Author Topic: Help with finding new weather station in Gloucester  (Read 773 times)

Offline Ruminator

Help with finding new weather station in Gloucester
« on: April 20, 2021, 01:26:33 PM »
Hi. I'm just starting to look for a weather station for my home in Gloucester MA on the Annisquam River. I'm considering mounting it to my flagpole which is just inside a seawall and very exposed. First of all if there is anyone in the area already set up that would care to communicate and/or show me your station that would be great. Otherwise I'm hoping this is my first and last station, meaning I'd rather spend some extra bucks up front to get a system that will last a long time. Have internet in the house which is about 100 ft away from the flagpole. Nearly constant wind. Salt spray most probably. Noreasters blow right down the river. Do have power at seawall but seems solar would be the way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Help with finding new weather station in Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 02:47:36 PM »
There are several stations from the Gloucester area reporting on Weather Underground Gloucester, MA Weather Conditions | Weather Underground (wunderground.com) Click on the Change link to show the station location and names

Unfortunately Weather Underground no longer identifies the station type nor the owner contact information.  Unless someone here is from that area, or you recognize any of those locations, this will not be helpful to you.

I am not by the sea so have no direct experience, but have read the sea water and spray can be very hard on stations.  The Davis stations are well built and have a great reputation but component failures are being reported.  Somewhat helpful with this is a station that can be repaired or components replaced relatively easy, which includes the Davis VP2. 

Most station are wireless and that would be the way to go - wireless from outside sensors to inside console/data logger.  The outside sensor unit would be solar powered with a battery backup.  The receiving console/data logger can be wired to computer i.e. serial or USB, or WiFi to your router, depending on how you are looking to view, log and share your data.  Davis generally has the best distance reception.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »
Otherwise I'm hoping this is my first and last station, meaning I'd rather spend some extra bucks up front to get a system that will last a long time.
At the very least, with your severe conditions, I'd get this as my anemometer. $$$

http://www.youngusa.com/products/7/8.html

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:18:56 PM »
Unfortunately Weather Underground no longer identifies the station type nor the owner contact information.  Unless someone here is from that area, or you recognize any of those locations, this will not be helpful to you.
If you go to the station home page (on Wunderground) and click on the info icon after the station ID the pop up info box  gives you the station hardware & software (if the owner has listed it)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline Mandrake

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 12:24:12 PM »
Can I be honest here.....there are no stations Davis or Ecowitt/Ambient  (or other Fine Offset derivatives) including expensive commercial stations that will survive in your kind of environment without constant TLC and likely sensor replacements.

The conditions will be simply too harsh for sensitive electronics that need to be exposed to the ambient conditions to not be attacked by the salt laden conditions. Then you have mechanical issues with bearings that will seize and so on!

Anyone who promises you that their products will work without issues above are lying...
I don't want to put you off, but in such conditions you must really expect to be replacing components quite regularly and so at the very least buy a modular setup that allows a replacement regime without having to replace all of it!
G1ZFO

Ecowitt HP2551A + WH65 Tri-Wing (Wunderground: IGUILDFO67)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Wunderground: IGUILDFO68)
Ecowitt GW1000 (Mk2) test environment driving CumulusMX on a RPi 3b
Ecowitt GW2000 (Test)
Ecowitt WS90 Wittboy - Test
Ecowitt WH51 (x6) Soil Moisture Sensor
Ecowitt WH41 PM2.5 AQM Sensor
Ecowitt WH31 (x8) Thermo/Hygro Sensor
Ecowitt WS80 Ultrasonic Anemometer (pre-prod test)
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning Sensor -test
Ecowitt WH32-EP (SHT35) + Davis 7714 Screen
Ecowitt WH45 CO2/PM2.5/PM10 -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Soil Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN34 Water Temp Sensor -Test
Ecowitt WN35 Leaf Moisture

anything