Author Topic: New Ecowitt Setup  (Read 4084 times)

Offline WX-CPF

New Ecowitt Setup
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:13:28 AM »
Just wanted thank all the friendly and helpful folks here at WXForum that were so instrumental in helping me decide to go with Ecowitt equipment, and with all the helpful hints of how to get it reporting on WU.  After many years of buying - and disappointed with - cheaper / unnamed PWS stuff, Ecowitt fit the bill perfectly for my situation.

At first, I was going to pull the trigger and buy an Ecowitt HP2553 unit with the ultrasonic anemometer.  After reading WXForum comments about the questionable reliability of ultrasonic anemometers, I decided to custom-build my PWS with everything contained in the HP2553, but replacing the ultrasonic with the the tried-and-true mechanical WS68 anemometer.  So far, I am 100% happy with that decision!   

I've attached some photos of the finished project, and a few of the stories getting these individual instruments up and running:

The first photo is the WH31 outdoor temperature / humidity sensor tucked up in a corner of a well-ventilated, north-facing, patio roof 10' away from the house and is always exposed to natural air flow.  This sensor never sees direct sunlight and reflected heat from the deck is absorbed by a cool-decking surrounding the pool.  The roof above is 2x6 insulated wall construction with layers of internally-constructed, radiant-backed Styrofoam - courtesy of the home builder's original design, and a ventilated concrete tile roof.  Virtually no radiated heat gets near this sensor at any time. It's also well shielded from most rainfall, but admittedly, some very windy rainfall / thunderstorms might swirl some fine spray around the sensor during those rare events.  In my estimation, the placement of this sensor for accurate temperature readings equals or exceeds any shielding a solar / radiant SRS100LX equivalent, or Stevenson shield could provide - power ventilated or not.  In the background, you can see the anemometer and rain gauge.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

The second photo is the WS68 anemometer and WH40 rain gauge.  The anemometer is mounted on a 12'H / 1.5"D steel pole - painted to somewhat blend in with the surroundings.  Although, it is not the perfect 10m height, it does comply with the acceptable: Distance = 4 x (Obstruction Height - Anemometer Installed Height) requirement.  My strict HOA rules would never allow anything close to a 10m anemometer.  The WH40 rain gauge is bolted directly to the top of the cinderblock wall and away from any obstructions.

The 12' pole is bolted to a 9' steel angle-iron rod cemented 3' in the ground.  It was also carefully placed vertically plumb to ensure level accuracy to the pole attached to the angle iron.  Although the 12' pole is perfectly plumb in the vertical, it does slightly sway in >40mph heavy winds - enough to trigger an "all-in-one" unit with a rain gauge tipping bucket with false rainfall readings.  This was the major reason I wanted a separate rain gauge unit from the all-in-one instrument designs.  Ecowitt devices served this desire perfectly.   

For the WH31B indoor temperature / humidity / barometric sensor (not pictured), I did something to satisfy my own desire for accuracy:

One the nice things about the WH31B sensor is the cycling display for temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure.  Before I brought my PWS online with WU, I inserted the batteries in the WH31B, and took it to the nearest airport to calibrate it to their known, accurate barometric readings - which in my case was the North Las Vegas airport (KVGT).  I noticed right away, the WH31B sensor was reading 0.096" low on absolute pressure compared to KVGT equipment.  I compensated that into my WS2000C console, and later - compensating altitude difference to my location.  After a couple of weeks of initial calibration, the WH31B sensor seems to maintain good accuracy and follows KVGT readings quite closely.

The WS2000C console is a beautiful piece of work - first rate in my book.  Although WU doesn't recognize Ecowitt devices, WU does recognize the Ambient Weather WS2000 clone, which turned out to report my Ecowitt hardware to WU just fine.  Big thanks go to "galfert" for that helpful hint and for his other helpful hints.

Both the outdoor WH31, and indoor WH31B sensors read only 0.6 deg F low from the factory (by a lab-grade mercury thermometer), and both were temperature compensated in the WS2000C console as such.

This is certainly not a advertisement for the Ecowitt PWS, but I do love my new weather station and highly recommend it to any weather enthusiast!

WU: KNVLASVE511

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 06:22:20 AM by WX-CPF »

Ecowitt WS2000C Display Console
Ecowitt WH31B Indoor - Temp / Humidity / Baro Sensor
Ecowitt WH32 Outdoor - Temp / Humidity Sensor
Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge
Ecowitt WS68 Anemometer / Wind Vane / UV Sensor

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: New Ecowitt Setup
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:44:46 AM »
Firstly, the anemometer is very nicely sat. However, IMHO, your temp sensor is at best questionable, and what makes it worse is where you live (I'm in Tucson). Even though the sensor is in a "favorable" position reference the north side of the house and all, the heat absorbed into the stucco and literally the entire exterior of the house itself from our "best-in-class" solar insolation here, will be a direct heat transfer into the sensor housing. When things start heating up (just around the corner) the worse the sensor siting will become. Just needs to come physically off the wall, at the very least.

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:40:02 AM »
I'd also be concerned about heat lingering in the exact location the temp sensor is installed.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
I'd also be concerned about heat lingering in the exact location the temp sensor is installed.

I have a sensor for a Meade thermometer mounted under the ceiling of my front porch and it reads a couple of degrees too high. I attribute it to trapped air, even though it is well shielded from the sun.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline mdtoro

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 10:09:28 AM »
Nice!  I'm looking at the exact same setup.  Can I ask where you bought the console?  Amazon does not have the console in the US.
Gaithersburg MD

HP2551-C Display
GW1004  Gateway
WH40  Rain Guage
WH41  Air Quality
WS68 Anemometer
WH57 Lightning Detection
WH32 Outdoor Temp and Humidity
WH51 Soil Mosture
WH55 Water Leak

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 04:09:23 PM »
Concur. I actually thought of that after the fact but figured I had piled on enough.

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 02:57:12 AM »
I agree that I need to get the sensor further away from the wall.  It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's actually about 1/4" away from the wall surface.  The wall is EIFS stucco, so I'm brushing up on how to attach stuff to that type of wall structure.  Appreciate the feedback / comments!

mdtoro:

Here's where I bought my individual PWS components from:

Ecowitt WS2000C Color Console
Ecowitt WH31B Indoor Temperature / Humidity / Barometric Sensor

The above items you have to order directly from Ecowitt in Shenzhen, China from their email website because they are not sold on Amazon:
support@ecowitt.com / ecowittweather@outlook.com
The email reply will probably be "Lucy" and she is very helpful.  Expect 3-5 weeks after you place the order for it to be shipped.  You must also specify that you will need the WH31B sensor - otherwise they may not send it!

--------------------------------------

Ecowitt WH31 Outdoor Temperature / Humidity Sensor
Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

The three above items can be ordered direct from Amazon.  I received the above three items within 3 days, but that was before the world turned upside down :-(

Good Luck!  I think you'll be happy with the Ecowitt equipment
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:51:03 AM by WX-CPF »

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 03:05:20 AM »
I agree that I need to get the sensor further away from the wall. 
Respectfully, as the reasons given above, if you want reliable temp data, it needs to come out of its current place.

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 03:17:35 AM »
Noted  [tup]

Always appreciate any feedback!

Cheers!

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
 Hi,I would love the same setup as yourself,is the WS2000c console,the one which is sold with the HP2553 the 7" one and the indoor temp/barometer sensor is that the WH31 or WH32 as I can't find the WH31B,one other thing can you stream weather updates to weather underground.
sorry for all the questions but I want to get it right first time as I don't want to spend money twice
Many thanks
Ken..

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 05:15:09 PM »
Hi Ken,

My apologies - my Ecowitt part numbers listed in previous posts were all messed up and incorrect.  I have since updated my profile signature on the bottom to reflect the correct part numbers.

To specifically answer your questions:

The WS2000C is the exact same console sold with the HP2553.  The LED screen actually measures 6 1/8"W x 3 1/2"H.  The entire console, including the silver frame is 7 5/8"W x 5 1/2"H x 1"D.

The indoor temperature, humidity, barometric sensor is WH31B.  Please ignore any of my previous part number posts.  You cannot find WH31B as a separate part because it is sold along with the WS2000C - direct from Ecowitt / Shenzhen, China.

The only way I know of to order the WS2000C / WH31B combo is directly from the Ecowitt website via email and PayPal:

ecowittweather@outlook.com

Make sure you specify in the email order you want the WH31B indoor temperature / humidity / barometric sensor along with the WS2000C console, otherwise Ecowitt may not ship the WH31B!  You will need the WH31B as this is the only sensor that has a barometric sensor.  Expect 3-5 weeks for delivery (or longer in these trying days!).  There was no additional cost to get the WH31B - the entire console, WH31B, and shipping was $139 USD.  The person that replied to my order was "Lucy", and she was very helpful.

The WH31 is only if you want customized additional temperature / humidity sensors elsewhere, such as in a garage, extra bedroom, basement, etc., but are not required for a basic setup.  You can add up to 8-additional WH31 sensors later on the WS2000C console will cycle display for your own special setup.

The WH32 is the outdoor temperature / humidity sensor.  This is the sensor that sends outdoor temperature / humidity to the WS2000C console - only ONE WH32 sensor is needed, or received by the WS2000C console.  Does that make sense?

To summarize, the WS2000C and WH31B sensor must be ordered directly from Ecowitt in Shenzhen, China.  The remaining items to the PWS (rain gauge, anemometer, and outdoor temp/humidty WH32) can all be ordered direct from Amazon at these links:

https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Wireless-Self-Emptying-Collector-Rainfall/dp/B07JKWM2VB?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Wireless-Powered-Anemometer-Sensor/dp/B07JLRQJ12

https://www.amazon.com/ECOWITT-Outdoor-Temperature-Humidity-Sensor/dp/B07MZ4RWY1

Streaming to WU was easy via the WS2000C console.  It's hard to describe how, but it's very easy and intuitive to do inside the "Settings" menu of the WS2000C once you get your PWS up and running.

Ecowitt sensor part numbers can be confusing at times, so please let me know if you have any other questions.  At any rate, I now have the correct part numbers in my bottom profile post section.  I think you'll really like this PWS setup!

Cheers!

Phil

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 02:38:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply Phil,put my mind at rest that I'm going to order the correct parts,I know it's going to take a while for the items to be delivered but not to bothered as I've got a make do station up at the moment (can't connect to any Internet weather sites)but I still can see the weather updates,I will order my station/sensors etc over the weekend and will post an update when it comes and I'm up and running,thanks again for your help
Ken..

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 03:42:04 AM »
 Just an update to my post, I emailed for a new quote  for the above plus the lightning sensor and bird spikes,total cost $333 , it came back at $380 that $50 for shipping, if customs hit me fot tax to the uk that's another £50 which makes the total cost to me around £360, I don't think I can justify the costs

Offline doubleohwhatever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 04:03:22 AM »
If it helps, I've seen people use zip-ties to make bird spikes. Also, the lightning sensor is absolutely not required for a good weather station and could be added later.

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 04:10:18 AM »
I know but I thought I could get it altogether and install it at the same time,still ain't made my mind up,expecially at the moment as we don't know what's happening with the world economy etc.
cheers
Ken..

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 05:44:03 AM »
I'd like to say to Phil, sorry for hijacking you post.
Ken.

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
Absolutely no worries Ken! [tup]

Some possible helpful tips for you though...  I've had a lightning sensor with other PWS equipment in the recent past and honestly, a lightning sensor was a very low / no priority for me when getting the Ecowitt PWS.  Lightning sensors are "ok" - sorta, kinda, but like doubleohwhatever said, not really necessary or even needed.  I could give you a lot of anecdotal opinions of my experience with lightning sensors, but the short-version of this point is, I left that device out of my new PWS for good reason because, frankly, I don't believe they are all that accurate.  Yes, they will detect very close strikes, but to serve as an "early warning device for approaching storms?", forget about it, you'll hear the thunder long before a sensor will detect it.

Because I live in Las Vegas, Nevada, and with bad summer PM2.5 air quality, I considered the Ecowitt WH41B air quality sensor at first for my PWS, but quickly dismissed that because the Southern California / South Coast AQMD gave the WH41B sensor less than glowing testing reviews:

http://www.aqmd.gov/docs/default-source/aq-spec/field-evaluations/ecowitt-wh41b---field-evaluation.pdf?sfvrsn=6

As far as the bird-spikes go, I suppose that is a regional decision you have to make, but, you live in the UK right?  Now, I've never been to England, but doesn't it rain there quite frequently throughout the year?  And given that, wouldn't a rain gauge tend to be "flushed out" regularly?  If you're worried about bird-droppings getting into the rain gauge collection funnel, I wouldn't worry about it with an Ecowitt WH40 rain gauge because of it's weighted-bucket design.  Unless birds are using the WH40 as a communal toilet, or making a nest in the funnel, it won't affect the WH40 because of the way it's made.  The WH40 does come standard with a wire-spiral type of debris-shield that fits inside the hole, but I didn't install it with mine.  Even with only 4"-6" annual rainfall and a lot sparrows that have called my back yard home, I didn't install it in mine because it just wasn't necessary - just my opinion...  What I did though was, spray paint the collection funnel with spray-on teflon-coating such as this, which has worked out quite well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=nUVIXlYV3I4&feature=emb_logo

At any rate, there are much cheaper bird mitigation options to consider before I'd buy the expensive rain gauge bird-spike option from Ecowitt.  Not only that, the bird-spike option from Ecowitt is nothing more than a cheap add-on, zip-tie, makeshift deal anyway - certainly nothing like the dedicated spikes from something like say - Davis.

I don't know what to tell you about the UK tariffs / taxes...  I suppose that is the UK getting their pound of flesh from Chinese imports?  Something the USA hasn't done, but maybe should be doing, but I don't want to turn this into a political discussion / forum!

Phil

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 07:00:44 AM »
By the way, just for grins and giggles...

I have been in search of the perfect, affordable PWS since I was a kid.  Around 1965, Santa Claus brought me a Lionel PWS for the then outrageous price of $65 USD (equivalent to $533 USD in 2020!).

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lionel-weather-station-mark-3253-1855975895

That Christmas day, it took me and my brilliant, loving, aerospace engineer dad all day to put that POS station together.  There were so many little pieces and parts to assemble, screw together, clip together - which in my dad's engineer mind was,  to silver solder together...  What a job that was, and it still never even worked remotely as advertised.  So, yeah, I love my PWS today!!

Gotta love 21st Century technology!   \:D/

Phil

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge

Offline ka004h9564

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »
Thanks for your reply, I am from the UK and we do get a fair bit of rain through the year, just thought the spikes would help in keeping them off it and as for the lightning sensor I'll take your advise as it's not that worth it, I think I will probably stick with my ariginal choice of the wh3501 with the smaller display.
Thanks again
Ken

Offline AdkManUpstateNY

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 05:48:02 AM »
Yes, I would definitely relocate the outdoor sensor. It needs air to circulate all around it. I would build a radiation shield for it and relocate it on a pole mount if possible.
La Crosse Technology S84060 *Currently on WU*
AcuRite 00386SDI

Offline ivano

• Senior Contributor
    • http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 01:33:40 PM »
nice station, but the sensor attached to the wall without any protection, it's not a good idea, as soon as you can get a good sunscreen, even a davis 7714 is fine, better a meteoshiel pro (even if it costs too much) with time you can also change the wh32 with a wh32EP (probe sensor);) however this combination that you have taken, will give you great satisfaction;)  :-P
1)3 gw1000 +1 GW2000
2)hp2551
3)ws80
4)ws68
5)2 wh32 EP
6)5 wh31 EP
7)2 meteoschield pro 3° gen
8)1 Fars meteoshield pro 3° gen
9) davis 7714 Black
10)wh40
11)schermo solare RAD-14 Metspec
12)schermo solare RAD-02 Metspec
13)Meteorain 200 compact (Barani)
14)davis ventilato h24
15) Davis vp2 pro ventilata
16) GW1001 ecowitt
17) Wittboy ecowitt
18)schermo solare  Comet system da Cometeo
template http://ortellemeteo.altervista.org/pwsd/
webcam :https://rtsp.me/embed/tRhazi3z/
http://www.supermeteo.com/stazione/ortelle/

Offline WX-CPF

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2020, 01:38:33 AM »
Hi folks.  Yes, I moved the temp/humidity sensor out of that "under the patio" location, and out in the open air.  I bought a La Crosse 925-1418 shield for that sensor to keep the elements off of it.  Over the summer, I noticed temperature readings followed quite closely with nearby fan-aspirated stations (given that temperatures here can be >110F deg) - so I'm pleased with the final result.

Ok, I hope I'm not asking a really stupid question here, but I cannot find an answer in any of the manuals.  I hope some of the gurus here can answer this for me:

I have the WS2000 display.  On the bottom-right of the display is the barometric rate of change - the attached picture indicates rising pressure of 0.02".  What time rate is that 0.02" increase?  1hr?  3hrs?  I know from many years gone by, 0.06" per 3hrs was a rapid change (or, 0.02"/hr).  I tried to understand my console barometric rate of change display to make sense of it, but I've also noted the rate of change updates like every 10 min of so.  Any answers or comments???

Update: I called tech support at Ambient Weather with my question.  They did not know the answer either...  Hmm.   
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:01:09 PM by WX-CPF »

Ecowitt WH40 Rain Gauge