Author Topic: Is Atlas a buy?  (Read 617 times)

Offline HighlandBurne

Is Atlas a buy?
« on: March 18, 2020, 06:22:37 PM »
My 5-in-1 monitor went out after two years of use.  I was considering redoing my whole system.  I am connected to the access which I think will work with the Atlas.  It seemed that there were a lot of problems with the Atlas in reviews where people thought that the 5-in-1 was actually better.  Does anyone know if they worked out the kinks, or is this a situation where only the people that really had problems posted review and it is a pretty safe to upgrade to the Atlas.  I would appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: Is Atlas a buy?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
First yes the access will work with the Atlas .

I like the Atlas but yes some of us have had problems with certain features . The UV sensor on mine and other read to low . But once again a ton of people haven't had any problems with the UV sensor on theirs .

I run both my old 5-1 and Atlas and I feel the Atlas has more accurate readings then the 5-1 for wind, temp , humidity .

I like the fact that you can use the wind adapter so you can have the main body lower on a pole and the wind part higher on the same pole . I haven't hooked mine up yet because of the weather but I will when it warms up . 

My biggest grip with the Atlas system is the display . You cannot use your 5-1 displays and the new Atlas display has no battery inside so if you unplug it or it loses power all the readings are gone . Why they didn't add a battery to it is beyond me . Also there is a " sleep feature " to have it go dim at night and go bright in the morning but I found out even when dimmed to much light come thru to have the display in my bedroom . But that's me I don't want any light at all in my bedroom .

All in all I'm probably 80% happy with the Atlas system I feel it could be better but for the price you can get one on sale with the display it's alot cheaper than you can find a comparable system with the same features .
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:56:09 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline HighlandBurne

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:05:32 PM »
Wait.   So if my power goes out I will lose all of the records for the year?   Like high/low/rain amounts?     That seems ridiculous.     Thanks for the detailed reply.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:07:04 PM »
Wait.   So if my power goes out I will lose all of the records for the year?   Like high/low/rain amounts?     That seems ridiculous.     Thanks for the detailed reply.

ON the display only not on your MyAcurite page or if your sending to WU not there .

Offline jjh92

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
Got my Atlas about a year ago, been working flawlessly.  No problems with the lightning sensor but the UV readings may be low.  Batteries lasted a year through a Minnesota winter.  Good wireless connection to the Access about 125' direct line of sight.  Love the remote anemometer mount for more accurate wind readings.

My install pics here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36585.0