Author Topic: UV at this time of year?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: UV at this time of year?
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 03:27:17 PM »
Fair enough. Although if UV is important to you, I would look into the difference between the Davis UV sensor and the Ecowitt UV sensor. I haven't checked lately but the last time I did, the Ecowitt UV sensor was more of a light sensor and not a true UV sensor. This may or may not be important to you.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 03:30:18 PM »
Fair enough. Although if UV is important to you, I would look into the difference between the Davis UV sensor and the Ecowitt UV sensor. I haven't checked lately but the last time I did, the Ecowitt UV sensor was more of a light sensor and not a true UV sensor. This may or may not be important to you.

As long as WD can read the uv from 1 to 8 for the UK, that's all in fussed about, uv is only really a guide, let's me know of its worth sunbathing lol
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2022, 07:24:33 AM »
Wahoo, my UV just registered 1.0, solar hit just over 480, thank god for that, I did tension the southern guy line earlier today, so that may have helped. I'm a happy camper again
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline petec2

• Glynsk, Connemara, Co.Galway, Ireland
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 12:28:57 PM »
Hi All
My VP2 is at 53N. I'd had an iss issue (supercap) helpfully sorted by some people on this site. UV is v low here in Ireland at this latitude in winter but I thought my UV sensor was knackered as in December it read zero and I hadn't really looked at it at this time of year. However, on bright days in last two weeks it has occasionally registered 1 and I have attached a year's worth of a record.
On looking back dec/jan at 53N in Ireland has v low  UV -and i have only really used the readings in summer for sun cream alerts (and they concur with other local sites). so if i was you i wouldn't alter the uv sensor for a month and see what transpires?
pete
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:19:28 PM by petec2 »

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2022, 08:00:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply, it looks like we both have similar uv readings then, certainly for the winter time...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline petec2

• Glynsk, Connemara, Co.Galway, Ireland
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2022, 12:19:23 PM »
Hi again. i got interested in the low UV in winter and it is down to the high angle of incidence of the incoming radiation. where i have my VP2 the solar radiation comes in at an incredibly low angle (high incidence) in december (on the image only 13 degrees at peak). by march 17th (St Patrick's Day) the angle of the sun has already reached 35 degrees at peak and by the (approx) time of the summer solstice the angle of the sun at 53N is 60 degrees. hence large difference in UV readings. (I've thrown this together- not a sci paper!)
pete

« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 12:21:20 PM by petec2 »

anything