Weather Station Hardware > Weather Web Cams

Status of HikVision DS-2CD2032-I cameras

(1/3) > >>

DaleReid:
I know, a lot of water under the  bridge since these units were the hot thing to have.
I still have two, one which is OK and seems to function just fine, and another that while supposedly is OK, thinks I have the wrong password, and to reset it I'd have to get some scaffolding to get up there with my arthritis preventing a ladder ascent now.

I'm wondering if those who used to use these cameras are still doing so?

Is the myth that they all had backdoors in them and were considered a security risk, just that, a myth?

Oh, is there a way to 'easily' reset the password on my one camera?   There used to be some program you could run to reset it if I recall, but attempts at locating it on my computer or the correct key words on Google to search elude me know.

Just wondering, since both cameras are mounted in good spots and give nice images (when I accessed them last) or the current one which still is working OK.
Thanks for any comments.  Dale

Cutty Sark Sailor:
Let's see if I remember this process.... takes it back to 'factory default password'...
1. Remove the power.
2. Press and hold the reset button. Keep holding it,.... don't release...
3. Reconnect power. Keep holding the reset button... grow a third hand if you need to..heh
4. After about 30 ceconds, release the reset....
Keep the power on ... don't kill power before it reboots.
When reboots, should be back at the factory defaul admin password. I think,... if I remember it correctly...

Only issues I've had have been with water in net connector, and repairing those a couple of times.  I did accidentlally 'brick one'... don't remember what I did, think I wired it wrong... but it makes a good paperweight...heh...,
Have two with 'repaired' cable connectors, and one still in the box, new, as backup for the three in use... BTW... the three old Logitech c910 Pros from years ago, mounted outside still perking along... someday I'll take 'em down and cklean 'em real good'... heh. Images are a bit degraded after a buncha years..

gwwilk:
I had an issue with one of my HikVision cameras repeatedly going offline.  I replaced the wall-wart power supply and that solved this very irritating recurring issue.

Otis:

--- Quote from: DaleReid on December 22, 2019, 08:47:59 PM ---
I'm wondering if those who used to use these cameras are still doing so?

Is the myth that they all had backdoors in them and were considered a security risk, just that, a myth?

Oh, is there a way to 'easily' reset the password on my one camera?   There used to be some program you could run to reset it if I recall, but attempts at locating it on my computer or the correct key words on Google to search elude me know.

--- End quote ---

Yes I still have several of these cameras running and I too have had password problems.

First - Yes I believe the older firmware versions had a backdoor issue with the cameras.
Second - As a couple of my cameras have been "hacked" and results in password problems.  After reading information on another site (IP CAM Talk) I was able to reset the camera passwords and all has been fine.

What I did was use the user name of "admin" and then tried the following passwords - 1111aaaa OR asdf1234.  The second one is the one that has worked for me.

I hope this helps, good luck.

DaleReid:
Jerry, the wall wart problem extended to a Rainwise Oracle III display I had, so even though the run cool, those cheap switching supplies are an annoyance in not failing outright but just getting lower voltage or such output, which are hard to test under no load.

A friend of mine (now celebrating his 91st birthday) fixed old TVs (you know the ones with tubes and all) with his dad when he was a kid and into the time when tube sets were finally eliminated) along with rebuilding classic (Collins, and other higher end ham gear) radios. 

His wife, patient wise soul, always could hear some frustration when things didn't work and would go by the shop and say, "First, check the fuse..."

It was amazing as to how often that sage advice for even an experienced troubleshooter (one hand in the pocket when reaching into a TV) needed reminding of the basics.

As to the HIK camera itself, I don't think it is the power supply (yet).  I recalled that the Sea Monkey browser would read some older Java files, and linked to the camera with that.  It displayed a picture!  And in the right lower corner in big block letters the word HACKED was superimposed on the screen.

Paul, with your clue, when I get to the Sea Monkey computer I'll try those two passwords.
Almost all the other resets require sending a file to HIK and getting a file back to load into the camera to reset it.

I don't know if they even do that anymore, and that's why I was hoping to find the kludge that allowed one to reset the camera from within the firewall (somewhat safer I guess) so when they discontinue support or go out of business, we'd not be left high and dry.

Thx for the info so far, and I appreciate keeping these old rigs going

Oh, Mike, if you are in the area and wish to clamor up into my garage rafters to reach the plug in for the camera power supply while I dangle from the roof to try to hold the little reset button in, I'm game for that!  Now that you related your pretty good memory of how to do it, I think I read that in the manual at one time and know a lot of disconnecting would be necessary to do the hard, physical reset.

Dale

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version