Author Topic: Gas Prices  (Read 53757 times)

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
Re: Gas Prices
« Reply #1050 on: November 29, 2022, 08:30:50 AM »
... They don't pay a cent in gas tax, but they're darn heavy so are actually putting a disproportionate stress on the roads...

The whole push to EV is absurd beyond belief. There is literally no infrastructure in place to charge them if the % of EV's goes up any further. It's not about charging stations. It's about the electric grid that cant deal with it. Also, they better start building new nuclear power plants or this green-cretinism goes up in really thick smoke. And there is nothing green in mining lithium, copper etc. 

"A new report from the electricity and gas utility National Grid (which serves parts of New York and Massachusetts) found a rapid increase in electric vehicles on the city streets and highways will require upgraded power grids to handle all the new demand. By 2035, a charging station could demand as much power as a sports arena or small town. 

National Grid expects by 2035, large charging stations serving EVs, from SUVs and pickup trucks to delivery vans and semi-trucks, would require 19 megawatts of peak power -- that's approximately what a small town uses. In 2045, those large charging stations could demand upwards of 30 megawatts of capacity, with peak usage of a large manufacturing plant. "

Petrol and diesel are super dense energy carriers. EV batteries are not.
Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #1051 on: November 30, 2022, 03:23:50 PM »
Do more homework, and use sources that report facts instead of inventions.

"...According to new data released from the Energy Information Administration, our oil reserves stockpile is down to just 396 million barrels. The sharp drop, now down to its lowest level since April 1984, isn’t due to natural disasters, trade embargoes, or acts of God, but instead due to politics..."

"... This concerning reality could have been avoided if President Biden had prioritized American energy production, specifically of crude oil and natural gas. Instead, his administration has championed harmful oil and gas policies that have handcuffed the energy sector. He canceled the Keystone XL pipeline, halted new drilling on federal lands, implemented regulatory hurdles, and raised taxes on energy companies. "

edit: "...  oil production is far short of where it was prior to the pandemic. In 2019, the U.S. Energy Information Administration calculated that we produced roughly 12.3 million barrels per day, but in 2021, we produced roughly a million fewer barrels than that period.

Despite the ongoing energy crisis, and with gas prices beginning to creep back up to an average of $4 per gallon, this president is unwilling to encourage more oil from U.S. producers. The White House and Department of Energy signaled all options are on the table to stabilize prices and now they’re pivoting back to tapping the SPR again. In mid-October, the Biden administration announced it will withdraw another 15 million barrels over the next few weeks to lower prices before the midterm elections."

There hasn't been a refinery built in 20 years, so questionable if higher oil production could get refined faster for lower prices.  Hopefully the diesel shortage won't become nationwide.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #1052 on: November 30, 2022, 05:26:56 PM »
This is what happens when our beloved "POTUS" drains our SPR down to nothing. Brilliant.   :twisted:
This is likely a false assignment of causality.  The SPR releases try to mitigate some of the supply shortfall as a result of sanctions against Russia for the invasion of Ukraine, OPEC cutting production targets in the face of rising demand as the world resumes demand as the Covid pandemic/restrictions wane.  It’s not under direct control of a President or any one nation as it is a worldwide market.
Oh please... I've heard this drivel ad nauseam. We're in this crisis because this admin put us here...top to bottom. Is it all Joey's fault? No, but he damn sure makes it infinitely worse. All the "pundits" can spew this crap til the cows come home. I do my homework.

I would like to give you a Like. This S show is by far the worst in my 6+ decades.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1053 on: November 30, 2022, 05:37:47 PM »
Thanks. However, I don't think it's 6+ decades, it's in American history. Not even close. Thankfully, we took the House at least. Maybe they can help mitigate some of this insanity. IMO, very bad things will occur otherwise.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1054 on: November 30, 2022, 06:32:13 PM »
I'm sorry, but I can't even follow some of the previous posts, the logic just eludes me. The reality of the current world outside my door isn't obtuse, it's what it is, why are we determined to obfuscate the obvious! We're in big trouble, wake up and admit it!

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1055 on: December 01, 2022, 06:03:55 AM »
I'm sorry, but I can't even follow some of the previous posts, the logic just eludes me. The reality of the current world outside my door isn't obtuse, it's what it is, why are we determined to obfuscate the obvious! We're in big trouble, wake up and admit it!

Sun cooked nothingburger of climate change hysteria with a side order of peak-oil nonsense fries.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1056 on: December 01, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »
$2.55 this morning at Murphy's.

Offline Wxhound

« Reply #1057 on: December 03, 2022, 05:57:49 PM »
The real problem is that we are nearing the peak of world oil production if we have not already past it. 
I refer to this graph from Exxon Mobil (4th graph down):
https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/energy-and-innovation/outlook-for-energy/energy-supply
anything below the Tight Oil top line is used for transportation fuel.  There was a peak in 2019 and the next one is lower and around 2032.
How this will play out is anybody's guess but moving away from the uses of crude oil would be helpful.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1058 on: December 03, 2022, 06:23:19 PM »
Uh huh??? Seems I've been hearing this BS since 1970's. We're out of food, oil, water, air, everything but BS! Check back with me in 10 or 20 years and let me know how it's going with your battery powered toys!

Offline Wxhound

« Reply #1059 on: December 03, 2022, 07:21:42 PM »
Hey  It's from Exxon Mobil.  If you want to argue with them, I'll bring the popcorn!!!

Here's their chart from 2016.  The url is this: https://peakoilbarrel.com/opec-update-november-17-2022/#comment-749377 I could not find the original link and it appears that Exxon has deleted the older data.  You can see the "peak" that everyone was concerned about in 2005 as a Dark Green hump.
It shows the 2005 peak in **Conventional** oil production with an area in light green showing resource depletion.  I think this is the one you are referring to.  Again it is from Exxon Mobil.  Their latest shows a shift to 2032 for a peak in world oil production and a peak around 2019 with a resurgence of a "final peak" around 2032.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:32:31 PM by Wxhound »

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1060 on: December 03, 2022, 07:50:29 PM »
This would be the same stellar company that put a tanker on the rocks in Alaska? - yeah, I remember, that's when I cut up my Exxon CC.

Let me propose a little learning experience for any of you out there that buy into this claptrap. The next time you're near a book store, a big one (if there are any left?) go in and peruse the Positive Self Help section and see the vast selection of books on how to be positive etc. Then go to the Negative Self Help section of the store - - - and if you can't find it, there's a reason, there isn't one. Human nature exudes negativity, "I can't do it, I won't do it, we're going to die" etc, etc, etc. and that's why no one writes books on how to be negative and fail! You're buying into the oldest scam in history, it's easy to go negative, it takes character, strength and vision to go positive.

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1061 on: December 04, 2022, 05:03:27 AM »
The real problem is that we are nearing the peak of world oil production if we have not already past it. 

You cant possibly be serious. Never mind...

I posted a nice chart here, that shows how your petrol price got so high. It was removed by admin because it made current US administration look like clueless clowns and demonstrated clearly that war in Ukraine nor "peak oil nonsense" has nothing to do with it. It's just long list of stupid political decisions and virtue signalling.

What about oil in other countries?
First, US gets most of it's oil from Canada and Mexico.
Every ME country, US has attacked or is under their BS sanctions is a oil rich country with massive reserves. Only reason US invades those countries, is to keep their oil production to minimum and rob them of what ever they happen to produce (Syria, for example). It has nothing to do with importing "democracy", burgers and brown sugar water.

The US proxy war in Ukraine is just another example of this but with one exception - they are failing miserably because RU has 2 neighbours - India and China.

RU oil export had a awesome year. So is US. US is earning massive profits from gas and oil and the real losers in this game are EU and cannon fodder known as Ukraine. MIC is ecstatic and predicts massive profits for years to come because EU and US need new weapons.

But that's OK. Sky propellers and thousands of square kilometres of PV panels, while killing everything that lives on those lands, will make it all feel "green" and save the day.

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #1062 on: December 04, 2022, 09:52:27 AM »

You cant possibly be serious. Never mind...

I posted a nice chart here, that shows how your petrol price got so high. It was removed by admin because it made current US administration look like clueless clowns and demonstrated clearly that war in Ukraine nor "peak oil nonsense" has nothing to do with it. It's just long list of stupid political decisions and virtue signalling.

What about oil in other countries?
First, US gets most of it's oil from Canada and Mexico.
Every ME country, US has attacked or is under their BS sanctions is a oil rich country with massive reserves. Only reason US invades those countries, is to keep their oil production to minimum and rob them of what ever they happen to produce (Syria, for example). It has nothing to do with importing "democracy", burgers and brown sugar water.

The US proxy war in Ukraine is just another example of this but with one exception - they are failing miserably because RU has 2 neighbours - India and China.

RU oil export had a awesome year. So is US. US is earning massive profits from gas and oil and the real losers in this game are EU and cannon fodder known as Ukraine. MIC is ecstatic and predicts massive profits for years to come because EU and US need new weapons.

But that's OK. Sky propellers and thousands of square kilometres of PV panels, while killing everything that lives on those lands, will make it all feel "green" and save the day.

I remind you of what I'd PMed you about your post on 28-Jul-2022 when I removed it:
I removed your image post in "Gas Prices" as overtly political in nature.  The timeline it showed (with cited events) implied causation which was very misleading.  Gas (and many commodity prices) are not determined by political actions here, but are the result of global issues, many of which we have no control over.  To imply that it was all the administrations fault is not an accurate conclusion.

Please refrain from posting political commentary on the forum, even in Chit Chat .. we're weather enthusiasts.  Political speech has other online venues, just not this one.

It still applies.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1063 on: December 05, 2022, 04:06:00 AM »
The timeline it showed (with cited events) implied causation which was very misleading.  Gas (and many commodity prices) are not determined by political actions here, but are the result of global issues, many of which we have no control over.  To imply that it was all the administrations fault is not an accurate conclusion.

LOL Really? Based on US media muppets, president has no control over the gas and oil price except when it dips a bit and is useful to boost his falling ratings. LOL.  =D> Every single time. Yes, journalism is dead.

Chart shows a timeline of stupid political decisions and the petrol price. Political decisions, like cancelling the Keystone XL, halt on new oil and gas leases, joining the absolutely pointless Paris Climate Accord (again!), blocking investments to gas and oil sectors, reversing NEPA, moratorium in Cahco Canyon drilling and so on... the price keep on climbing. Up ~50% and RU has not even entered UA. This is all political, you like it or not.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1064 on: December 05, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »
Or, maybe those are carefully calculated decisions to cause exactly what is happening? Pouring sand into the gears of the great economy machine is guaranteed to produce results!

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1065 on: December 06, 2022, 03:00:59 AM »
$2.55 this morning at Murphy's.

$2.53 for the lowest price in Stillwater.  It too is a Murphy's.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #1066 on: December 15, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »
Woohoo!
Gas below $3 just about everywhere in the county. Lowest is 2.65.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #1067 on: December 15, 2022, 04:46:21 PM »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #1068 on: December 16, 2022, 08:30:06 AM »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1069 on: December 16, 2022, 02:34:52 PM »
City folks don't know what that means - - - and most every one inside the DC beltway are "city folks"?

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1070 on: December 19, 2022, 05:54:54 PM »
I was in Marble Falls today financing groceries? I saw a sign on the HWY for $2.24/gal - I paid $2.26 a can for soup. The road goes on forever and the party never ends?

Offline BaseLine

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: December 21, 2022, 10:44:02 AM »
Anyone notice a trend here...

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/501873_c7e616da2fda4678a1779c2e1d6e1326~mv2.png

Eating the seed corn...

Greg H.

U.S. crude stockpiles in SPR fell in latest week to lowest since dec 1983 - EIA

They are not just eating the seeds, they are salting the soil now.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
« Reply #1072 on: December 25, 2022, 02:47:04 AM »
Oh, no, gas at $2.55 at Murphy.  It was $2.35.

Offline stevebrtx

• Forecaster
    • Buchanan Dam Weather
« Reply #1073 on: December 25, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
Well, Merry Merry Christmas to one and all from the Texas Hill Country!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #1074 on: December 30, 2022, 06:15:01 PM »
Gas went way up here.
A 30 to 40 cent jump.
Thieves.  :roll:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll