Author Topic: WS 2812 wind sensor  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
WS 2812 wind sensor
« on: September 15, 2013, 03:05:09 PM »
Wind sensor quit working so went through the dance to start-up and nothing, held my breath and took apart and found the batteries have failed. Corrosion on ends of - end on both batteries, not bad but corrosion is aparent. My question is will NIMH batteries work? (nickel metal hydride) :???:

Thanks

Nick
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS 2812 wind sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 05:06:17 PM »
Hi Nick, haven't seen you around for some time. Welcome back!
 I haven't tried this myself but understand from readings that it's a "toss of a coin" whether it will work or not. I've read where some folks have had luck with the swap. It boils down to a lower operating voltage where the stock rechargeable Alkalines are 2 X 1.5v vs. NiMH (or NiCD's) are 2 X 1.2v. Instead of the anemometer running at 3 volts it will run at 2.4 volts and that particular RF link, anemometer-to-thermo/hygro sensor, can be finicky in normal operation. Worth a shot though and I for one would like to hear your results so I can plan for when my turn comes. I've been keeping my eyes open for rechargeable alkalines around here but haven't seen any so I might have to try it myself when the time comes. :?:

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 08:45:45 PM »
Hi Dan, I can always count on you giving your input! Thanks! Ok I put in Energizer 1.2v, they were pre charged and the reading was 1.3 on each. The Initial start is good. I have all sensors back in place and no problems. I will keep fingers crossed and see what it does.

Nick
Nick

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:03 AM »
The replacement batteries have been working great for a week now. 8-)
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
That's good to know. Thanks for the update Nick. I read that the amount of recharge cycles for rechargeable Alkalines are far less than for other types of batteries such as NiMH so you may be better off now. Guess mine's due any time now. I started it up Dec. 09.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 07:36:35 AM »
Great! thanks for the heads up. Lithium Ion Polymer's are added to my "watch for" list.

Offline 2812owner

• La Crosse WS-2812
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 09:45:19 PM »
Several months ago my ws-2812 anny stopped transmitting and I found corrosion on the rechargeable alkaline batteries.  I replaced with rechargeable alkalines (http://www.amazon.com/IGO-AC05058-0001-RECHARGEABLE-ALKALINE-BATTERIES/dp/B005E1LLC6/ref=pd_sim_e_6) and all is fine. Good luck.

Offline Halcyon

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:07 PM »
Hi, I had the same problem with four wind sensors that stopped working after about 2-3 years. The AAA batteries installed were Topcel 1000mAh ZnMn; available from China and alibaba.com. I had a hellofatime finding info on rechargeable Alkaline batteries available in N.America: Radio Shack, Grainger, and Batteries Plus all say alkaline is not rechargeable and the NiMh ones only charge to 1.2v not 1.5v; and we all know how sticky LC is with voltages so I didn't want to experiment.

So thanks for the lead, I just ordered 8 of them from Amazon for $13, which beats the hell out of $240 to replace the wind sensors, and I'll leave the rest to history after I get them.

Somewhere on these posts I saw the word "surgical" when describing how to change the batteries. That is only true if you turn the sensor upside down (like I did, of course) when trying to get it apart. The surgical part comes when trying to relocate a bearing that falls out. Brain surgery. SO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FIRST OPEN THE WIND SENSOR TO REPLACE BATTERIES!

I don't know why LC doesn't try to help here by showing the 'repair' and offering replacement batteries or offering to change out batteries for you for a small percentage of entire wind sensor replacement ($60). Throwing away a good instrument for lack of batteries is not very environmental or good customer service.

Also while I'm up on my soap box. I also don't know why LC doesn't publish a numeric wind direction (that shows on the display to the nearest degree) so that can be plotted on Heavy Weather. Wundermap does take that data as it is uploaded and plotted from 0-359 degT. Most meteorologists know that wind is 'everything', showing transitions from one atmospheric state to another such as the morning transition, advection patterns, and frontal passages.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
"Somewhere on these posts I saw the word "surgical" when describing how to change the batteries. That is only true if you turn the sensor upside down (like I did, of course) when trying to get it apart. The surgical part comes when trying to relocate a bearing that falls out. Brain surgery. SO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FIRST OPEN THE WIND SENSOR TO REPLACE BATTERIES!"

I haven't seen any bearings trying to escape and the only precaution I did notice is to be sure the vane comes off first then the enclosure top half come off up over the shaft the vane mounts to. This prevents breaking an L.E.D. light guide inside. If you just separate the wind sensor in half without taking the vane off you risk breaking this component inside. ;)

Offline svbob

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 09:17:57 PM »
I just did the surgery on the Lacrosse anemometer to replace the batteries. 1) first take the vane off the top by pulling the little plastic cap off and unscrewing the little screw holding it on. Carefully pry off the vane. 2) turn the unit over and remove the screws holding the housing holding the cups on. Be careful of the gasket. 3) remove four screws holding the circuit board in place. 4)as you remove the circuit board push the shaft for the vane with the board. There is an optical coupler over an LED which can easy break, which goes around an encoder disk which needs to come out with the circuit board. If you happen to break the plastic part of the coupler, just glue it back on. 4) Carefully remove the batteries, remove any corrosion and crud from the clips and buff the clips lightly. 5) It seems like any AAA rechargeable will work except Li-ion (3.3v cell), but Green Energy makes a 7 year rechargeable alkaline battery available from Amazon. It should work. 6) Turn the unit so that the board with the vane shaft is being inserted from the bottom and jiggle the board until it seats. 7) reassemble. You should test the batteries after you install the circuit board by measuring the voltage on the battery clip terminals to make sure you assembled it correctly.

Offline WVZR-1

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 08:18:09 AM »
5) It seems like any AAA rechargeable will work except Li-ion (3.3v cell), but Green Energy makes a 7 year rechargeable alkaline battery available from Amazon. It should work.

Has anyone confirmed that "most any" AAA rechargeable will work? Is there an easily available "local" option to use? I don't find the suggested "Green Energy" from Amazon and I don't believe I overlooked them. Maybe? Anyone have a working link for "known to work" product?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
In reply no.2 above, member Duck Fan said he used regular Energizer AAA rechargeable batteries successfully. That suggests to me that you should be o.k. with most other brand NiMh, NiCd AAA types even though the LC manual specifies you could have problems.

Offline Alienengineer

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »
Hi, I had the same problem with four wind sensors that stopped working after about 2-3 years. The AAA batteries installed were Topcel 1000mAh ZnMn; available from China and alibaba.com. I had a hellofatime finding info on rechargeable Alkaline batteries available in N.America: Radio Shack, Grainger, and Batteries Plus all say alkaline is not rechargeable and the NiMh ones only charge to 1.2v not 1.5v; and we all know how sticky LC is with voltages so I didn't want to experiment.

So thanks for the lead, I just ordered 8 of them from Amazon for $13, which beats the hell out of $240 to replace the wind sensors, and I'll leave the rest to history after I get them.

Somewhere on these posts I saw the word "surgical" when describing how to change the batteries. That is only true if you turn the sensor upside down (like I did, of course) when trying to get it apart. The surgical part comes when trying to relocate a bearing that falls out. Brain surgery. SO BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU FIRST OPEN THE WIND SENSOR TO REPLACE BATTERIES!

I don't know why LC doesn't try to help here by showing the 'repair' and offering replacement batteries or offering to change out batteries for you for a small percentage of entire wind sensor replacement ($60). Throwing away a good instrument for lack of batteries is not very environmental or good customer service.

Also while I'm up on my soap box. I also don't know why LC doesn't publish a numeric wind direction (that shows on the display to the nearest degree) so that can be plotted on Heavy Weather. Wundermap does take that data as it is uploaded and plotted from 0-359 degT. Most meteorologists know that wind is 'everything', showing transitions from one atmospheric state to another such as the morning transition, advection patterns, and frontal passages.
I have to agree. Mine is still under the 1 year warrantee,  (been 2 months since I opened the box!) but all I get from LaCrosse, after telling me how to restart, is crickets. I have a string of emails, with absolutely no reply. I would bet that taking the thing apart voids the warrantee, so I have not done that yet. If they're going to be jerks about it, though, as it certainly appears that the are,  I certainly will steer folks away from them