. This is about the best I can do in the suburb. The temp/hum is 5 feet 6 inches above the grass. The wind mast is 19 feet but still is influenced be the trees, fence and surrounding buildings. I did notice after I installed the day time fan my temp now matches the reading from a fire station using a Davis Pro2 about .4 miles from me.
Ya do what ya can!

You will enjoy it. Looks good. Not everyone lives in the middle of a treeless prairie. My anemometer is at 20 feet but the geography (I am in a bowl shaped land feature with steep creek banks on the north) influences my wind measurements to some extent. I thought about moving my house to avoid this  :lol: but you know how it is.

Good luck and enjoy

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 10:37:50 PM »
Ya do what ya can!
The questions, when you move this station to cut the grass will it give false rainfall readings, also, is the rain collector below the height of the fence and if so will it affect the rain totals.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 07:23:43 AM »
Instead of cinder blocks or sand bags, I would use pavers as it would make it look nicer. If they aren't heavy enough, then they can be double or triple high.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »
For what it's worth, here is a picture of how I ground mounted my station. I used these "deck blocks" at each leg. I also have a single one to support my rain gauges (one each).

Here is the ISS on the tripod using them.

They weigh close to 42 lbs (19 kg) each. It has been used for over five years without any problem.

I used "redhead" anchors for each leg mounting at the deck blocks.

For the OP's installation, adding weight to the frame is probably the best solution. Another idea would be to add those screw in guy anchors like these.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SlothRocket

• Weather Underground
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 09:15:52 AM »
It hasn't been hard to move the station to mow the grass. I just pick it up by the mast being very careful not to tip the rain gauge. As for the rain and the fence influence, I haven't noticed any difference. It still matches the stations around me. I am 6 feet from the fence.
I think I am going to go the paver route for the stabilization. They would be easy to take off and move.
Davis Pro2 Plus
MeteoBridge
FW6600
KFLNEWPO156
Windy F0690740