Author Topic: Past WX stations owned?  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Past WX stations owned?
« on: July 01, 2018, 09:57:16 PM »
It's apparent that quite a few of us have owned/operated many other weather stations prior to what we're currently using, so what where those "other" products?

Here's my laundry list:

2004-2006 = Taylor 91756 & 91661 (3ch, wireless T & RH)
2006-2008 = La Crosse Technology WS-8610U (3ch, wireless T & RH; RS232 link)
2008-2012 = Oregon Scientific Instruments WMR200 (10ch, wireless; USB link)
2012-today = Davis VP2 & Envoy8X (upgrade to Vue console in 2016)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:54:21 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Past WX stations owned?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
Mine was an anemometer I made in 8th grade out of a half gallon milk carton, a cork and three large sewing needles. It registered up to 30mph and I believe I got an "A" for it. My science teacher was really cool....

Offline Dj1225

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:29:18 AM »
1994-1995 = Radio Shack cabled probe thermometer and a rubbermaid cup for a rain gauge
1995-1996 = Same Radio Shack thermometer and an actual cone style rain gauge
1996-1999 = Davis Weather Wizard III
1999-2002 = Davis Weather Monitor II
2002-2005 = Davis Vantage Pro (Lost to Hurricane Katrina)
2005-Today = Davis Vantage Pro 2

Needless to say I've been a fan of Davis weather stations and haven't looked at getting one from the competition.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 08:40:47 AM »
During my Jr. High School and High School years back in the 60's I had a variety of "home brew" instruments, with a lot of help from Dad. (some "government project" activity where he worked I believe). I had a really neat remote wind vane that used two servo motors, one with the vane and another inside with a homemade pointer.

I built a lightning detector using a transistor and milliammeter. I made an antenna with multiple "probes" out if 14 AWG copper wire. It worked well and I had a potentiometer to turn down the sensitivity as storms approached.

From the late 1990's ('98 I think) I ran a station consisting of Dallas Semiconductor "weather station" for Wind Speed and Direction. Temperature was pretty useless in this thing since it was heated by the sun.

I also had the DalSemi rain gauge. Both the rain gauge and wind set use TxWx mechanical components, but custom electronics showcasing the OneWire chips.

I added a One-Wire temperature / humidity sensor (AAG) in a fan-aspirated electrical box.

After a tree took out the wind set, I replaced it with a very similar AAG set.

In 2011 I installed a Davis Vantage Pro 2.
Later I added a Davis Temp/Hum station and upgraded to a solar door after about a year.
I have since added DFARS to both the T/H station and the original ISS.
I started out with Blitzortung with the USB version (final) of the "green" detector board.
I added RED station, then a Blue. I scavenged the antennas and enclosures from the "green" board system for the Blue unit.
I also have an R M Young Wind Monitor Jr. that I found NOS on eBay. There is a separate 6332 and Universal Anemometer Interface for it. My station wind data comes from the Young wind set.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
During my Jr. High School and High School years back in the 60's I had a variety of "home brew" instruments, with a lot of help from Dad. (some "government project" activity where he worked I believe). I had a really neat remote wind vane that used two servo motors, one with the vane and another inside with a homemade pointer.

I built a lightning detector using a transistor and milliammeter. I made an antenna with multiple "probes" out if 14 AWG copper wire. It worked well and I had a potentiometer to turn down the sensitivity as storms approached.

From the late 1990's ('98 I think) I ran a station consisting of Dallas Semiconductor "weather station" for Wind Speed and Direction. Temperature was pretty useless in this thing since it was heated by the sun.

I also had the DalSemi rain gauge. Both the rain gauge and wind set use TxWx mechanical components, but custom electronics showcasing the OneWire chips.

I added a One-Wire temperature / humidity sensor (AAG) in a fan-aspirated electrical box.

Later I added a Davis Temp/Hum station and upgraded to a solar door after about a year.
I started out with Blitzortung with the USB version (final) of the "green" detector board.
I added RED station, then a Blue. I scavenged the antennas and enclosures from the "green" board system for the Blue unit.
I also have an R M Young Wind Monitor Jr. that I found NOS on eBay. There is a separate 6332 and Universal Anemometer Interface for it. My station wind data comes from the Young wind set.

Greg H.

Wow! Impressed.

Back in '62-64 I had a max min thermometer from Taylor. I kept daily records of temp, sky, precip totals that I got from homemade gauges (which were probably not very accurate). I really enjoyed doing daily records.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:14:38 AM »

Greg H.

Great...I was wondering how many (if any) one-wire (Dallas Semiconductor) stations were used. At Hughes Aircraft Company, I worked with Tim Bitson who wrote a book on one-wire weather projects:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 09:46:53 AM by Old Tele man »

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
Ooooh, I've got a long list....

I had an Accurite wireless thermometer one time....

\:D/

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
10 years ago I got a LaCrosse ?WS-2310? and within a week the anemometer cups broke off, so returned it to the store. 
Did some research and ordered a Davis VP2 with the earliest data I have records July 2008.
Added a B-L sunrecorder in May 2011Blitzortung station May 2015Heathkit ID-4001 (without sensors) February 2016.
Replaced Davis VP2 ISS with VP2 PLus 24-FARS ISS May 2018

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 10:40:13 AM »
2006-2008 - LaCrosse WS2300 (software I used for that was Open2300)
2008-2013 - Irox/Honeywell TE923 (used WD mainly for that)
2013-present - Davis VPIIPro (mainly Cumulus/Cumulus MX which I still use, however I have an interest in looking at the new MB dongle for the VP once it is out).
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »
My first station in 1978 was all manual with full size cotton region shelter (whitewash no paint), Townsend mounting bracket for NWS max/min thermometers and 4" dia. plastic rain gauge (Cocorahs style). I used a sling psychrometer for humidity with one of those round dp/humidity calculators and kept a detailed journal of conditions.   

First digital anything was Heathkit thermometer followed by
Heathkit ID-4001 Weather Station followed by
RainWise WS-1000 with printer followed by
Davis Weather Monitor II
Davis Vantage Pro
Davis Vantage Pro 2 (current)

Somewhere in there I built a HEATHKIT Barometer. 
Randy

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
My first station in 1978 was all manual with full size cotton region shelter (whitewash no paint), Townsend mounting bracket for NWS max/min thermometers and 4" dia. plastic rain gauge (Cocorahs style). I used a sling psychrometer for humidity with one of those round dp/humidity calculators and kept a detailed journal of conditions.

Sounds exactly like the setup we used at each of our USArmy Yuma Proving Ground laser PATS tracking sites: Stevenson shelter, mechanical circular-inking thermometer and barometer, and 'hand' sling-psychrometer and circular computer (similar to pilot's E6B).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:37:07 PM by Old Tele man »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 05:34:38 PM »

Sounds exactly like the setup we used at each of our USArmy Yuma Proving Ground laser PATS tracking sites: Stevenson shelter, mechanical circular-inking thermometer and barometer, and 'hand' sling-psychrometer and circular computer.

Forgot I had one of those too, Mechanical circular-inking thermometer.  :-)
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 05:49:04 PM »

circular computer (similar to pilot's E6B).
=D> Used to play with my dad's all the time!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 06:02:52 PM »
I have vague memories of a couple of "toy" weather stations. One was a sort of all in one post mount with a glass cylinder for a rain gauge and a thermometer, both mounted on a plastic wind vane that showed direction. Mounted on that vertical vane was a hanging vane, pivoted at the top. Markings on the vertical vane showed wind speed. The more horizontal it got, the higher the wind speed. Alas, I can't locate a picture on line of what I think it looked like.

The other was more of a kit. The only 2 things I remember were making the barometer with a plastic cup and a thin membrane, and the anemometer. As I recall, that was pretty cool, and high tech for a kid. The cups spun a worm gear that drove a pinion gear on a shaft. That shaft held a cam that closed and opened a switch, which lit a flashlight bulb. Counting the flashes in a given time period equaled the wind speed, I think.

Besides those, 30 or more years ago I had a Digitar pre-Davis. Since then, a cabled VP2, and now a bunch of wireless VP2s and Davis wireless sensors.

Oh, and a crappy LaCrosse that calls itself a professional weather station but is really just an indoor/outdoor thermohygrometer with an inaccessible baro sensor used for the crappy Zambretti style forecast implementation.

Offline eddhuy

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:50 PM »
Did not own any but as a Quarter Master in the U.S. Coast Guard I did weather observation on ships.  Had to do vectors to get wind speed unless anchored or at a pier, we helped with weather balloons sometimes, did Bathythermographs as well as swells, wind waves, clouds, visibility wet and dry temps and any number of other obs depending on which type of observation you were making.

I was at sea for over 12 years, it got me hooked on the weather.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »
Only 2.
WMII from 2003 to 2009. Fried by a lightning Strike.
VP2 from 2009 to present with a refurb in 2016.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 08:53:54 AM »
Thanks for tickling my memory, Ocala. I need to add a WMII to my list in between the Digitar and the cabled VP2. Both the WMII and cabled VP2 had 2 wired consoles on them.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2018, 09:46:37 AM »
My first weather station was a Skilcraft Weather Forecaster in the 1970's:

Had to assemble the barometer, spin a cheap sling psychrometer over your head, and time the wind cups for X seconds to count revolutions, and obviously did not come with an uploader for WU in the box.  :lol:

My father had an early wired Davis unit when they first came out, and I had one at work a few years later until it took a lightning strike and was never replaced.

About 10 years ago, I made a wrong turn in our local Lowes store and I came home with an Acu-Rite 5-in-1, with subsequent purchases of additional consoles, the Internet bridge, a replacement 5-in-1, and all kinds of add-on stuff.  Great accuracy for the price, but just as labor-intensive as the 1970's Skilcraft to keep it running at times.

I finally bought a Davis (VP2) of my own this past spring, to add to my growing collection of stations.  They multiply like rabbits in my back yard!  The current count is 5 anemometers, 4 solar/UV gauges, 7 rain gauges, 4 temp/humidity gauges, and at least 4 independent weewx instances logging data with a fifth one for reference plotting it all onto one set of graphs for comparison.

As for future weather stations, I'm always on the lookout for an RM Young ultrasonic for the right price, and have a DIY idea for an automated snow board that I need to build and patent one of these days.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WDoug

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »
Oh my gosh, vreihen.     =D>     I had the exact same thing !!!!    The anemometer was a joke,  but the liquid barometer was interesting the way it worked.    I ran across the record sheets a while back and couldn't remember where I got them.    Now I know.

Thanks for the memories.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »
Early 60s- Lionel Mark 2 Weather Station
2008- Bought a used (10 years old I believe) Davis Weather Monitor II with USB data Logger to dedicated PC
2015- Moved to new house, bought an Acurite 5-in-1 station with USB logger to dedicated PC
2018- Replaced Acurite with a Davis Vantage Vue with Pro2 console and Wifi Logger to dedicated PC
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:45:03 PM by azjerry »

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline Rising Barometer

• dorn2@outlook.com
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 11:55:20 PM »
Azjerry and SLOweather,  that weather station you had with the clear plastic panel sounds like the ones made by Lionel. The one I had back in the 60's I treasured so much. It was a Christmas present. The anemometer was exactly as SLOweather described in his post above.

Offline dsscheibe

• Scott's Weather Station Cactus Wren, Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2018, 02:48:32 AM »
I had a wireless Oregon Scientific  for a couple years, after replacing the batteries charged by solar panels every year and the rain collector fell apart in the Arizona sun. I bought a wired Davis Pro which was a lot more difficult to set up but once it was up I didn't have to mess with it. Other than a freak hail/ice storm which destroyed what was left of the Oregon and broke the anemometer vanes on the Davis. Moved, sent the display unit in to Davis to have the barometer certified as cwop kept telling me it was drifting. Bought an upgraded rain collector with bird wires on it and put back up a few months ago at the new house which I've been living in 4 years now..  Part of the problem was the computer I had the station on died (high end Dell) and the cheep one I replaced it with didn't have a com port.  At Christmas time I bought a refurbished HP, installed more memory, a bigger second hard drive, Blu ray player and a high power WIF (router is on the other side of the house) for a media server and weather station system. Virtual weather station kept crashing on it so now I have switched to Weather Display harder to figure out but at least it doesn't crash. 
Scott
Davis Pro2 Plus daytime aspirated, wired
Weather Display

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2018, 08:48:57 AM »
Warning, Will Robinson! Warning! AZ sun rots Davis FARS plastic!

Bought my VP2 in April 2012 and yesterday, while replacing the failed fans, both of the top two plates literally broke/crumbled in my hands as I handled them. That is less then 6.5 years usage.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:50:49 AM by Old Tele man »

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2018, 01:05:47 PM »
Rising Barometer, I believe you've done it. The Lionel weather station certainly looks like what I remember. Thanks!

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 05:05:54 PM »
Neat. Can someone post pictures of the 1960's Lionel weather station? I tried Googling but not really sure what I'm looking for.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole