Weather Station Hardware > Davis Instruments Weather Stations

Weatherlink/Davis programming question.

(1/2) > >>

wuhu_software:
I was wondering if someone could tell me whether or not there is a way to poll the current weather conditions from the VP2 while running the WeatherLink for Windows software?

I saw the VP2 DLL on the Davis site, that allows you to communicate with the console directly. That would be nice for a stand alone weather application however I would like to run along side Weatherlink.

There is also the WeatherLink Module SDK that would seem to be a logical choice for exporting current weather data. Does any such add on already exist?

Ideally the add-on would provide shared memory or some other real-time mechanism.

I am looking for something that is either freeware or open source.

Thanks in advance!

SLOweather:
The best way to do what you want is with VirtualVP,

http://www.wxforum.net/viewforum.php?f=45

although it's not free or open-source. I'm using it with VWS, WD and occasionally Weatherlink, and then also Tinplate's VPLive on one of the TCP/IP ports

tinplate:
You don't need to use the Davis dll to talk to the console. The console uses a fairly straightforward and well documented communications protocol over the serial port. There is an open source application written in C or C++ that talks to the console. You could look at that code to see how someone has done it.

However, because of the nature of the two-way communications protocol, your choices are limited for having more than one program talking to the console. You can:

1) Use VirtualVP which splits the serial data, and importantly, acts as a broker so that multiple programs can interact with the console as if they were the only program connected to the console,

or 2) use a straight serial splitter like GPSGate, but in this case only one program can send commands to the console. The other program would only be able to listen in on the traffic between that program and the console. So, to get live data for example, WeatherLink would have to be in bulletin mode for the second program to get any data,

or 3) write an add-in module to WeatherLink. Not a lot of people have gone this route, and there are some limitations on what you can do.

SLOweather:

--- Quote from: "tinplate" ---

or 2) use a straight serial splitter like GPSGate, but in this case only one program can send commands to the console. The other program would only be able to listen in on the traffic between that program and the console. So, to get live data for example, WeatherLink would have to be in bulletin mode for the second program to get any data,

--- End quote ---

I did 2 for quite a while with a hardware B&B Electronics DataTap on my old WMII and then with my VP2. It's a kludge at best. I was very pleased when VVP was developed.

Anole:
I'll second that.

VVP Rocks!

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version