Author Topic: Data logger without weatherlink  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Fuzzy

• Cold Hardy Palms in Poland
Data logger without weatherlink
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:39:15 AM »
J have VP2 and would like to have data logger, but J don`t need weatherlink

J found that J can buy only data logger

is it enough to buy cable mini USB/USB and data logger is ready to use like on photo??

J want use VWS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:16:18 AM by Fuzzy »
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
Re: Data logger without weatherlink
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:41:50 AM »
you will need the data logger (comes with weather link) and not just the mini USB cable
also I think J should be I ?
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:48:56 AM »
J know that J need data logger, but J prefere only data logger without weatherlink.

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

on this manual, page 6 is picture with data logger USB mini and cable, thats all, instead weatherlink J would like to use VWS.

What for J must pay for weatherlink if J don`t need it. J can buy only logger
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 05:14:37 AM »
Yes you buy the datalogger, you get weatherlink for free, what's the problem?

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »
Problem is the price. :)

In Poland data logger with weatherlink cost about 400$, but only data logger J can buy for 55$, but J`m not sure if J buy logger (from photo) and cable (mini USB/USB) without weatherlink it will be work.

thats all J ask
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »
Well if you ask me, I wouldn't touch a USB logger anyway but that's beside the point, it defies logic that Weatherlink software is 350$

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »
Sory my mistake

USB logger with weatherlink cost 250$, IP 400$, but still is big diffrence, only logger 50$
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 06:55:10 AM »
Sory my mistake

USB logger with weatherlink cost 250$, IP 400$, but still is big diffrence, only logger 50$

Maybe something's getting lost in the translation.  If dataloggers with no software were only $50, they'd be selling like hotcakes over here.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:07:17 AM »
NO, nobody knows that logger without weatherlink can run. This logger for 50$ is selling as spare part in case when first logger is out of order and it is without cable (mini USB/USB). Thats why is my question.
May J buy this logger and cable and use it on VWS software?
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
Weatherlink software is not needed to use the logger.  PLease post a link to a logger for only 50 dollars.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 09:14:13 AM »
To my knowledge the logger never ever has been packaged or sold without the WL software - the only way of buying the official 6510 logger is in a 6510 pack, complete with (free) software. So whatever it is that you're thinking is a $50 logger, it certainly isn't an official new Davis part. Maybe it's on eBay or a similar auction site?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 11:07:25 AM »
Well if you ask me, I wouldn't touch a USB logger anyway but that's beside the point, it defies logic that Weatherlink software is 350$
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the USB data logger?
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
The data logger will work without the WL software.      But you may have problems to configure the com ports for the USB function if you do ot use WL to configuer the com ports.

Read page 15 of the WL manual

http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/manuals/07395-210_GSG_06510_6555.pdf

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:22:40 PM »
Johnd

This is a normal shop which selling davis weather station. They sell stations, logers, parts. This is not ebay. They sell this loger not as a loger but as a spare part for loger.
Problem is that J can't buy such cabel mini usb/usb. J asked in very many internet shops.
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:26:48 PM »
You can get a USB to mini just about anywhere.  They are used for many digital cameras for instance.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline K3JAE

• Contributor
  • Davis VP2 Wireless
    • K3JAE's Weather Station
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
You might be interested in the following FORUM discussion:

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=12432.0

This is a privately made dongle that requires no WeatherLink software (which is actually free software) and is an "aftermarket" item. Sounds like this is what you may be after.

It is not the Davis' dongle, which costs a small fortune and the only thing it does not do is store information when not online... which is fine by me.

I am proud to say I am one of the lucky few to get in on this item during Beta testing and must say I am extremely pleased with it's performance.

73's de K3JAE

John
K3JAE Weather Station

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I think the author of this thread mistakingly thought that you only needed to use the mini USB cable....
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »
No offense intended but everytime I have downloaded the WL software it looks for the WL it is updating... Am I getting too old and missed that can you get for free?

Offline AridZona

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »
I think the author of this thread mistakingly thought that you only needed to use the mini USB cable....
The way I interpreted it, he is able to buy the data logger as a spare from a shop for $50, but can't find the mini-USB to USB cable which connects it to the computer.

The answer to the original question (if I understand it correctly), is yes - if you can find the right cable to connect from the datalogger to your computer, you can use it that way without the Weatherlink software.  There are many other software packages which make use of the datalogger connection.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:00:35 AM by AridZona »

Mac
Davis 6153 VP2 w/FARS | LWC 2.10

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:34 AM »
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the USB data logger?

Wrong? Nothing ... when they work .... but certainly can not be compared for reliability and availability to something like the serial logger whihc is basically bullet proof.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2011, 01:32:33 AM »
No offense intended but everytime I have downloaded the WL software it looks for the WL it is updating... Am I getting too old and missed that can you get for free?

That would be the Upgrade and yes that free to download.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2011, 02:23:18 AM »
Johnd

This is a normal shop which selling davis weather station. They sell stations, logers, parts. This is not ebay. They sell this loger not as a loger but as a spare part for logger. Problem is that J can't buy such cabel mini usb/usb. J asked in very many internet shops.

This seems awful fishy...  There is one...  ONE part to the Davis logger.  It is a sealed and potted non-repairable device.  My computers on the other hand have many replacable components, and there are plenty of discount replacement parts available.  The interface/logger isn't a spare or replacement component in a system, IT IS the system. I would imagine that Davis takes the old ones back under warranty conditions, and since it would be too easy to resell (like it seems here) I can't imagine them as "spares."  This was a Davis dealer selling these?  A "spare part" for 1/3 the price the part itself is the only part?  I see huge resale potential opportunity by buying them for 1/3 and selling them for 2/3 of retail.

It is quite clear (well, to me anyway) that when you buy "Davis WeatherLink USB 6510" you are buying an interface/data-logger that "links" your "weather" station to a computer via "USB" (and it comes with their software).  When you buy "Davis WeatherLink SERIAL" you are buying an interface/data-logger that "links" your "weather" station to a computer via "SERIAL" (and it comes with the same software).  They put THEIR software in the box, because YOU NEED SOME SOFTWARE and a lot of people expect that a company like Davis WOULD PROVIDE SOME SOFTWARE.)  Since the WeatherLink software only works with Davis loggers (to my knowledge) then there is no concern about piracy, because you have to purchase their logger if you want to use it.  I have not met anyone who ever said "gee, I have this great copy of WL, so I'd better buy their logger."  No, just like you, they want to use BETTER software, but still need to buy the Davis logger to connect to the Davis console. (I should mention that it COMES with their software, included in the box)

Many people have purchased WL-USB (which has a software CD in the box, I should mention) and later decided they need the Serial version instead.  They buy the serial version (and it comes with another copy of the software in the box.)  There is no credit for already having the software, because the software isn't what you buy, it's the INTERFACE (and it comes with software).  I have purchased probably 20 or more digital cameras for myself, family and friends, and the first thing I do is THROW AWAY the CDs for the crappy OEM software that come with the camera, because you don't need it, and there is better image management sw out there.  None of the camera mfgs offer a "without software" version for a discount, and you can't buy a "spare-part replacement" camera (without the software and cable) for 1/3 of retail.

As for mini-USB cables, really?  You can't find them at any computer shop?  I must have a dozen of them around here from phones, cameras, usb-hubs, portable drives, and extras I have picked up at shops going out of business.  Even a short mini-usb cable for a camera with a conventional "A" connector on the PC end can be plugged into an A-to-A extension cable. The one currently connected to my logger came from my spare-cable box, because it is light gray and matches my walls better than the black one that came with it.  I'd send you one, but it's a lot of postage to Poland.

fishy fishy fishy...

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:43 AM »
ah said the blind mine, I did have it backwards then
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 03:04:45 AM »
and I see nobody answered part of the original question "will it run with VWS instead". Never used it so I can't answer. ;)

Offline Fuzzy

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 05:31:51 AM »
OK. J found some parts which should fit it

http://allegro.pl/adapter-przejsciowka-usb-typ-a-usb-mini-i1876252507.html

but when J start VWS and show that J will use VP2, software say "you must start weatherlink", so J think that in VWS logger will not be workwithout weatherlink, maybe another software don`t need WL
www.bestpalm.pl
Dzierżoniów Poland