Author Topic: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page  (Read 16978 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: Our wxforum WU community - turning the page
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2019, 03:53:38 PM »
I always used to read Jeff Masters blog on WU.
Then in the summer of 2012 he posted in his blog about how the site had out grown them and they were selling out to TWC. He promised how nothing would change and the new backing of TWC would make things even better.
I knew right then it was the beginning of the end. The original WU was successful because it was run by weather weenies like us. They gave a dam about the product. When corporations take over all that goes by the way side.
They weren't in it for the money. They were in it because of their passion.
I don't know if there will ever be another site like WU but their death started in 2012. What we see today is the continuing slow death of a once great organization.

My personal opinion, it the sale to TWC was done largely because the revenue sources to fund WU were drying up v.s. the Weather Company's revenue sources.
WU was using Ad revenue and sale of custom weather products to newspapers (and others), but that couldn't quite cover the costs of infrastructure and staff sustainably given the competition by Intellecast, Accuweather and TWC who had similar revenue sources.
WU's offer of 'paid subscriptions' gift to PWS data submitters cut Ad revenues by removing ads from weatherunderground for logged-in PWS oners (cutting back some potential revenue).  Likewise, the commercial sales of custom forecast pages to newspapers was declining as newspapers themselves declined in physical-print subscribers.  Those, and an increasing cost of the aging infrastructure behind WU likely meant that a 'white knight' was needed to inject funding to continue .. At first, TWC was viewed as that white-knight.  TWC, like any corporation acquiring a pre-built functionality, wanted to streamline and port the WU functions to their existing Cloud-based infrastructure.  The problem was likely that the WU architecture wasn't either easily ported (due to older non/cloud technologies), nor deeply understood by TWC's developers (which I imagine have split into front-end/back-end/data assimilation/API generation groups, as contrasted with the small, integrated team that developed WU in the first place).  This possible scenario would have made any over-arching plan to preserve functions while porting extremely difficult (as we've seen in fact).

Note that the above is only my guess.. not based on any inside-knowledge. 

Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2019, 05:16:46 PM »
you're  probably right Ken.
I think if Masters would have approached  the community and laid out the funding issue and asked for donations or a yearly sub they would have supported the cause.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2019, 03:39:24 PM »
When is WU going to get rid of Flash? Never?  And  do away with http stickers?  Never?

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline Carbon

• Weather-Watcher
    • Gill MetPak Base Station PWS @ Myers Park
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
Like I said before, I personally don't care for the new redesign. But seriously, how hard is it to implement decimals for the temperature? Why did you release this new layout before you have something as simple as that implemented? I would even end my boycott if you would just give us the OPTION to use the old layout until these features are properly added. Hell, it doesn't even have to be the default and I'd be happy. But I also have to say, the fact that WU representatives haven't replied to this at all since the topic has been unlocked is seriously eroding the last little bit of faith I had left in you... Every day that goes by without so much as the tiniest response makes it less and less likely for me to consider returning to Wunderground even if they do add decimals back. At least just give us some type of response like "our website is so broken decimals are our last priority and they won't be added for years." Or "IBM laid off 90% of the Wunderground devs, so you are lucky we can keep the site running at all." Because right now, it looks like you just don't care and aren't even trying anymore. But please, prove me wrong. I personally don't mind that my data is being shared with TWC and IBM and whoever else. I also really miss the RapidFire updates. But until I hear anything, I'm done. I probably should re-read this rant, fix up the order, and add some paragraphs, but I'm sure no-one important will read it anyway, so who cares. Based on what I've seen from the WU reps lately, I've already put more effort into this post than they have put into posting on this board lately.

I echo your frustration. I'm mainly irritated that they removed access to the old website, both through horizon and through messing with the case of the dashboard link, before they fixed the new site. The decimal issue is the main thing plaguing me - I really wish I could understand how they're taking so long to fix it when they're clearly ingesting it properly in decimal form, as evidenced by the old site reporting decimals.

It's a front-end display issue. It's not even the temperature that ticks me off the most, it's the rain rate being rounded to the nearest whole number. After they released rapid fire to the redesign, that was great and all, but rain rate being rounded to the nearest whole number is the dumbest thing ever, making the metric useless. I kept the old site bookmarked to view rain rate data, but that has now been taken away as well, without fixing the issue on the new site. Seriously, 0.45 in/hr is displayed as 0 in/hr, and 0.55 in/hr is displayed as 1 in/hr. Still. Really?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Old WU site (horizon) is up and running again. No map/radar though.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »

Nope, it's just intermittent like it's always been. Giving errors here right now, sometimes it works, then it stops working, then it gives a HTTP error, then works again depending on the device, etc. Since they "took it down" it's just been intermittent and working at literally random. Sometimes I spam F5 and it works then it doesn't work anymore, etc etc.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »
Some of you are reporting that your station will not report rain in .01 inch increments or is rounded up .05 in increments.  My station does and has always reported in .01 increments.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAGRASS150 Am I missing something?

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #107 on: May 26, 2019, 12:39:14 PM »
Some of you are reporting that your station will not report rain in .01 inch increments or is rounded up .05 in increments.  My station does and has always reported in .01 increments.

The rate. And your module thing towards the top says 0", whereas the charts shows like 0.07"/he right now

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: May 26, 2019, 12:43:24 PM »

Nope, it's just intermittent like it's always been. Giving errors here right now, sometimes it works, then it stops working, then it gives a HTTP error, then works again depending on the device, etc. Since they "took it down" it's just been intermittent and working at literally random. Sometimes I spam F5 and it works then it doesn't work anymore, etc etc.

Ah yes I see that now. I'm now getting Error 404: Page Not Found.  Bummer. It's now just like the webcam servers.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline vsakalis

« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2019, 12:36:48 PM »
R.I.P old dashboard?
I have a long time to go in... :sad:

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: June 01, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »

The rate. And your module thing towards the top says 0", whereas the charts shows like 0.07"/he right now
I usually go to the graphs. Those have been accurate for me so far.

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »
Still waiting for the decimal precision  for temps....I remembered a post  by wu that they were working on it and it would take around "2 weeks"....That was on April 11th.
Don
Staten Island, NY

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
At this point it's probably safe to say what you've got is what you're going to have. Less disappointment. Of course sometimes they break something you've got so.....

Offline gvspfc

• Blumenau/Brazil Wunderground
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2019, 10:55:02 AM »
At this point it's probably safe to say what you've got is what you're going to have. Less disappointment. Of course sometimes they break something you've got so.....

I think you are right, thats it. Although I find it absurd not to have decimals, that's it. Maybe the end of WU is near

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2019, 09:19:07 PM »
Minor improvements have been made!

If you scan pages near your own page on WU, some temperatures are now listed in tenths of a degree! Separately, now all 3 of my pws have the Goldstar vs 1 a couple of weeks ago. And I had suggested the words “Forecast For” be added to the heading where the forecast is visible rather than just listing the city and state (see attached screenshot). WU actually made that change, so maybe the life at WU is not quite over!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:03:36 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2019, 10:10:23 PM »
Still no "forecast for" mine, and the nearby PWS table has had tenths all along.  That's what makes this so maddening...they have the data but don't care enough to properly present it.

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2019, 10:28:40 PM »
I have had forecast added to my station. I can only see tenths of a degree on other stations when using the Android app and highlighting another station. The web based app will not show tenths as of yet for me.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCAGRASS150

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2019, 03:05:49 AM »
 [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup] [tup]

This morning, 2019-06-05 T 05:00:00 UTC the .CSV files are available again

I checked my own and some user sites, the CSV files are available for history scripts both for the "Jim McMurry / Ken True" as my own version.
Also the weather34 graphs are OK and the WU-graphs v1.8 from Radomir Luza work correctly also.
Seems that for some users a few days are missing for the yearly CSV, but all other period-files are correctly populated.
The old-style graphs(https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/wxStationGraphAll)  on the history pages are correct for all periods also.

I hope this difficult period is over and we can continue to use our historical data as it was in the past..

BUT we need to get rid of the "bad bots" as the history scripts are very often misused hundreds of times / hour and that 24/7.
To get rid of those bots should have our priority.

The new dashboard still has no download button but maybe that will be solved also.

Wim

Offline lightmaster

• MB-HWS Template Dev
  • Forecaster
    • Baxley,GA Weather
« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2019, 03:47:23 AM »
The old and improved (hehehe) site seems to be up now, or least hasn't disappeared for a couple hours now.  [tup]
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?id=KGABAXLE9

Offline westhillman

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2019, 04:29:59 AM »
Maybe its been re-launched as the only means of getting Deg C to one decimal point, which they have been promising for months. 

Offline AboutAndAround

« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
The old and improved (hehehe) site seems to be up now, or least hasn't disappeared for a couple hours now.  [tup]
Yep, looks like it's consistently working now. Good. Not that much harm in bringing it back while they take their sweet time on fixing small stuff like decimals in the new site.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2019, 07:33:43 AM »
......that they appeared on this forum at all is vanishingly unusual. Most companies, and especially most big, successful, companies, bury their programmers so deep they need to pump air to them. They NEVER communicate with end users, but we are to believe that IBM decided to allow the efforts of their hothouse flower programmers to be exposed to this chaos?......
Ones like Uniden and Horizon Hobby have their programmers out in the wild. Ready to take all the rotten tomatoes the masses can throw. If you really stand behind a quality product you would not be afraid to engage.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2019, 07:39:46 AM »
Yep, looks like it's consistently working now. Good. Not that much harm in bringing it back while they take their sweet time on fixing small stuff like decimals in the new site.
Even my webcam is up now for first time in a couple months.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2019, 03:06:59 AM »
The flash sticker for weather conditions have returned.   I don't expect that to last long.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline catdon

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
Can you imagine the excitement  if and when they fix the decimal fiasco lol...get your 6 packs ready. BTW it's been two months now since they said they're working on it....I'd say it's even money whether it ever comes back.
Don
Staten Island, NY

anything