Author Topic: Height above ground setting.  (Read 742 times)

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
Height above ground setting.
« on: January 07, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
Hi - Couldn't find a post about this so... when setting up your station (on WU) it asks for 'Elevation' (required) fair enough, but also 'height above ground' (not marked as required) and I am wondering if this setting will have any bearing on my readings and if so does it mean height above ground of the sensor array or the console? ...or the (separate) barometric pressure sensor ftm. I can only see it being relevant for the pressure sensor but would have though that was already covered by 'elevation'.

...Another question while I'm here - what is the 'medal' that some stations have?  ...as it doesn't seem to correspond with their accuracy...
Thanks, Gord.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Re: Height above ground setting.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 07:39:03 AM »

Offline G.Brown

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 08:29:18 AM »
thanks for that link David.
so Height above ground seems to be for WU to add a correction factor to your WIND data as most people dont have it at the ideal height, which may explain why my wind speed readings on wu seem to be higher than shown on my console.
I am personally more interested in the wind speed at low level for when I go out on my bike,  but I suppose the readings at the ideal height are for weather prediction, but I imagine most people are using wu to see the conditions that apply to them personally, rather than making a contribution to forecast data.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2021, 08:37:14 AM »
The "medal" seems to be awarded on a random and capricious basis regardless of accuracy or reliability.  I've come to the conclusion that it is worthless and the problem is that there are a finite number of them.  As a result they get moved around.  You'd think a company the size of IBM, with their resources, could afford to have more than enough cheap medals to go around, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  ;-)
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:27:36 AM »
You may be just right about the finite amount. I had one for a week or so a couple weeks ago then it is gone lol :roll:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:40:24 PM »
Maybe WU should do like the Covid vaccine and give out half WU stars.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

anything