Author Topic: CoCoRaHS: Reporting Snow For The First Time... How To?  (Read 2433 times)

Offline DJMWX86

• Senior Contributor
  • I LOVE WX!
CoCoRaHS: Reporting Snow For The First Time... How To?
« on: November 06, 2010, 01:01:12 AM »
Hi All,

I have been a CoCoRaHS member since April of this year and seeing our first snow fall today  :shock: am wondering how to go about reporting snow fall for this season being my first time and all? Is it hard to do? I saw the training slide shows but am still a bit confused. Any help here much welcome. Thanks.  ;)
Thanks.
Doug
CW2334=CWOP
KOHMOREL1=WUnderground
OH-CY-13=CoCoRaHS
WX Station: Davis VP2 6152 (Wireless)
WX OS: VWS 15.00
VWSaprs: v. 2.0.2.0.

[

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: CoCoRaHS: Reporting Snow For The First Time... How To?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:26:31 AM »
Doug, did you use the 4" tube only last night? The funnel should be removed when you're expecting snow or sleet. Either way, melt the snow and pour it into the small tube to measure. Is that what you're asking?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
Contact your county coordinator, your region coordinator or your state coordinator for their guidelines.
My abbreviated procedures:
Measure the accumulation/depth of new snow using a ruler to the nearest tenth of an inch.
Measure the water content of the new snow using the outer cylinder of the rain gauge (procedure below).
Measure the total accumulation of new snow and old snow.
If you have significant accumulation on the ground, take a core sample and measure the water equivalent of the core.

For the water content:
Remove the inner tube and funnel when snow is anticipated.
If snow has accumulated at the top rim of the gauge, use a paddle or flyswatter to pat the snow.  The snow that falls inside, you measure.  The snow that falls outside is discarded.
Take the large cylinder of the gauge inside to a sink.
Put a measured amount of warm water in the small inner cylinder.  Record this amount.
Pour this warm water into the outer cylinder to melt the snow.
Using the funnel, pour the combined water content back into the empty inner cylinder for measuring the water content of the snow.  Measure this water as you normally measure rain.  Measure to one hundredth of an inch as with rain.
Then subtract the amount of warm water that you added from the total amount of water that was in the otter cylinder.
This amount then is the water content of the snow.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:15:13 AM »
Additional:  If you don't expect more precip, take the gauge inside and let the snow melt in the gauge.  Measure the water content using the inner cylinder.  
Some observers who receive frequent snow, has two gauges and simply swap them.  One outside and the other inside to melt/measure snow.
The inner cylinder should also be removed if there is a possibility of the accumulated water freezing in the inner cylinder.  This tube may crack if the water freezes in it.  Tom knows what glue to use for repair of the polycarbonite tube.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:44:11 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:21:03 AM »
I have used the microwave to melt the snow ( being careful not to let boil)

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27