Author Topic: NOAA WEATHER RADIO  (Read 149742 times)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
Re: NOAA WEATHER RADIO
« Reply #400 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
In the main file you have a typo for the default station.  Change the KXK58 to WXK58 and that should clear the issue.

BINGO - that fixed it! Thanks for the quick reply. I knew it was something simple...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #401 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
RE: m3w

There are a couple of 'Gotchas' with M3W: 
Some of these also apply to other encoders, in similar fashion...
1. After setting it up, SAVE the config, 'File', 'Save as', (save where opens), default will probably be '1.m3w'.
Save it.
...after any restart, it SHOULD config itself to  saved setting...
BUT If you haven't configured 'options, startup'
2. You will have to start the 'server' again...
     A.  Click the 'play button' on the 'sound card'.
     B.  Click the 'Send' icon on 'Broadcast'.
OPTIONS START UP..
Tick ONLY
'Start Broadcasting' and 'Start Listening to Soundcard' Click
Save the file...

3.  Check your 'buffer' time... if too long you can get 'fooled' into thinking you're not working'. 5 Sec is plenty.
4.  Make sure the 'Private' box IS NOT Checked.
5. ,Make sure your 'bitrate' isn't too great.. 32 should be plenty.
6.  Use Joint stereo rather than 'stereo', unless the stream quality is 'worse'...
7.  It can take several seconds for it to show and be active on DynDns... depends on stuff outside your control.

My installs on Win 10s Volume display don't work, and show mixer won't work... other than that, no issues...
To set volume level, suggest getting active, use your 'ear' to set apparent volume level about the same as
the 'First Track' on the stations player at http://noaaweatherradio.org ... which is a 90%  level mp3 file
You MAY have to do that with the Win mixer, or the vol out of the radio, depending on your system.
Don't forget to save the M3W files.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:47:49 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #402 on: March 27, 2017, 10:02:58 PM »
RE: m3w

There are a couple of 'Gotchas' with M3W: 
Some of these also apply to other encoders, in similar fashion...
1. After setting it up, SAVE the config, 'File', 'Save as', (save where opens), default will probably be '1.m3w'.
Save it.
...after any restart, it SHOULD config itself to  saved setting...
BUT If you haven't configured 'options, startup'
2. You will have to start the 'server' again...
     A.  Click the 'play button' on the 'sound card'.
     B.  Click the 'Send' icon on 'Broadcast'.
OPTIONS START UP..
Tick ONLY
'Start Broadcasting' and 'Start Listening to Soundcard' Click
Save the file...

3.  Check your 'buffer' time... if too long you can get 'fooled' into thinking you're not working'. 5 Sec is plenty.
4.  Make sure the 'Private' box IS NOT Checked.
5. ,Make sure your 'bitrate' isn't too great.. 32 should be plenty.
6.  Use Joint stereo rather than 'stereo', unless the stream quality is 'worse'...
7.  It can take several seconds for it to show and be active on DynDns... depends on stuff outside your control.

My installs on Win 10s Volume display don't work, and show mixer won't work... other than that, no issues...
To set volume level, suggest getting active, use your 'ear' to set apparent volume level about the same as
the 'First Track' on the stations player at http://noaaweatherradio.org ... which is a 90%  level mp3 file
You MAY have to do that with the Win mixer, or the vol out of the radio, depending on your system.
Don't forget to save the M3W files.

Thank you, Mike!

Very helpful.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #403 on: March 28, 2017, 11:42:24 AM »
Just a heads-up.. The Monterey, CA feed (KEC49 166.55) went down yesterday afternoon.  I filed a NWR outage report, they responded that 'it's up'.
Nope.. called the NWS Office in Monterey and while on the phone, KEC49 came online as I was describing the problem.. go figure.

Anyway.. KEC49 feeds are back online this morning.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline heatcats

• Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central
  • heatcats
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #404 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
I saw that some of the Seattle feeds weren't compatible with the online player.

I went into the Inspect Element on Chrome and saw the non-compatible Seattle feeds were all .m3u, and I took one of the links and changed it to .mp3, tested it in another tab, and it worked with the HTML player instead of downloading a separate file.

For example: http://161.55.224.79:88/broadwave.m3u?src=1&rate=1 changes to http://161.55.224.79:88/broadwave.mp3?src=1&rate=1.

Is it possible a change to .mp3 from .m3u might make these feeds compatible with the online player, as the format for all the other working feeds is .mp3?

Also, just for your information, Forks (KXI27) is a repeater of and Neah Bay (KIH36).

Hopefully this helps!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 02:39:22 PM by heatcats »
Kyle/heatcats

Pacific Cyclone and Tsunami Central (PCTC)
Facebook: www.facebook.com/TsunamiCycloneCentral

For heatcats...
YouTube: heatcats
Twitter: heatcats7
Facebook: heatcats7

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #405 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »
I found this snippet in FWDRAP.js that might be inhibiting the display/play for .mp3?... type URLS
Code: [Select]
/\.(mp3)$/i.test(b) you could try changing that test to
/\.(mp3)/i.test(b) so the .mp3 doesn't have to be at the end of the string.. then maybe the player will pick it up with heatcats changes to the URLs..  Worth a try :)
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

• Forecaster
« Reply #406 on: March 28, 2017, 03:01:01 PM »
I found this snippet in FWDRAP.js that might be inhibiting the display/play for .mp3?... type URLS
/\.(mp3)$/i.test(b) you could try changing that test to
/\.(mp3)/i.test(b) so the .mp3 doesn't have to be at the end of the string.. then maybe the player will pick it up with heatcats changes to the URLs..  Worth a try :)
I will test it. I

• Forecaster
« Reply #407 on: March 28, 2017, 03:22:37 PM »
Didn't produce any great joy locally... in various combos of url....

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #408 on: March 28, 2017, 03:27:10 PM »
I don't see the code change I suggested to FWDRAP.js .. it still shows
/\.(mp3)$/i.test(b) and it's that $ that may be causing it to not recognize .mp3 files with ?src=N after it...

• Forecaster
« Reply #409 on: March 28, 2017, 06:34:07 PM »
I don't see the code change I suggested to FWDRAP.js .. it still shows
/\.(mp3)$/i.test(b) and it's that $ that may be causing it to not recognize .mp3 files with ?src=N after it...
Power's been off here couple of hours... I didn't change it on server.... checked it locally. Your change knocked out electric to 5000 homes.  [-X    :grin:
,...sent you an email at Saratoga webmaster....
Mike

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #410 on: March 28, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »
Dang, I knew JavaScript could be dangerous.. no idea that it could knock out your power  :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

Got your email, and have set up a small local testbed on my XAMPP development system.. I'll noodle about and see if I can convince it to offer those .mp3 streams too.

Thanks! (and hope your power comes back soon).

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #411 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:30 AM »
I need to change the station I'm broadcasting from Odell IL to Plano, IL as the Odell signal is just too weak for a good broadcast. I'm getting a much stronger signal from KXI-58 Plano IL and the counties covered are nearly the same. Can I just keep the same mountpoint and change the description in M3W?

Thanks
Bill

• Forecaster
« Reply #412 on: March 29, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
...been wantin' to try this, but haven't had time... also I've a very clear signal locally...
so didn't need it... but there are some who aren't that fortunate...
... dialing up a more distant transmitter,
I grabbed some stuff I had slowly oxidizing and collecting dust.
Slapped it together, and stuck it through some junk PVC to jam it in place
atop a pole lamp here in "The Cave"...

...after picking myself up off the floor,
I made a mod to the how to page....

Hold on to your socks:
Here's a paraphrased version
— Quality starts with reception. If you've a lousy signal, adding a pretty store bought external add-on rod, or slip-rod, antenna accessory is probably a waste of money....
BUT — an external ¼ λ ground plane antenna can be dramatic — here's a quick and ugly:

(...any doubts, click here and listen as the antenna is connected to the receiver)

...so, if you listened to that, put your socks back on, and think about it...  :twisted: 
Don't forget both left and right channels, and -12db to -6db average volume level is cool.... :lol:

Try it if you will, and if socks still in place, check underwear.

BTW... that's a 50' RG58 cable I had handy!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 11:45:50 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #413 on: March 29, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
I need to change the station I'm broadcasting from Odell IL to Plano, IL as the Odell signal is just too weak for a good broadcast. I'm getting a much stronger signal from KXI-58 Plano IL and the counties covered are nearly the same. Can I just keep the same mountpoint and change the description in M3W?

Thanks

update:
Made the change with same mountpoint and sent change notice via the contact form.
Bill

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #414 on: March 29, 2017, 12:59:35 PM »
I made the change to Plano in my script but all I can hear from you is a hum.

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #415 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
...been wantin' to try this, but haven't had time... also I've a very clear signal locally...
so didn't need it... but there are some who aren't that fortunate...
... dialing up a more distant transmitter,
I grabbed some stuff I had slowly oxidizing and collecting dust.
Slapped it together, and stuck it through some junk PVC to jam it in place
atop a pole lamp here in "The Cave"...

...after picking myself up off the floor,
I made a mod to the how to page....

Hold on to your socks:
Here's a paraphrased version
— Quality starts with reception. If you've a lousy signal, adding a pretty store bought external add-on rod, or slip-rod, antenna accessory is probably a waste of money....
BUT — an external ¼ λ ground plane antenna can be dramatic — here's a quick and ugly:

(...any doubts, click here and listen as the antenna is connected to the receiver)

...so, if you listened to that, put your socks back on, and think about it...  :twisted: 
Don't forget both left and right channels, and -12db to -6db average volume level is cool.... :lol:

Try it if you will, and if socks still in place, check underwear.

BTW... that's a 50' RG58 cable I had handy!

Looks great!  If you are looking to mount it easily, get some 1" or 1.5" PVC with a cap, drill a hole in the cap that fits the BNC (or SO239) connector and then run the cord through the PVC and attach it from bottom side of the PVC cap and put the cap on the PVC pipe.   Then you can mount your PVC in your attic or wherever, but keep in mind it's not weather proof, any water will ruin it.  Weather proofing is a whole different beast.

You can also use 10 or 12 gauge copper house wiring, or just galvanized utility wire works too, but copper is a little easier to work with and solder.

One of these makes it easier: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-SO-239-Female-Square-Connector/dp/B00BQK7OCU
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

along with with these: https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/wiring-accessories/terminals-connectors/termination/16-14-gauge-insulated-ring-terminals-20-pcs-box/p-1444439931890-c-6447.htm?tid=7796594759492362546
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:06:51 AM by tim273 »

• Forecaster
« Reply #416 on: March 30, 2017, 12:18:04 AM »
120 streams of 03/29/2017!
Newest live stream from Stan up in Champaign IL..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 09:04:18 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline stanswx

• StansWeather.Net
« Reply #417 on: March 30, 2017, 05:50:29 AM »
10 streams of 03/29/2017!
Thanks for having me! Sorry it took so long to find my way over here. Really frustrated with WU for pulling the plug like they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan - K9SWX - Champaign, IL

• Forecaster
« Reply #418 on: March 30, 2017, 09:15:33 AM »
10 streams of 03/29/2017!
Thanks for having me! Sorry it took so long to find my way over here. Really frustrated with WU for pulling the plug like they did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't you do any apologizing!  We glad you're aboard. It's WU who owes chasers, PWS owners, countless websites, etc the apology. They've been messin with stuff since The Weenie Channel Buy Out and it's become worse since Big Blue Bought it. There's more frustration to come.. you watch...
Meantime, to my Horror... I typoed the total, which is hereby un-typoed to 120.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #419 on: March 30, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
Welcome Stan!!!! 

With Stan being added to the stream map, we now have 67 out of the 127 feeds from the WU spreadsheet Ken created. I believe this puts us with 120 + feeds? (Mike has the exact number). At any rate, I consider this an outstanding job to all involved!!!!

Back on March 18th, I sent out 8 emails to various websites that had contact information and asked if they would like to join us. I heard back from 1(Shawn at FarmingtonWeather.info), although I can say 2 since Stan found us.

The list below contains the remaining websites that are listed in the WU spreadsheet:

http://www.foresthillweather.com/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, no response. Player is Flash based.

http://www.thorntonweather.com/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, no response. Player is Flash based and is still pointed to WU.

http://mypensacolaweather.com/ - No contact information I could find. NWR link is a direct download to your computer. Using Shoutcast.

http://www.tristate-weather.com/ - Is re-directed to their WU page.

http://weather.deqvi.net/ - No contact information I could find. NWR links are still pointed to WU.

http://www.auburnweatherlive.com/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, no response. Player is Flash based.

http://etaggart.com/weather/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, email bounced. No link to NWR player I could find.

http://www.loarc.com/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, no response. No link to NWR player I could find.

http://www.encweather.com/ - No contact information I could find (Social Media contact). No link to NWR player I could find. Heavy graphic based site.

http://www.bobflagle.com/weather/usa.htm - No contact information I could find. No link to NWR player I could find.

http://dukedom-tn-weather.com/ - No contact information I could find. No link to NWR player I could find.

http://www.westfordweather.net/ - Contacted on 03/18/2017, no response. Player is Flash based.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
Is there a list of weather alert radios with the output (NOT INPUT) jack for plugging into computer sound card. This would help those that wanted to get involved know where to start hardware wise.

3 models I know that work are Midland WR-300, Reecom R-1650, R-1630. 

My setup for streaming: Using Win7 computer and M3W broadcast software.
Radio needs audio out jack, 3 models listed above do have. Most have a accessory in jack but not all have the audio out. 

Changes I made to default

Encoder bitrate changed to 32000
server: wxradio.dyndns.org
Password: WxRadio2014
Login type: Http
Mountpoint: your choice .mp3

Issue with saving settings.
Best to save as and give unique name like Broadcast. I saved on desktop and use icon it created at startup. 

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:40:56 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline tim273

• Contributor
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi,

Everyone on here should reply to this post with their radio model make and number so this list can be compiled - I use the Midland 74-200.

Nick, dw7240.com

Not everyone uses an actual weather radio, I use an RTL SDR which is a USB dongle that receives radio signals, but in the past I used the Reecom 1630.

• Forecaster
« Reply #422 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:16 AM »
Hi,

Everyone on here should reply to this post with their radio model make and number so this list can be compiled - I use the Midland 74-200.

Nick, dw7240.com

PLEASE!
Let's not clutter this thread with that!  Start another thread under hardware, or something!

It will be great to have that info, but let's not blow this thread away...
Mike

Offline DW7240

• Senior Contributor
    • The Vicarage Weather Feed
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:59 AM »
Hi,

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to compromise this thread, have started a new one under Weather Radios - NOAA WEATHER HARDWARE.

Nick. dw7240.com

• Forecaster
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2017, 12:27:48 PM »
Hi,

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to compromise this thread, have started a new one under Weather Radios - NOAA WEATHER HARDWARE.

Nick. dw7240.com

Aahh Nick... you didn't compromise it!  It's a great idea! And it'll be very interesting info..  I just envisioned a couple hundred short posts here...
As the data fills in on that thread, maybe we'll pull the info and add it in the website.  Go For it! Might also ask them if they're doing it live on their website, streaming, what encoder they're using also....
Mike