Author Topic: Webcam FTP server status  (Read 17097 times)

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
Re: Webcam FTP server status
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
I have to comment that the information related to configuring a webcam is extremely vague and non-specific.  The user name needs to be specified, the port for FTP uploads would be nice, just to confirm we're all on the same page with that and any specifics regarding security/encryption would also be a big plus.  As it stands at the moment, none of that is mentioned and makes any troubleshooting a shot in the dark.  Hopefully, with time, that will improve.

Most of the users here are previous subscribers to the wunderground PWS/Webcam system. I think most of them know what their WU user ID and passwords are.

I agree that the FTP login information regarding WU is vague. What makes it even more frustrating is that servers are going up and down, and software/hardware/server updates are still undergoing modifications on WU's side...

Maybe once they nail this down, things will stabilize...

Offline jasonbopp

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »
What did you use for username and password to log into the FTP servers?

Jim
For username I use the Webcam ID from this page when logged in https://www.wunderground.com/member/devices and my WU password.

A WU team member posted at one time that they were reworking the handling of logins/passwords across the various products and I'm guessing that impacted the webcam ftp servers too.  Hopefully all that work is done now.  Many times in the last few months some webcam ftp servers have been down (not taking logins) but today, at least, they are all taking logins/images.  Only one uses them though  :-(

Unfortunately I am unable to upload my images using my webcam ID and WU password.  It keeps prompting for a different password.  Logging in to the main WU page works fine.

I also recently added a webcam, and it will not accept my camera ID and wunderground password.  I just get incorrect username/password message.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2019, 01:15:01 PM »
I just tried a ping of webcam.wunderground.com, 52.36.136.128, and it times out.  A tracert also fails.  So either the server(s) are offline or there's a router somewhere that lost a routing table.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
I just tried a ping of webcam.wunderground.com, 52.36.136.128, and it times out.  A tracert also fails.  So either the server(s) are offline or there's a router somewhere that lost a routing table.

Nope. It is not uncommon for ping and trace route to fail at the last leg if the administrator of the system chooses to drop those packets from being responded to. Trace route is like an advanced ping (both use ICMP).

My camera is uploading just fine*. The issue probably has to do with account setup/migration and/or synchronization of the database with the front facing login servers. Either you have to wait or they need to fix the issue.

Since working cameras are a relatively new thing on WU with the new site they probably don't have it all yet figured out.

* EDIT
Well I shouldn't say my cameras are working just fine. There are several failed attempts as depending on round robin routing I may end up on only one of the 3 working servers (which seems to change all the time which is working).
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:59:52 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »
Based on that, I'd speculate the front end isn't aware of what the back end is doing.  Lots of room with that one I'll leave alone though  :lol:

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
Based on that, I'd speculate the front end isn't aware of what the back end is doing.  Lots of room with that one I'll leave alone though  :lol:

You can easily test to see if an FTP server is up right from your browser.  In this instance enter ftp://52.36.136.128/ into the address bar and press [enter].  If the server is up you should (eventually) get a login prompt.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
And when i enter my ID ans password, it won't log you into anywhere..... ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2019, 02:47:22 PM »
 Like I said, apparently the front end doesn't know what the back end is doing   :lol:

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2019, 02:49:48 PM »
Like I said, apparently the front end doesn't know what the back end is doing   :lol:

They badly botched the "import" of user data into the new system; I suspect a very old backup was used.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
I've got a full "new" ID since the "upgrade" and still can't get an FTP going.  I created the new account after not being able to get into the old one after the "upgrade".  They must have used a backup from over five years ago or had major corruption issues when they did the restore to the new site.

I'll just let it percolate and hope that it starts working, magically, someday in the not too distant future.

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
They badly botched the "import" of user data into the new system; I suspect a very old backup was used.

To put an end to the 'suspecting' of things, let's just say there's clearly a problem here with FTP logins to webcam.wunderground.com, which I was just able to verify myself.  We'll investigate it and get it figured out.  Thank you.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2019, 05:36:08 PM »
Todd, while that's appreciated it's the weekend man.  Take the weekend off, unless it's part of your regular schedule.  Yeah, we may grouse, complain and whine, but we'll survive...trust me.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2019, 04:05:28 PM »
One more item that might be helpful when configuring a webcam is the maximum image size.  Given the way camera resolution has increased it would be good to know if the image has to have a lower resolution than 2MP or higher.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 04:24:13 PM »
How does WU know the difference between the FTP uploads if you have more than 1 camera?

They want the image name to be image.jpg....

I was able to log in using NO FTP username and just my WU password...... The login was successful but the actual image upload failed.....    ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)

Jim

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:27 PM »
How does WU know the difference between the FTP uploads if you have more than 1 camera?

They want the image name to be image.jpg....

I was able to log in using NO FTP username and just my WU password...... The login was successful but the actual image upload failed.....    ](*,)  ](*,)  ](*,)

Jim

WU knows which camera via FTP by the camera ID that is used as the username. Every camera has its own ID. The way it works in FTP is that every username has its own root folder. When you FTP a file that file ends up in that users root folder that is designated for FTP uploads. So there is no filename conflict if all the files are image.jpg as they all are in their own folder on the server.

The fact that your upload worked with no username is inconsequential. That just didn't accomplish anything. The server most likely discarded it.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 06:47:02 PM »
"The fact that your upload worked with no username is inconsequential. That just didn't accomplish anything. The server most likely discarded it"

The fact is if I use the camera ID supplied by WU, the FTP doesn't log in... If I leave the username blank, then the login works put actual FTP transfer fails...

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
Without the "user name", camera name in this case, you're trying to upload to the root of the directory structure which isn't going to work and, if it does, will never get read/posted.  I've tried logging in with no user name and that doesn't work either.  Like Todd said, they're aware of this and either are, or will be, addressing it.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 09:19:09 AM »
Now I have this picture that no camera is associated with the station.   looking at the setup, they have removed that box that allowed to associate.  that is the name insert no longer exists.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 06:48:12 AM »
Anyone seeing a connection start up?  Mine still fails at login.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 08:39:40 AM »
Anyone seeing a connection start up?  Mine still fails at login.

I haven't checked my upload process but I can tell from looking at the image that it's working.  I use Linux wput to upload every 5-minutes.  EDIT: I did notice, however, that the displayed image is 20-30 minutes behind.  Also, consider downloading and installing Fiddler (easy to use) or Wireshark (difficult to use) on your computer to watch your traffic to see if/where it's failing.  Fiddler may not work with FTP traffic.

https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/k/o/konz/1/current.jpg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 09:34:11 AM by konz »

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2019, 09:22:01 AM »
Here I've attached the last part of my log file.  I use the webcam.wunderground.com FTP location and as you can see from the log, it bounces around between the three IP addresses.  If anyone wants to know how to do this, I use VLC to spit out and overwrite an image and the ftp process to upload it.  This method gives you better insight into what's happening - don't know if you get the same logging from a direct webcam or D/NVR upload.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2019, 11:06:29 AM »
I have pretty much given up the idea of connecting the Bloomsky unit again to WU.  I would be surprised if it worked. Ideally, I should dig out one of my IP cameras and use that for a ftp setup, but I doubt it will work.  MEH.. it does accept the weather station data and that is fine with me.   BUt whatever they are doing to the Webcam FTP servdr, the kid needs to read the instruction manual.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2019, 11:25:04 AM »
I've tried every permutation of the ID and still can't log in.  I was hoping to see a comment from Todd.  Time to make some more popcorn.

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
Digging into this issue and have tentatively found what's going on.  We'll be fixing it up, might take a bit, but giving this one some priority.  Thanks.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
WEBCAM issues...

TL/DNR - working on it, URL cams should be slow to approve, but will work. FTP is going to remain a challenge until we can implement some fixes

Sorry about the cam issues folks, we are seeing problems on 2 fronts.
1) password corruption. As many know, we moved to a new login system, by design this doesn't talk back to the webcams, we are working on a solution, and have a framework for a solution. We will begin working on implementation next week, new WU accounts will not work until a full solution is realized, older wu accounts will be fixed sooner
2) URL cams, again and issue with the new signup not talking to the old correctly. These can be fixed relatively easily and we will go through the list periodically to make sure your URL cams work, you will see slightly longer delays in approval

Reasons,
As i have stated many times, the legacy systems of WU are falling apart, they are over 20 years old in many cases, and sheer volume of cruft that has accumulated is staggering. Rather than let things fall apart completely, sometimes we need to get updates out before they are 100% tested. This was one of those cases, although to be fair to you, the webcam portion was not well tested due to our focus on PWS data. While I wish we could have tested more, and wish these issues hadn't cropped up, sometimes to move quickly we need to break things slightly. We will work to get this fixed expediently and hope the impact to your lives is minimal

-tim

anything