Author Topic: wmr100a sensor  (Read 4986 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
wmr100a sensor
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:18:15 PM »
I've got one on the way that is the model with the temp/hygro built in below the anemometer in the rad shield. I have read about owners having problems with water intrusion. My hope is to avoid this with sealing up the battery compartment or wherever the water is getting in before I install. Any suggestions would be welcome... The station seems to last years if you take care of it from what I've been reading.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
Re: wmr100a sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:42:19 PM »
Never had that problem with that. I get a wee bit more rain then most folks do. What your going to find is your console unless they fixed the problem does drop the links to sensors and computer. That was reason I went to the WMR 200.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 09:50:55 PM »
I've got one on the way that is the model with the temp/hygro built in below the anemometer in the rad shield. I have read about owners having problems with water intrusion. My hope is to avoid this with sealing up the battery compartment or wherever the water is getting in before I install. Any suggestions would be welcome... The station seems to last years if you take care of it from what I've been reading.
Lemme get this straight, you just bought brand new equipment and you're already having to modify it before it gets to the door?? You gotta be kidding me. :roll:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 09:02:48 AM »
Never had that problem with that. I get a wee bit more rain then most folks do. What your going to find is your console unless they fixed the problem does drop the links to sensors and computer. That was reason I went to the WMR 200.

Thanks. I did read up on those problems with the console. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »
Lemme get this straight, you just bought brand new equipment and you're already having to modify it before it gets to the door?? You gotta be kidding me. :roll:
I wasn't going to "Modify" anything, just asking if there was some place I should be concerned about double checking for water intrusion.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 02:22:29 PM »
Station is up and running about 6 ft above ground. Temp and humidity exact with the Acurite sensors I have. Wind speed is reading higher, so that is a good sign. Signal is steady, and notice the rain gauge only reads every 4 hundredths of an inch, but that is no big deal. I also note the sleeve and where water could get blown up into the battery compartment, so I will run a small section of rubber tape over the seam to seal it tight. This is a very nice station! I only paid $50 total including the shipping!!

I will update when I make the switch to the Oregon for internet uploads.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 02:24:15 PM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:24:33 PM »
Never had a water problem with 90 plus winds and 160 inches of rain . But it your station

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 06:38:47 PM »
I've hit the switch to the internet for the Oregon. Even had some rain. The rain gauge is kind of strange, but it is accurate to one one hundredth difference from my acurite that I calibrated. The humidity works much better on this station than acurites sensors. Theirs is too slow responding, or is generally 10% too high or low. This one really changes nicely. Thermometer is spot on. The rain meter is really slow to update, but it works.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »
As Scalphunter pointed out, there was an issue with the sensors dropping out after I hooked up to Meteobridge with the USB. I believe the placement of the console is what created most of the issue, but I am confident at this point the issue is fixed. The rain meter is what was not making contact at first, as I kept going from zeros to --- at times, and rain did not report until I fiddled with the console. While trying to find a sweet spot for the rain, I lost the wind. Then I lost the thermometer and wind while rain was reporting... This antenna is very directional inside the console. I found the console needs to be sideways to the sensors. If the front or back is pointing to the sensors I have issues. Once the antenna is angled properly, the signal is fine. It's too bad this unit is discontinued, it is very accurate in all aspects.

Now, should I get the UV sensor? Is it as good as everything else?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
My uv lasted 5 years so take that from there. Not much uv here during winter but it got an work out from long summer day. Keep us updated doc how things go

John

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 09:10:57 PM »
Everything is working fine. I have kind of noticed the anemometer tends to stop at the same point all the time, and rather abruptly, like it is magnetically drawn to that spot. It will even go backwards sometimes if the wind is too weak. Is this something you've seen?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 12:32:20 AM »
No that is interesting tho. Wonder what they changed there in the wind equipment.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2016, 04:15:32 PM »
I continue to be impressed with the accuracy of this equipment. It is spot on, and does not require any fiddling with. The rain bucket is working great, and is very accurate. Anyone who doesn't give good reviews of Oregon Scientific must not understand how to set up a weather station, or know about 433mhz receivers and how to aim an antenna.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
Scalphunter,

Yesterday, the main unit stopped during the night. All dashes, and I can't get the signal to come in, but the rain gauge is still doing fine. I think the wind/temp sensor needs to have the reset button pressed. I don't think the batteries are dead, since it is only 6 months since I installed the station.

Has this happened to you?

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:15:37 PM »
Yes it has. I just do an reset at the console.  It seems the 100 does tht more then the wmr 200.

John

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 07:40:06 AM »
Nope, not the console. I did the reset there. The outdoor unit is dead. I changed batteries, and pressed reset, but nothing. The little red light wouldn't even blink. I took the thing apart and it looked fine. The transmitter seems to be the culprit, so I trashed the thing. It only operated for 6 months. For the price I paid, and for the years it sat in the box somewhere, I'm not all that surprised.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
Ok  that what happen to my UV sensor  from them . Just quit sending data.  Well at least you had fun comparing. After 10 years the plastic on my  OS starting to break down espically  when one starts hitting the -40 marks.  going to  set up another wmr 200  as I like the multi temp units (10). where  with other makers your limit to just a couple.  Use in hot house, pump house, wood shed, crawl space under  cabin, and  upstairs in bedroom.
it just make it easier looking at one place.

John

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
I'm thinking of trying a WMR200, but I am waiting to see what acurite is going to charge for their new atlas brand of equipment. I found that the OS stuff is really very accurate... My rain bucket is still working just fine.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:34:03 PM »
Last accurite I had didn't last an winter up here.  was working good during but after it got cold. Sad thing it was only 6 months old and they didn't want to honor the warranty.

anything