Weather Station Hardware > Barani Design Weather Stations and Accessories

portal allMETEO changes and software

<< < (5/5)

Julius:

--- Quote from: Jorginho on November 19, 2020, 04:46:35 AM ---Davis provides such almost reatime data. That is at least my point.

--- End quote ---
That's actually not true. Davis transfers only a select portion of (passed measured) sensor data every few seconds.
"The Vantage Pro2, Vantage VUE, and Vantage Pro consoles use the "10-minute average wind speed" to determine wind chill, which is updated once per minute. When 10-minute of wind speed data is unavailable, it uses a running average until 10-minutes worth of data is collected. The WeatherLinkŪ software uses the 10-minute average wind speed also."
"rain rate data is sent with a nominal interval of 10 to 12 seconds. Every time a rain tip or click occurs, a new rain rate value is computed (from the timer values) and the rate timers are reset to zero"

Either way, the point is that the meteohelix sensor data is measured, stored and collected real-time, and the delay by which you can see its data depends on the moment of transfer. It can be 1 second later, but it can be 599 seconds later as well.

johnd:

--- Quote from: Julius on November 24, 2020, 05:14:45 AM ---
--- Quote from: Jorginho on November 19, 2020, 04:46:35 AM ---Davis provides such almost reatime data. That is at least my point.

--- End quote ---
That's actually not true. Davis transfers only a select portion of (passed measured) sensor data every few seconds.

--- End quote ---

TBH I think this is a debate about nothing much. You have to define the time domain for each weather parameter of interest.

The only parameter that changes on a timescale of a few seconds is wind speed (and direction). You can debate what time period speed should be measured over, but these days a gust tends to be defined officially with a duration of 2-3 seconds, which is exactly what Davis measures and makes available to loggers etc. If you want genuinely live wind speeds (and I'm not saying I do, at least not remotely, but if...) then this does the job.

A rainfall update every 10 seconds is sufficient for rainfall rates up to about 72mm/hr (0.2mm) or 3.6"/hr (0.01") which is pretty intense rain.

I think you'll find that wind chill is calculated according to some official formula which uses 10 min mean wind speeds. The formula has changed over the years.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version