Author Topic: Spring/Summer '20  (Read 19572 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Spring/Summer '20
« on: March 03, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »
Haven't see the annual thread yet. One of my favorites. Could I offer up the 2020 thread without appearing to be too presumptuous for a relatively new guy ? Here it is March already. Pretty soon the leaves will be bursting out all over. Even in Minnesota.  :grin:

Our CWA NWS storm spotters meeting is tomorrow night.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Spring/Summer '20
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »
too soon.

we have snow on the ground. But it is patchy. Warmth this week may burn most of it off. Just to show what the voles did to my yard.

I know we have at least two more good snows in us here.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
too soon.

we have snow on the ground. But it is patchy. Warmth this week may burn most of it off. Just to show what the voles did to my yard.

We don't get the vole tracks under the snow here because we rarely have snow cover that lasts that long; however, I am familiar with them. It is looking like an early spring for us. 61 F with a Red Flag right now.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 04:06:10 PM »
too soon.

We don't get the vole tracks under the snow here because we rarely have snow cover that lasts that long; however, I am familiar with them. It is looking like an early spring for us. 61 F with a Red Flag right now.

The ground is still pretty much covered with snow here, but some grassy spots are showing up.  I spotted this little vole playground when I took the dog for a walk today.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 03:52:56 AM »
Thanks for getting this going DRoberts thought about it but have been preoccupied the last few days.
Randy

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
Might START thinking spring in another month or so. ](*,)

Mark

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 12:11:52 PM »
Well we do " Spring " Forward this weekend  :shock: :lol: :lol:   Sunday , March 8 2020   [tup]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 12:19:44 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2020, 03:04:48 PM »
Snow flurries today. Will not accumulate

projected 60 on Sunday.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
What is winter? It was pretty non-existent in southern New England this year. Had a 70º day in January, already hitting 50s and 60s on a regular basis. Nothing on the ground to melt. Just about every storm was snow to mix to rain, or in the opposite direction.

I went to a spotter refresher class last night and the met who taught it was all excited when he moved here a couple years ago (from TN via WA) to experience New England winters. He's bummed that we've had two duds. I told him we got 10 years of snow in 2015 so it'll be a while...

Go a few hundred miles north, though.... And apparently it's a thing that when we have a non-winter, Newfoundland gets clobbered.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »
Large areas of KS, NE, and Plains under Red Flag today. Our winds have been gusting 40-45+ all afternoon. This attachment shows smoke from a fire in Beaver Co, OK this afternoon. Way above normal temperatures and fairly dry air don't help.

This fire has affected 10,000 acres. Other smaller fires in KS and NE today as well.

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 06:57:09 PM »
Tweet from the NWS Duluth office today:

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »
Welcome to spring, Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 11:10:53 AM »
Its that time of year for occasional blizzard right during the calving season on cue. We may actually be too far north and only get an inch or two. Storm started tracking south on models as soon as warnings went up  :oops:.  1/4" of rain has fallen so far.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »
Ended up with 2.5" snow with lots of blowing. We've had much worse but it did fill in some of the corona boredom.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 11:53:19 PM »
Interesting development.  Tonight, strong storms have formed in western Kansas and expected to move southeast to northern Oklahoma.   Stillwater is on track to get one of the heaviest amounts with 1.13"  We'll see.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 02:57:12 PM »
Interesting development.  Tonight, strong storms have formed in western Kansas and expected to move southeast to northern Oklahoma.   Stillwater is on track to get one of the heaviest amounts with 1.13"  We'll see.

To no surprise of my own, the projected rain amount for Stillwater was well off.  The only rain amounts just over an inch were at a couple of places near the Kansas border.  That much extra rain isn't sorely missed,  since March average for rain has been surpassed, now at 3.85" here.  Finally several days of sunny weather returns.

However, predicted amount for Oklahoma City was spot on and some other sites, interestingly enough.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:59:40 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 08:54:52 AM »
End of March is approaching and we are down about 1 inch in normal precipitation here. I have .83 in my station, normal 1.80. March is the beginning of our "wet" months. System is supposed to come through this weekend, but it seems central Nebraska is in the bullseye at the present time. I should make a sacrifice to the rain gods for a nice half inch or more for my location. Anyone have a spare chicken? (no offense intended here)

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 01:49:28 PM »
End of March is approaching and we are down about 1 inch in normal precipitation here. I have .83 in my station, normal 1.80. March is the beginning of our "wet" months. System is supposed to come through this weekend, but it seems central Nebraska is in the bullseye at the present time.

We are getting a little rain today, just over a tenth of an inch so far.  The forecast suggested a touch of snow, but the temperature has remained in the mid-30s.  We also have a shot at some rain this weekend when that system comes through.  I see that there are red flag warnings today extending from Eastern New Mexico through the Panhandles and up into your area.  Hoping this weekend’s system will give us all a good soaking.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 06:32:55 PM »
Warmest day of the year, 85F for me, but not gonna last with the trough moving through tomorrow. However, progged to push 90F later next week. Triple digits just around the corner.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 08:22:20 PM »
Hoping for a brutal heatwave with high humidity soon. Houston is already getting warm too. Hotter the better this year.  =D>
Randy

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »
9.2” of snow yesterday morning here in Leeds, Maine after what has been a very mild and snowless spring so far. Most of the snow has melted already however, with temps well into the 40’s the past two days.
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 09:40:40 PM »
How did your maple syrup season go this year?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:56:11 PM by BKS97 »

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 06:04:05 AM »
How did your maple syrup season go this year?
It was a very good year, and for many it’s still going! We decided to pull the taps out last weekend as we’ve made enough to satisfy for a while.
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 05:58:11 PM »
Hoping for a brutal heatwave with high humidity soon. Houston is already getting warm too. Hotter the better this year.  =D>

Not so sure about the brutal part.  :shock: But we need to have a decent thunderstorm season this year . Very little last year. I don't want severe, just nice rains, some wind, a bit of lightning.  Anyone writing this down???

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 07:15:21 PM »
Well, my thinking was heat may kill the virus. Lots of heat and humidity.  This would be a great year for it.
Randy