Author Topic: Changed web password, now station shows as offline  (Read 751 times)

Offline weathereric

Changed web password, now station shows as offline
« on: July 18, 2019, 02:03:04 AM »
I changed my web password.  Also changed it in VWS but Wunderground says my station is offline.  New password has "special" characters.  Is that the problem?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Changed web password, now station shows as offline
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 05:03:40 AM »
There are two credential things with WU that are used for different things. You should not have changed the credentials in VWS.

Login Password: This is used to log in to the WU website on a browser or mobile app. This allows you to see your dashboard and manage your station IDs and Webcams. (also used for webcam FTP upload).

Station Key: This is used to upload data by your station hardware/software. This is what you enter into VWS, not your password. You get this key when you create your station ID. You can not change this key. You can see it when you log in to manage your station IDs under My Profile / My Devices.

Things to keep in mind:
  • You can not change the station key, unless you create a new ID and then you lose all history and start over.
  • If you have multiple stations then they each have their own upload key
  • You can not upload data using the WU password
  • Webcam FTP upload does use the WU password to upload photo still
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:37:12 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline weathereric

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 11:43:15 PM »
Thank you galfert for your clear description.  I will not soon forget about keys.  Station is back online.  BTW, the reason I changed VWS's password was that the station seemed to have gone offline coincident with my changing my web password.  Alas, that must have been dirt in the fuel line.

Are you up for helping me get my webcam (re)connected.  It worked solid for a year, then things seem to have gone south.  It's associated with my PWS, uses ftp to webcam.wunderground.com with my username and web password.  I continually get "incorrect username or password".

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:14:10 AM »
Both FTP webcam and URL webcam uploads are unreliable. It has been like this for quite some time. There is nothing to do but wait for WU to fix it or just give up on the whole thing.

See more info here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35402.0

and here:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36986.0

and here:
https://trello.com/b/qTvFtwYd/weather-underground-issues
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole