Author Topic: New WiFi Logger Installation - coexist with WeatherCat  (Read 965 times)

Offline TonyLon

New WiFi Logger Installation - coexist with WeatherCat
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
I've just purchased and installed the WiFi Logger into a Vantage Vue ( I previously had the Davis USB Data Logger which I downloaded to Weatherlink on my PC periodically).

All is well with the setup and I can see the Logger webpage on my home network.
And I have configured it to send regular updates to wunderground.com which works ok too.

But the problem comes when i connect the Logger to WeatherCat (I now have a Mac rather than a PC).
WeatherCat can see the logger just fine and also downloads any historical data stored in the memory of the Logger.
But whilst it is connected to WeatherCat the logger stops updating either on the internal webpage or through updates externally to Wunderground.
I get the message: "Pause:auto" on the main Real Time Data screen and to me it looks like WeatherCat has control of the link and nothing else can use it.
The TCP port settings are set to "pause with disconnect" which I assume should be the setting to allow two services to see the data on the Logger.

Any ideas?

And a supplementary question:
WeatherCat is also able to send updates to external sites such as Wunderground.
Do people generally send direct from the Logger or from 3rd party software such as WeatherCat ?

Offline BigAlT

Re: New WiFi Logger Installation - coexist with WeatherCat
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:14:42 PM »
Try changing Pause with disconnect to Pause. That’s my WFL default configuration.
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline TonyLon

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:44:28 PM »
Tried changing to Pause - but seems to make no difference :-(

Offline Fifth Horseman

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 05:09:09 PM »
Not much help to you but I have the same problem, none of the TCP port settings have any effect on the fault.  TBH it seems like an issue created by the way WeatherCat captures data, in that once WC receives/requests live wind speed/direction data, it then locks out WiFi logger.
I use WC to send data to WeatherUnderground etc.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:27:35 PM »
Wojtek will probably chime in soon but with Weatherlink  and Cumulus  the wifi logger will pause and let the software do it's thing. So may be it is a Weathercat issue.
As for your question about letting the software do the uploads as opposed to the wifi logger I would go with the logger. It has that capability built in so use it. Also the other way you have to keep the software running 24/7 unless you planned to do that.

Offline Fifth Horseman

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 01:35:16 PM »
I should have realised this earlier - my excuse is that I don't normally upload data from the WiFi logger to Weatherlink.

You must have the WC option "allow connections to weatherlink.com" selected (found under Tools>Station Hardware Options..) this releases the logger connection every minute (normally active as WC is continuously receiving real time updates) every minute allowing WiFi logger to send data to any services that are configured.
Using the setting "Pause with disconnect" option seems to work.

What you should then see on the WiFiLogger real time page is "Pause: auto" whilst WC is connected, this then changes to live data every minute when the logger is able to transmit data to any configured web services.

Offline TonyLon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »
 [tup] Many thanks to Fifth Horseman:

Setting connections to weatherlink.com on seemed to do the trick.
(Somewhat counterintuitively as I'm not actually using weatherlink.com)

So if the logger is only able to transmit every minute I assume there is no point setting the interval that the logger sends to Wunderground at anything less than 1 minute?
And I also assume that there's no point in enabling RapidFire on the Wunderground config as it will onlyt send data every minute.

And my reasoning for connecting to WU via the logger rather than WeatherCat are the same as ocala sys. The logger will be permanantly live 24/7 bwhereas my computer may not be

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 08:26:06 PM »
Yes you can set WU to Rapid Fire. 3 seconds is the interval I use.

anything