Author Topic: 10 day forecast doesn't load while logged in (Fixed by WU)  (Read 4502 times)

Offline rpegg

10 day forecast doesn't load while logged in (Fixed by WU)
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
Appreciate the recent progress on PWS and forecast pages.

The 10 day and several other pages will not load properly if I am logged in for advertisement free use.   These same pages load immediately if I log out.   Of course the gazillion ads also load.   I can log in and log out repeatedly and data appears and disappears.

I have tried Chrome and Microsoft Edge with identical results.    Mostly blank data or failure to load a complete page.   Happens on a bunch of pages.   Here is one, https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/wv/davis/39.07%2C-79.39?cm_ven=localwx_10day [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 03:44:21 PM by rpegg »

Offline rpegg

Re: 10 day forecast doesn't load while logged in
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »
BTW: Desktop use with Windows 10

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
That link you posted worked for me and I got the 10 Day forecast. I can also see the 10 day forecast for other stations. I am logged in. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. Try a different computer with your account. Try incognito mode in Chrome or private mode in Edge. Try clearing browser cache.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:58 AM »
Works as it should a charm with Chrome and Firefox on my MAC
I am logged in into WU, no ADDS, and forecast appears correctly.

Maybe try a different computer, just to see if there is something in the cache which causes this?

Wim

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 10:45:54 AM »
I see precisely this. I thought it was some URL I wasn't allowing the system to get to, but I've turned off AdBlock, and it still happens. Curiously, it doesn't happen all the time. For a given 10-day forecast, this incomplete page (exactly as you show) comes up about half the time. The other half the time, it works fine. I see this both on Chrome and Firefox on a Mac. Cache clearing doesn't seem to affect it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 10:47:53 AM by danxx »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 10:50:14 AM »
I think this 10 day forecast is still part of the old WU. Not certain. Anyway one thing that I remember from the old WU is that you needed to be patient and let the page fully load before attempting to scroll down too soon. Otherwise if you scroll before the page finished loading you got an incomplete page often and no amount of further waiting will make the missing parts show. All you could do then is refresh and don't touch it! Wait for full load. I don't know if this is the issue here or not but I thought this might be worth mentioning.
Tele-Pole

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:07:05 AM »
No, it's not about full load. You get this incomplete page, and everything just stops. You can let it sit for minutes after that, and a complete page isn't going to happen. WU 10-day has just decided that it's done. Take that! You reload, and the same thing happens. But as I say, this incomplete page business happens about half the time. Never seen any correlation with page load success with anything else.

I never used to see this, and this incomplete page business has been showing up for at least the last month or two.

Actually, the log in/out business seems to have some effect. When I'm logged in, and get an incomplete 10-day page, and then log out, BOOM! the 10-day is displayed just fine. Some evidence that in order to confidently get a 10-day forecast, I shouldn't be logged in.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 11:13:40 AM by danxx »

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 11:41:44 AM »
I've had a similar problem.  No 10 day forecast loads most of the time.  Once in a while I get lucky and it does.  I'm using Windoohs 10 with Opera and have tried Sludge (Edge) as well with the same results.  I just went to check and, apparently, wunderground.com is down at the moment.  Maybe some major fixes will be there when it comes back up again.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
Wow. On looking at it more carefully, the problem (for me at least) is STRONGLY correlated with whether I am logged in. If I'm logged out, and call up a 10-day, it comes up fine. While I'm there, I log in, and the page automatically tries to refresh and ... incomplete page. I log out, and the page automatically tries to refresh and it comes right up. Over and over and over .... that's what happens. I guess WU doesn't want me to log in! Bizzaro.

Offline rpegg

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
That link you posted worked for me and I got the 10 Day forecast. I can also see the 10 day forecast for other stations. I am logged in. I'm using Chrome on Windows 10. Try a different computer with your account. Try incognito mode in Chrome or private mode in Edge. Try clearing browser cache.

Just tried an older Desktop with Windows 10 that has never browsed to Weather Underground.   Tried Microsoft Edge in Private mode.   Logged out, it works just fine (with ads).   Logged in, it fails to load the complete 10 day page.   Some other pages do not load either.   Waited 5 minutes and it still loads no further.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
So many of these issues seem to be browser dependent. I have been using Firefox and 99% of the time both old and new interfaces work without issues. I do not get any ads either logged in or logged out. I do run AdBlockPlus.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:11:50 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 02:12:42 PM »
No evidence of that. Most of my log in/log out tests were done with Firefox. But it seems to do the same thing with Chrome.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
No evidence of that. Most of my log in/log out tests were done with Firefox. But it seems to do the same thing with Chrome.
Then how can my results be explained. If it is not a browser issue. I don't monitor my weather page all day but I do check it 4-5 times a day without issues. I do realize that WU has their problems but for the most part I have been consistent in viewing data on both the old and new pages without any of the issues that so many others have had. I have had issues in IE11, Edge and Chrome.
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/grass-valley/KCAGRASS150
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:26:35 PM by Weatheroger »

Offline rpegg

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 02:29:28 PM »
It's fine for a company to have issues with a particular browser.   But some of us would just move and find another weather resource if it only worked in one browser.   I tested in Chrome, Chromium, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.

Obviously I don't know what the issue is which is why I did not propose a solution other than to say that being logging out works.   Clearing my cache didn't.   Just tried Firefox and it didn't work either.

Three of us have reported the same issue this afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 02:38:50 PM by rpegg »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 02:57:00 PM »
Problem Found: It is WU user account related

I just finished a remote connection to rpegg's computer. I logged him off WU. Then I logged in to WU with my account using his computer. As I suspected it works every time with my WU account on his computer, but never with his WU user account. We checked a couple different 10 day forecasts including his own and it loaded first time and every time after with reloads.

So the issue is 100% WU user account related. This means that WU still has account migration issues. The computer and browser and cache are not the problem.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 03:04:35 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline rpegg

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 03:03:59 PM »
Thanks for the effort tracking down this issue.  Hopefully it will make it on the todo list for WU Support.   I don't expect a quick change but will report back if/when the issue is fixed.

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2019, 03:37:15 PM »
Excellent, and pretty much what I was figuring.

I'm thinking that it may be that if WU knows who you are, there is more incentive to do behavior logging and tracking, involving advertising websites that don't actually post any ads. To the extent that one of those websites is choking, it could throttle the WU display. Then again, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that some accounts work, and some accounts don't, which would suggest that WU is doing that logging and tracking differently for different people.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2019, 04:08:33 PM »
Excellent, and pretty much what I was figuring.

I'm thinking that it may be that if WU knows who you are, there is more incentive to do behavior logging and tracking, involving advertising websites that don't actually post any ads. To the extent that one of those websites is choking, it could throttle the WU display. Then again, if I understand correctly, what you're saying is that some accounts work, and some accounts don't, which would suggest that WU is doing that logging and tracking differently for different people.

Well there is a little too much conspiracy there for me.  :roll:  I don't think it is that involved. I think it is account migration issues (password corruption) and/or problems with new accounts. WU has already mentioned this is an issue with regards to webcams. Therefore it wasn't that hard for me to deduce that these account issues were causing more than just webcam problems. This link below is where WU just yesterday mentioned all this:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35402.msg377669#msg377669
Tele-Pole

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
As you like. But having an account misfire that doesn't allow talking to webcams is a little different than not being able to talk to the 10-day forecast module. Not clear why that module should need identification to enter or crater when the ID is faulty. It's not a physical box.

It is my impression that, when I'm watching the 10-day forecast load up when I am logged in, my browser is reaching out to lots more non-WU sites than when I am logged out. My point is that when I *am* logged in, WU tries to do a lot more than when I *am not* logged in, and I'm guessing that one of the things it is trying to do is getting denied.

But again, sometimes it works when I'm logged in, and sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't make a lot of sense. But I'm just going to run WU without being logged in. I don't have important stuff saved. I have a separate bookmark for each WU function that I want to exercise.

Offline rpegg

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2019, 05:30:59 PM »

I think it is account migration issues (password corruption) and/or problems with new accounts. WU has already mentioned this is an issue with regards to webcams. Therefore it wasn't that hard for me to deduce that these account issues were causing more than just webcam problems. This link below is where WU just yesterday mentioned all this:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35402.msg377669#msg377669

Interesting thread link.   Guess I got lucky with the FTP webcam issue.   Said the URL cams would be fixed before the FTP cams.  My FTP cam was down earlier this year, as was most everyone's, but has been working just fine for weeks.

Offline AL Estep

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:18 PM »
I also have the same issue with the 10 day forecast loading. I have tried three different machines with Android O/S, Win 7 O/S and Win 10 O/S and get the same results on all of them. If I log out from my account I see the correct data, log in with my account and I see the page displayed but with no data it is blank.

I addition when using the WU app on the Android machine I see my weather station has been changed to the Air Force Academy station. KCOBLACK2 is my weather station and it is 13 miles from  the Academy.

Edit: I just refreshed the page on my WIN 10 machine and the data is there now along with my favorites, while I am logged into the site with my account.  I think Todd has come up with a fix for now.
25 Apr 2019 16:56 MDT

Refreshed the page again and this time no data??????
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:59:30 PM by AL Estep »
Al Estep
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
Firefox browser 102.0.1
VWS  version 14.01.P45
Elevation 7483 ft
KCOBLACK2

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »
Not clear why that module should need identification to enter or crater when the ID is faulty. It's not a physical box.

That module cares if you are logged in or not because it changes the page layout. It isn't just whether ads load or not. The layout is different in terms of size and placement. Also your account settings and favorites load up.

It is my impression that, when I'm watching the 10-day forecast load up when I am logged in, my browser is reaching out to lots more non-WU sites than when I am logged out. My point is that when I *am* logged in, WU tries to do a lot more than when I *am not* logged in, and I'm guessing that one of the things it is trying to do is getting denied.

Yep like loading up your account preferences. But if you are curious you can compare logged in versus logged out with packet sniffer like Wireshark.

But again, sometimes it works when I'm logged in, and sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
Maybe there are different servers and depending on which one you hit that time it works or doesn't because some servers are okay and synced up and some aren't. This happens with the webcams all the time.

Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
Todd is reading this thread now! Give us the scoop please. What is going on?

EDIT: Saw you composing a reply but didn't post. What happened?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:16:00 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WunderTodd (PWS PM)

• Here to listen
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »
We're looking at some 10-day related things and will check on the login correlation.

Todd is reading this thread now! Give us the scoop please. What is going on?

EDIT: Saw you composing a reply but didn't post. What happened?

It's an office, stuff comes up.  I think we 'know' each other well enough now for me to say 'chill, bruh'.  [tup]

Offline danxx

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 06:33:45 PM »
Hey Todd, so I'll henceforth be using WU without logging in, and denying WU some handy behavioral marketing info. If you want us to tell you what we're doing, best not to punish us for doing so. Chill, bruh!

anything