Miscellaneous Debris > Chit-Chat

What if we could no longer access the likes of Ecowitt.....

(1/4) > >>

Bashy:
Hi folks, I cannot find the rules to check on political even though its not my intention to be political and i dont want it turning political, as you will see, its a legit question and would like to keep it on topic with regards to the actual question, i hate politics.

As you all know about the war in Ukraine and this has led to sanctions with Russia throughout the world.

A scary thought has just popped into my head, what if China and Taiwan start up and we then sanction China, cause we will, thats a given.

I am sure one way or another, we will get cut off from many Chinese services be it we ban them or they ban us form using them, either way, one of those could be their servers thus killing access to Ecowitt, do you think that this is a possibility?

For me, its not just Ecowitt, I have a few differrent wifi cameras that are also China based.
The same with some smarthome devices i have such as switches (Ewelink) and sensors (Aeotec), various bulbs and plugs that use  Smart Life, Meross, Govee etc. it could make them all obsolete, see what i mean about scary?

CW2274:
I think your concern is completely justified. Granted, it can be challenging, but this among many other reasons is why I knowingly avoid buying from the CCP like the plague.

box:

--- Quote from: Bashy on April 22, 2022, 10:46:41 PM ---Hi folks, I cannot find the rules to check on political even though its not my intention to be political and i dont want it turning political, as you will see, its a legit question and would like to keep it on topic with regards to the actual question, i hate politics.

As you all know about the war in Ukraine and this has led to sanctions with Russia throughout the world.

A scary thought has just popped into my head, what if China and Taiwan start up and we then sanction China, cause we will, thats a given.

I am sure one way or another, we will get cut off from many Chinese services be it we ban them or they ban us form using them, either way, one of those could be their servers thus killing access to Ecowitt, do you think that this is a possibility?

For me, its not just Ecowitt, I have a few differrent wifi cameras that are also China based.
The same with some smarthome devices i have such as switches (Ewelink) and sensors (Aeotec), various bulbs and plugs that use  Smart Life, Meross, Govee etc. it could make them all obsolete, see what i mean about scary?

--- End quote ---
buy shares in Davis? AFAICS all the other manufacturers depend on China to some degree

Also backup your data either by downloading from ecowitt regularly or better, invest in some independent logging/analysis software like Cumulus MX or weather display

Mattk:
Then it will just become a little bit more expensive to buy other hardware made by other countries, we really need to get over China.

vreihen:
Considering that home automation companies iHome and Insteon have both shut down their cloud servers and left customers holding houses full of electronic bricks this month alone, I'd say that your fear is justified.

Personally, I don't buy anything whatsoever with cloud dependencies unless there are absolutely no other options.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version