Author Topic: Huge influx of visitors  (Read 431 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Huge influx of visitors
« on: October 13, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »
I noted that i had a huge number , 113 visits from  someone in Mountain view Calif.  which led me right a way to investigate . Finding and tracking the Ip to someone in the Russian federation,  I think they were scanning and then trying to get into my site and then who knows where.  So   I went to HostMonster, my  web host and blocked the IP address.  right now problem solved.   

Found it interesting.  Yeah, I have too much free time on my hands

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Huge influx of visitors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 07:26:19 AM »
Google bots are out of Mountain View, CA....

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 08:31:44 AM »
Google bots are out of Mountain View, CA....
  True, but that is spoofing on this one,  it is 173.212.242.251   Germany    Bayern   Munich
Contabo GmbH   Not Available    

It isn't Google, what they do is with , they bounce..  anyway and they were actually using a lot of my bandwidth.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:25:43 AM »
Google has servers all around the world, unless you have a visit like periodically every 5 mins I wouldnt worry about it, 116 visits over several days is absolutely nothing. Google Bot visits my site about once every 15-20 mins

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
my concern is that it eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Offline jango

• Questions and Answers
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »
I have an website and I'm getting such visits as well, sometimes I block the Ips sometimes don't, but it seems it doesn't hurt to my website

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
i get 200+ hits like the below image every day. This is with China and Russia blocked. Otherwise it would be 300+. Don't think that many of these people are interested in the weather in Oklahoma. Been going on now for over a year. Wonder sometimes if it's even worth trying to run a website anymore....
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:26:44 PM by AWL »

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
Over the last 3 yrs I blocked 3 servers - one was pinging every 10s, and the other two for other reasons :D

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 10:09:02 PM »
Hi Folks,

I am attaching a copy of my current .htaccess file in .txt format for anyone to use. I offer this as is, no warranties or guarantees it will work with your site, etc. I respectfully suggest if you have not used or seen a file like this, please either don't use or read up on its use and functions before you implement it.

This file is NOT an all-inclusive fix, however.  I have the blocked IP's listed by country (I.E. - There are over 200 million listed IP's that are blocked in China alone,  etc.)

In addition to the blocked IP's, there is an extensive list of bots being blocked as well. I only allow Googlebot, Bingbot and Applebot onto my site. Most of the others are blocked.

Also blocked are wp-login.php (there must be a new kiddie script for this out in the wild, I have been getting hammered on this one lately), wlwmanifest.xml and xbfk.php. So, if you're using the Wordpress, you will need to delete this listing, so you can see and get into your site.

Two other cautions, these files are VERY picky with syntax. One extra space, or comma in the file, and you can block your entire website with the dreaded 500 Server Error, OR do what I did the when I first used one, I locked myself out of my own website. Now, talk about feeling like a fool asking your website provider to delete said file, so you can use it again.

The other issue is when you upload this file as is, and your site returns either a 403 Forbidden or 500 right off the bat, chances are your web hosts provider IP range is listed in the file and will need to be removed.

Hope this helps some folks,

John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 09:28:43 AM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

anything