Author Topic: IC Creep?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
IC Creep?
« on: April 27, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
Hi All,

Wel,l for some updates from Maui, I am still working on my H-Field amplifier and got a kit from Egon about a month ago but it is still in the box since I have not gotten the time to put it together.  This is the board that got flooded last year.  I was not able to revive the flooded board and Egon made the final run for this board.  Hope that I can find the time to get the H-Field back up and running.  Currently I am just using the E-Field antenna and seems to be working okay.

Now for the subject, I was having issues with the controller as it seems to just kinda stopped working and it would start up on its own and go bananas.  Just would not stay up and running.  So I took the whole thing apart and found the IC one main board had come loose.  First time I had this happen.  I read somewhere that it could creep out of the socket from either from heating and cooling with the expansion and contractions the culprit.  I guess this is what happened.  Got the IC back in the socket and put the whole thing back together and now it seems to be working properly.  I hope that was the issue.  Will see as time goes by.

Thanks for all the support with this project by all.

Best regards to all,

--Stan Y.
   Maui, Hawaii

Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: IC Creep?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »
Hey Stan.....

Yep had similar issue with the ATMEGA on 791 H preamp...no corrosion noted, I just spread the IC pins very, VERY slightly and re-socketed...  I may just remove the socket at some point and hard solder it in if it re-occurs... haven't had issue with the older 689. It seems to me that I've heard of a handful of similar socket issues over the years.. it can happen... but is a heck of a lot easier than tracking down and repairing an issue on the all SMD BLUE... especially when these old eyes can't see those tiny devices... heh..

Mike