Author Topic: WU (IBM) webcam uploads  (Read 1194 times)

Offline pokey6660

WU (IBM) webcam uploads
« on: September 10, 2020, 03:43:34 PM »
It would seem that the Weather Underground is slowly being absorbed by IBM. I have some issues with my setup when trying to upload my webcam images to WU using FTP. Unfortunately, FTP is an insecure protocol and http is not much better, even if WU did have it actually working, so in the long run if this ceases to be possible at all, it might actually be a good thing. I am using a cheap $35.00 Wyze camera with rtsp firmware and a Ubuntu box scripted to cron the screenshots from the live feed. I can host the webcam myself but in the interest of time and maintaining the beast, I went with https://www.windy.com, which grabs an image from my feed every hour and allows for time lapse, painlessly. I am still letting WU take my weather station data on the WU site, as that piece has been working without too many issues. For how long though, may depend on the corporate weather gods...

Offline rsun

• Richard Sun's Personal Website
Re: WU (IBM) webcam uploads
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2021, 09:03:23 PM »
Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

anything