Author Topic: Acurite Atlas - Aspirating fan motor replacement  (Read 2163 times)

Offline sastanley71

Acurite Atlas - Aspirating fan motor replacement
« on: November 20, 2020, 09:45:27 PM »
Hi, new member.
I think the bearing(s) are bad on my aspirating fan motor. I have a known hearing problem and I can hear the thing grinding away 40 feet in the air. I brought the unit to ground level and tried a drop of machine oil, but you can feel the shaft vibrate in the housing when powered by the solar panels.
Pic below are the numbers on the back of the fan motor. Can it be replaced?
Funny thing..I just got this unit back from Acurite in Sept for wind calibration adjustments and they did not mention any issues with the fan motor.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Shawn
Solomons, MD
https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/md/solomons/KMDSOLOM2
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:17:32 PM by sastanley71 »
Acurite Atlas with Access

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: Acurite Atlas - Aspirating fan motor replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 02:45:17 PM »
I don't know about the replacement but I do know if the motor isn't set perfect in the housing it will make some noise plus can lock up . I had that problem last year and removed the fan housing and lubed it up and was very careful about putting everything back together . But after a week it was sounding like dry bearings mainly when it was cold outside for some reason . I took it down and found one of the tabs wasn't pressed all the way in and that was my problem . Like I said maybe someone else here will know where you can find a replacement motor but I don't . Here's a old breakdown of the atlas with some good pictures also . https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.0
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 02:54:51 PM by Mabcmb »

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »
Thanks for the info...this thing was vibrating even after I had it removed from the housing and was just holding the motor in my hand with the solar panels in the sun.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 07:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the info...this thing was vibrating even after I had it removed from the housing and was just holding the motor in my hand with the solar panels in the sun.

Well hopefully someone on here can find a place that sells a new motor for you . Maybe use chat on Monday with Acurite and they can give you a hand on where a replacement motor can be found .

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 07:56:09 PM »
I have no idea what fan motor your PWS takes, but this is a place to at least start. This link shows the aftermarket VP2 replacement.

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 08:56:16 PM »
Thanks.. i appreciate the help. While I was fooling around with oiling the motor shaft, I broke the wires, so I put the unit back up with no fan. It is almost winter here, so I have some time to work on it. The temp reading is actually not my largest concern anyway...I pay more attention to wind, rain, humidity, dew point, etc.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »
I put the unit back up with no fan. It is almost winter here, so I have some time to work on it. The temp reading is actually not my largest concern anyway...I pay more attention to wind, rain, humidity, dew point, etc.
Common misconception is that a fan is to combat heat. It does to an extent, but the main purpose is to combat lack of wind, regardless of "how hot it is". Also realize that just because you're unconcerned with the temp, that's exactly how your humidity and dew point are extrapolated.

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »
I am kinda new to weather monitoring.
I did not say unconcerned, but temp was not high on the list..but I do appreciate the education understanding how things are calculated!  [tup]

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
Update:
I inquired with Acurite, and they are extending the warranty on my unit. Not sure yet if they are sending me a motor, or if I am sending the unit back to them for repair (again).

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 02:20:44 PM »
That's nice that Acurite stepped up to the plate!  [tup] keep us posted.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
Yeah, I agree..It has been a bit of a long road, but they have followed thru so far. [tup]

Offline sastanley71

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 11:17:25 PM »
It turns out extending the warranty meant sending me a new unit. Manufacture date 38th week of 2020. Brand new Atlas up on the pole.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/md/solomons/KMDSOLOM2

This is a terrible cell phone pic, but the blob above my weather station is the ISS that passed over at 1750-ish local in Maryland at -3.3 magnitude. That is probably Jupiter just below the weather station. I am facing west in this picture 1 hour after sunset.

Thanks to Acurite for "stepping up" as daman mentioned.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 11:29:15 PM by sastanley71 »

anything