Administration > WXForum.net Announcements

New members from Accuweather forums .. a bit of orientation

(1/6) > >>

saratogaWX:
As Accuweather.com forums have published that they are intending to cease operation, we are pleased to offer a 'clean, well lighted place for discussions' so our fellow weather enthusiasts can continue discussions on weather topics.

So, a hearty welcome to you, Accuweather 'refugees' :)

The Accuweather Current Weather - United States was organized as one forum/board with several sub-forums as shown in the image below.  We have a slightly different set of boards to use for your topics located under the "General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics" area.

For specific storms (like posts in the accuweather main US forum, I suggest you use the Weather Conditions Discussion or Severe Weather discussion boards for posts.   The Tropical Weather and Long-Range U.S. Forecasts boards here match the usage on Accuweather boards.

We have a separate Posting Games section for games (on which post counts for members do not increment).

The Weather Conditions Discussions area is the place to put Personal Weather Discussions.

Non-weather related stuff should go in Chit Chat and non-weather related technical discussions in Tech Corner

Be aware that posting counts do not increment on topics in Posting Games or Chit Chat boards, and posting counts are not indicative of expertise/quality -- only of number of postings.

The forum rules are very simple:
--- Quote ---You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any International or United States Federal law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless you own the copyright or you have written consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also forbidden on this forum.

--- End quote ---
(that is in the registration agreement)

KnightRavenseye:
Thank you for the orientation Ken!

I appreciate the addition of the Long Range boards!

-Mike

Bruiser:
The Accuweather forum peeps are good people.  I have been a member there (As Robb) since 2004.  I have been a member here since 06, just as not voracious in my posts :)

Thanks for the work put into this forum.

Regards,

Rob

saratogaWX:
A slight addendum to my orientation posting regarding forum registration:

Yes, we have TWO separate captcha instances (Google reCaptcha and a noCaptcha) to prevent spambots from autoregistration and flooding the forum with bogus postings.  Since we did that, very few miscreants have made it through the gauntlet to annoy the members.  We recommend using gmail or hotmail addresses .. due to the shared mail gateway used by our hoster, we sometimes end up on spam blacklists so comcast, sbcglobal, att, rr addresses may bounce the validation email (and so you can never complete the registration/activation process).

But.. the noCaptcha image rotation captcha has a couple of downsides:
1) it doesn't work well on iOS/Safari (can't move the controls easily) and
2) doesn't support folks with diminished visual acuity.  For that, send me a note (use the contact form at Saratoga-weather.org ) and I'll help with registration.

New registrations with the forum results in an email sent to your registered email address -- in that email, is a link for you to click and thereby validate the email address and activate your registration.  Be aware that sometimes that email "Welcome to WXforum.net" may get stuffed in your Junk/Spam folder, so look there additionally.  The email is sent immediately at the conclusion of the registration process on the forum.  At present, there is no other admin approval needed for new registrations, only self-validation of your email.

Best regards,
Ken

WeatherHost:

--- Quote from: saratogaWX on July 19, 2018, 04:28:11 PM --- We recommend using gmail or hotmail addresses ..

Best regards,
Ken

--- End quote ---

Not to steal your thunder, but I would never recommend G anything.  I use G products only very sparingly and only in cases where there is no option.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version