Author Topic: Need help setting up my webcam on weather underground  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Daughn

Need help setting up my webcam on weather underground
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:51:07 PM »
I have been trying for 2 weeks to get my weather camera uploaded to Wunderground but keep running into problems, especially when I run the ftp.  Could someone help me?  My camera is an Amcrest 8-Megapixel PoE Outdoor one. I got my camera to show on my devices on Wunderground, but couldn't complete the process.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
Re: Need help setting up my webcam on weather underground
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:33:31 AM »
What software are you using to upload to WU?

Offline mstan

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
I'm having the same issue. My Cam ID is accepted but my Cam Password is getting rejected even with filezilla.

Offline CKayaks

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:52:51 AM »
If it is any consolation, you are not alone. Do a quick search of the forums and you will find many posts about the WU webcam problems. Do not count on any quick resolution.

Here is a message I sent into two support contacts at WU this last week. No answer from either of them.

"I have tried connecting to the WU FTP for the PWS webcam several different ways but I am unable to successfully connect.

PWS:  KMTSTEVE24
Webcam ID: wu-xxxCAM3
(Also tried all the following with wu-xxxCAM1. Deleted and created a new webcam to see if that would help, hence CAM3.)

Log-ons attempted from…
•   Reolink IP camera FTP setup
•   IPTimelapse
•   FileZilla

FTP links tried:
•   webcam.wunderground.com
•   ftp:// webcam.wunderground.com
•   ftp://52.36.136.128/

Camera ID and password (key) were copy/pasted directly from the WU webcam page or from versions put into a text editor (Notepad). Port 21 where requested. Tried both lower and upper case on the “wu-“ part of the ID.

I mostly get log-on credential failures. The attachment shows the most rebust dialog from the three apps I have used. With the Riolink, I would occasionally get an error stating something like “unable to create file structure” but those were rare. Did not see that with IPTimelapse or FileZilla. Both those apps only showed credential errors.

IPTimelapse support suggested reducing the file size as the camera is 5MP. Upload attempts were generally in the 550Kb to 2Mb range, with most of the latter testing using images under 900Kb. I also tried just uploading “thumbnail” images from IPTimelapse but do not have the file size for those.

I have successfully connected the camera to another service (webcam.io) so it does not seem to be an issue with this particular hardware or my ISP.

Any direction to resolve this would be appreciated. "
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Ecowitt 3501 | Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge/WeatherBridge
AmbientWeather.net
PWSweather: KMTSTEVE24
https://casskalinski.slickpic.com

Offline ixlr8

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
I'm having the same issue. My Cam ID is accepted but my Cam Password is getting rejected even with filezilla.
Same issue here, can't connect. I tried to login using FileZilla and had the same issue. WU accepted my Username but rejected my Password, even though I copied/pasted the password that WU gave me. Sad that IBM appears to not be supporting WU any more.

Offline weatherman172

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 12:46:33 AM »
Is everyone else in agreement that WU appears to have abandoned Web Cam capability, even though they said they weren't going to in 2017?  Has anyone found a software that would grab the FTP image and post it to a personal weather web site?

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2021, 07:01:55 AM »
Is everyone else in agreement that WU appears to have abandoned Web Cam capability, even though they said they weren't going to in 2017?  Has anyone found a software that would grab the FTP image and post it to a personal weather web site?

IPTimelapse will FTP to a personal web site, I have been doing it for some time now with No problems at all.
I currently post 2 images to my site https://lakehuronweather.org/wxWebCam.php

CW3699

Offline Daali

• weather n00b
  • Senior Contributor
    • The weather in Jefferson, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 10:25:26 AM »
Agreed.  IPTimelapse is the best

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
I have been using IPtimelapse for over a year now with my Logitech C920 Pro and works well and updates every minute.  However the quality is not that good except for the first few minutes in the morning
www.komokaweather.com/pictures/sebec/image.jpg

I've tried many settings even with Mike's advice but not good except for early in the morning.  The camera is pointed through a window looking west.

However, viewing the camera through Windows Camera App and the quality from it is excellent.  But don't think there is a way to upload or save directly from this.

Offline rsun

• Richard Sun's Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »
Webcam hosting service is discontinued effective October 21, 2021
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.
Weather Underground will discontinue the webcam hosting service effective October 21, 2021 in order to better focus on the core products that make Weather Underground one of the best destinations for weather enthusiasts. Webcam data will be deleted from our servers on or after this date.

We have spent significant time and energy to update our forecasts and Personal Weather Station (PWS) Network over the past several years. When we looked at taking a similar path forward for the webcams, it became clear that an upgrade to modern technologies would be incompatible with many of the cameras currently using our platform. We decided that the investment required to start the network over from scratch would not be viable. Our efforts will instead focus on the performance, stability, and vitality of our core offerings. Please rest assured that the PWS Network remains a core piece of Weather Underground.

Thank you for your support.

anything