Author Topic: Battery Backup or UPS  (Read 960 times)

Offline arnie

Battery Backup or UPS
« on: March 05, 2021, 08:23:43 AM »
I have a AcuRite model 06058 HD display. Well it took a dump  :cry:and I don't know if I should replace it with the same display or choose a model that has a battery backup, or a get the the same display and add a small UPS. Can anyone suggest a  small reasonable UPS? Any help or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Re: Battery Backup or UPS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 10:35:16 AM »
I have a cyber power UPS   I use it for my computer and other items as well,  it has never failed me ...yet.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
I have a AcuRite model 06058 HD display. Well it took a dump  :cry:and I don't know if I should replace it with the same display or choose a model that has a battery backup, or a get the the same display and add a small UPS. Can anyone suggest a  small reasonable UPS? Any help or suggestions will be gratefully appreciated :shock: :shock: :shock:

How old is the display? Acurite has been good about replacing the displays under warranty and some after warranty  . If you contact them make sure you have the QC number off of it .

I use a old cyberpower and the only thing I have done to it is replace the battery after 5 years . I don't use it for my displays but rather my modem/ router and my security camera DVR . 

Offline arnie

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »

How old is the display? Acurite has been good about replacing the displays under warranty and some after warranty  . If you contact them make sure you have the QC number off of it .

I use a old cyberpower and the only thing I have done to it is replace the battery after 5 years . I don't use it for my displays but rather my modem/ router and my security camera DVR .
Thanks for the help

Offline arnie

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 07:34:53 AM »
Ok, I looked at the power supply for my display,it says output 5 volts 1.0A. My AcuRite 06058 display is the only thing I want to keep alive for a hour if I lose power during a electrical storm. I was leaning to the Cyberpower ST425. It seems this is kinda overkill for what I am just going to use it for. I would think there would have to be something smaller with just 2 receptacles. Is there something else that I could use. I asked AccuRite and they would not offer any input. I understand why. But all I am trying to do is keep my display alive for a hour or less so it will retain all of the high and low records. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:47 AM »
For what it's worth:  I have two Texas Instruments 8000 stations.  They are unique among the various stations I have, in the fact that they have a 12 v Gel Cell 7 amphour battery inside the metal box.  The charger is not the ordinary wall wart, but a wall wart that has been made especially for keeping gel cells topped off.  The batteries were changed when I got them, and have been perfect for over 5 years, so they are probably getting close to needing a check with the battery charge/discharge device I got from a Radio Controlled Airplane hobby store.  But the message is that you just don't hook a regular wall power supply to these. 

In any event, they have a very simple wiring that the station pulls power from the battery which is kept charged.  When the grid power fails for whatever reason, the battery keeps the station and it's recording alive.  The displays are still showing wind, rain rate, etc.

To be frank, our power has been remarkably reliable.  Brief outages with lightning strikes at the substation and between here and there, but usually it trips and is back on line within seconds.  This means resetting every darned clock EXCEPT these stations, and with my computers on UPS for filtering and brief outages, I still get my history of the storm.

You say your station takes 5 volts, so a 6 volt battery MAY be OK without over volting the station, or you could put in a little voltage control chip and just generate a little heat to make it furnish 5 volts. 

Gel Cells aren't cheap any more, and 6 volts (other than the sporting stores for fish finders and such) are hard to find, especially in larger amp sizes, but that is what eBay and Amazon are for, right?  Or if price is no barrier, go to Batteries 'R Us or something.  It just depends on what you want to do.  I find some places with computer stuff sell UPS solutions as a loss leader and are far more versatile than a pure battery back up.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline arnie

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 08:37:00 AM »
Thank You Dale